CBS Sports and Tony Romo have mutually agreed to part ways


Statement from Tony Romo:“I’m proud of what I accomplished at CBS Sports over the last nine years. I approached my role as a game analyst the way I’ve approached everything in my life–with a desire to win and be the best that I can be. I'm going to use this time to take a break, something I've never done before, and focus on my health and my family before moving on to my next opportunity. I am grateful for my time with CBS Sports and for the continued support of my family and friends, as well as the NFL community and fans.”
 
I assumed they would factor in his playing career as well.
That was not the case until this year:

The Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Board of Directors approved a bylaws change in 2026 that broadened the definition of “Contributor.” Previously, it defined the nominee as an individual who has “made outstanding contributions to professional football in capacities other than playing or coaching.” Moving forward, a nominee’s full resume, including years as a player and/or coach may be taken into account. Separate subcommittees will meet to select 1 Contributor Candidate and 1 Coach Candidate, and both will advance to the annual meeting for consideration with the next new class. (link)​
________________​
​
In my opinion, Tony Romo was meeting that requirement, although slowly, before recent events. His broadcasting career was essentially just working in the booth. He never really branched out into other highly visible pro football related ventures.

Now, current events will put a huge dent in how the selectors' will judge his qualifications. He must make significant strides in both rebuilding and improving upon what he did with CBS to regain and accumulate more 'clout' in their eyes.

Getting into the Hall has always been a 'What I think you mean for the getting in' instead of actual resume. That includes negative highlights like he is dealing with now. Good luck to him as far as getting enshrined at some point.
 
From articles over the years, CBS had talks with Romo with his on-air antics i.e. weird comments, noises, getting overly excited and just strange behavior. This sounds like the excuse to move on from him.

I always thought Romo was a terrible announcer. The immediate shtick of him predicting plays before they happened, quickly got toned down and then done away with by CBS.
Romo actually understands the game.
 
I imagine his agent has been talking to them.

Getting out of CBS was a smart move.

He was locked in for 4 more years.

Plus the payout and then a new deal.
Smart? He was trying like hell to stay at CBS and reap that full deal. Every one of his released statements mentioned them.
 
Fox/NBC ......licking chops. Romo is ratings, just like Cowboys.

I could see this. Maybe not the lead commentator, but I could see him being one of the top calls for FOX as the second slot to start with. Or I could see Amazon picking him up. Unless Amazon reunites Chris and Al, and we get Tirico and Romo? That'd be cool.
 
My two thoughts:

1. I wish Romo the best as he fights through his addiction as well as his chronic back issues.

2. CBS needs to find somebody better than Watt to replace Romo. Maybe Watt grows into his post but so far he's been tough to listen to.
 
Romo was fun to listen to. I always enjoyed the games he called.

Maybe it’s for the best for Romo long run. Now he can focus even more time on golf. Which is clearly a major passion in his life. And he’s damn good at it too.

He’s made so much money I’m sure that’s not an issue.

I wish him all the best still.
 
Rich... but nothing replaces what it felt like on the field. I am guessing that hit him like it does some former players.

I actually liked him in the booth when he was allowed to say what he thought was happening. Then why things happened, etc...
He was really good at that. Not sure why people didn't like that.
 
My two thoughts:

1. I wish Romo the best as he fights through his addiction as well as his chronic back issues.

2. CBS needs to find somebody better than Watt to replace Romo. Maybe Watt grows into his post but so far he's been tough to listen to.
JJ and Witten terrible in the booth.
 
He admitted that he had developed an opiod addiction from his back problems and that trying to kick that led him to his drinking problem.

His problems run deeper than a careless dui.
Well damn I didnt realize he was on pills too. Mixing painkillers and booze is a fairly risky thing to do, glad hes still with us.
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,044
Messages
14,659,084
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top