News: CBS Writers/Editors rank NFL QBs

kskboys

Reaction score
Based on what? Because you are a Cowboys fan?

The last two years, Watson has a better rating and QBR than Dak.
Watson is a stud who will only be held back if he insists on playing human crash test dummy.

kskboys

Reaction score
Who cares. After this year, those rankings are gonna shift again and we'll be having another conversation. All the LOLs and speculations people put here will be put to rest again. And again.

And It's very likely that Dak could slide into that top 10 at the end of this year. It's not homer bias, it's simply a very likely possibility.
They shift all the time. Hades, Both when Eli and Flacco won super bowls, they were ranked top 3 or 4.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Over 10 NFL reporters/editors submitted a list of their ten best QBs right now and points were assigned and a final list was created.

Dak is not on it. Neither was Wentz, although he just missed apparently.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...gers-battle-for-second-behind-unanimous-no-1/

I agree with Donald being the best player in the NFL right now. And to me its not even close. But that is only when you meassure him by how he dominates at his position compared to others at their specific position. When you put in the value a position brings to a team you have to pick a QB.

I have a problem with Mahomes being No1. He was MVP and all. But lets see what he does in his second year after DCs had a season of film material and an offseason figuring out how to take away his strong sides and force him to be successfull by his weaknesess.

If he still plays like an MVP in his 2nd and 3rd season they'll have some reason to put him at one of the higher spots.

PS: I have a problem with "QB is the most valuable (or most important) position in ALL sport ". Maybe in team sports. But how do you compare a team player against an athlet in a solo sport? For instance a tennis player or a 100 meter Sprinter. Arent they the most important players in their (one man) team ? I know thats immanent by the sport itself. But still, its true.

Last edited:

sean10mm

Reaction score
PS: I have a problem with "QB is the most valuable (or most important) position in ALL sport ". Maybe in team sports. But how do you compare a team player against an athlet in a solo sport? For instance a tennis player or a 100 meter Sprinter. Arent they the most important players in their (one man) team ? I know thats immanent by the sport itself. But still, its true.

This is a bizarrely pedantic argument to make. It's not even wrong, it's just... so what? Nobody thinks that the other 52 players on the Patriots have literally zero value just because Brady is great.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
This is a bizarrely pedantic argument to make. It's not even wrong, it's just... so what? Nobody thinks that the other 52 players on the Patriots have literally zero value just because Brady is great.

I never said others have "no value". Thats a way to extreme look you have.i dont understand how you even can read that into my post ?!

My reason was how do you compare a team sports player to one playing a solo one.

sean10mm

Reaction score
I never said others have "no value". Thats a way to extreme look you have.i dont understand how you even can read that into my post ?!

My reason was how do you compare a team sports player to one playing a solo one.

You don't.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Tom Brady did. He wasn't much in college.

Allen has to put it together, sure. But the tools are immense, and he's tough as hell.

Tom Brady was far more accurate in college than Allen was. Brady was also more accurate how first year playing in the NFL than Allen was. Albeit Brady has the benefit of learning from the bench in the NFL.

Brady was also pretty much just as accomplished in college, as Josh Allen was. His performance was just as good, and he played at a much larger school. Brady was a 6th round pick due to a perceived lack of physical ability. Allen was a top pick because he has elite athleticism and arm strength.

Allen has the physical tools. But for somebody to think he will be successful, they need to believe and admit that QB’s CAN improve their accuracy. Because Allen won’t be successful long term if he doesn’t. His accuracy is horrible currently.

erod

Reaction score
Tom Brady was far more accurate in college than Allen was. Brady was also more accurate how first year playing in the NFL than Allen was. Albeit Brady has the benefit of learning from the bench in the NFL.

Brady was also pretty much just as accomplished in college, as Josh Allen was. His performance was just as good, and he played at a much larger school. Brady was a 6th round pick due to a perceived lack of physical ability. Allen was a top pick because he has elite athleticism and arm strength.

Allen has the physical tools. But for somebody to think he will be successful, they need to believe and admit that QB’s CAN improve their accuracy. Because Allen won’t be successful long term if he doesn’t. His accuracy is horrible currently.

Allen is as raw as they come, and he played for an embarrassingly bad offense last year. No receivers of note at all. And he did play better as they season progressed.

He went from Wyoming to the NFL. He had no idea what he was looking at, and he's NEVER had any real coaching at the position until last year. He has so much more to learn than a typical QB draft pick. But he's tough and he has perhaps the strongest arm in the game. Buffalo fans got really excited about him as the season progressed because he showed flashes of his natural ability.

But yes, he has a long way to go. He's just far from a finished product, unlike your avatar. That's why Allen went in the first round, and Dak was drafted with the special team picks.

erod

Reaction score
He's more inaccurate than Dak.

He's also as raw as they come from a college many didn't even know had a football team. He was basically coached by dads until last year.

Certainly long from a guarantee, but he's got serious ability. And most importantly, he's not scared. So many young QBs look scared out of their minds in the NFL, and they never develop because of it. That won't be his reason if he fails.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Good post!
I often play Devils Advocate attempting to bring a balance between those extremes on both sides.

I was often critical of Romo as well while acknowledging his assets. And I was bashed for that criticism as well.

Surely most see the assets Prescott brings to the table but we must also see the challenges his weaknesses present.

All I can do is provide my viewpoint. I don’t expect all to agree. Thanks!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He's also as raw as they come from a college many didn't even know had a football team. He was basically coached by dads until last year.

Certainly long from a guarantee, but he's got serious ability. And most importantly, he's not scared. So many young QBs look scared out of their minds in the NFL, and they never develop because of it. That won't be his reason if he fails.
I’d love to see what a QB with his raw passing ability and talent level could do in this offense although he might not be able to manage the game as well as Dak.