News: CBS Writers/Editors rank NFL QBs

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That may be true, but then it’s fairly obvious that most sportswriters also have prejudicial agendas of their own — readership, clicks on website columns, relative market-share, etc.
I usually only read sportswriters who are writing about the local team they cover. Or those taking a broader view like these were.

Not really interested in NY reporter covering Dallas.

Sydla

Reaction score
Tom Brady did. He wasn't much in college.

Allen has to put it together, sure. But the tools are immense, and he's tough as hell.

Tom Brady was an over 60% passer in college.

Allen was 56% passer. There are few QBs that were that inaccurate in college that went onto greatness in the NFL.

GenoT

Reaction score
I usually only read sportswriters who are writing about the local team they cover. Or those taking a broader view like these were.

Not really interested in NY reporter covering Dallas.
Local sportswriters often take preconceived Devil’s Advocate stances, regarding the teams they cover, for the very reasons I listed in my previous comment.

Conversely, many national writers often take a more balanced view of teams they have no particular stake in.

erod

Reaction score
Tom Brady was an over 60% passer in college.

Allen was 56% passer. There are few QBs that were that inaccurate in college that went onto greatness in the NFL.
Wyoming receivers.

I'm not predicting anything. I just think the guy is tough as hell with a great arm. I don't see fear like you do most of these "tools" quarterbacks from nowhere.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this is worth 30 million bucks a year then Pink elephants can fly...
This is it for the entire 2018 season of Dak's passing game over 35 yards completions.....I repeat the ENTIRE 2018 season.
30 million ya right.......????

QB passes that gained 35 or more yards in 2018.

Only QBs with 2 or more listed.

Dak was 9th in this category.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Where those stats from?
lol.....excel does wonders doesn't it......

Sydla

Reaction score
Wyoming receivers.

I'm not predicting anything. I just think the guy is tough as hell with a great arm. I don't see fear like you do most of these "tools" quarterbacks from nowhere.

There are a lot of guys with big arms.

History bears out my point. Few QBs in the NFL have gone on to be great NFL QBs while being sub 60% passers in college.

You backing a bad horse I would guess.

Sydla

Reaction score

Stats like this aren’t totally useful because for all these QBs, they had five yard passes included that turned into 50 yard plays (generally speaking).

I’d like to see a stat that shows completions and efficiency when a ball travels more than 20 yards in the air, etc.

I have zero clue where Dak would fall in an analysis like that.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
4th year. They all say it slows down this year. Working with Kitna on accuracy.

I doubt it will, change minds, but allowing this season to come to fruition offers the most insight into his skill set or lack thereof.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Stats like this aren’t totally useful because for all these QBs, they had five yard passes included that turned into 50 yard plays (generally speaking).

I’d like to see a stat that shows completions and efficiency when a ball travels more than 20 yards in the air, etc.

I have zero clue where Dak would fall in an analysis like that.

Sure there’s variables based on that factor.

These numbers are more an indicator of an entire passing offense’s ability to make big plays. That being said the QB is obviously a major component of a passing offense.

Watching that video. 3 of the passes were short ones that were taken long distance by the receiver. (2 screens to Zeke and the 10 yard pass to cooper against the Skins, where Cooper shook the DB out of his jock and made him fall).

I wouldn’t think the QB’s ahead of Dak have significantly less than that. But I would like to see the numbers.

erod

Reaction score
There are a lot of guys with big arms.

History bears out my point. Few QBs in the NFL have gone on to be great NFL QBs while being sub 60% passers in college.

You backing a bad horse I would guess.

I realize there are. And he may fizzle out.

But most big arm guys are chicken you know what in the pocket. Allen isn't.

We'll know shortly. He needs receivers in the worst way.

kskboys

Reaction score
I realize there are. And he may fizzle out.

But most big arm guys are chicken you know what in the pocket. Allen isn't.

We'll know shortly. He needs receivers in the worst way.
Now that last sentence I will not disagree w/!!!!! Two late rounders, underachieving Kelvin Benjamin, psycho Zay, and mini mite Jeremy Kerley are not some confidence inspiring dudes!!! Hades, Kerley might be the best of 'em!!!!

erod

Reaction score
Now that last sentence I will not disagree w/!!!!! Two late rounders, underachieving Kelvin Benjamin, psycho Zay, and mini mite Jeremy Kerley are not some confidence inspiring dudes!!! Hades, Kerley might be the best of 'em!!!!
Yep, it's a problem. Buffalo is a mess.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not getting the Watson love.

I like Wason. But not sure I get the case for him over Prescott or Wentz. He plays with the best receiver in the league.

Outside of that, the top 9 I have no real qualms about.

Statistically he was really good last year. He had just under 4200 yards, 26 TDs and his passer rating was 103.1. He completed almost 69% of his passes. His college career and the season he had last year has many high on him.