CBZ40: A Sad Bit of News For The Members Here... Cbz40

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HighTechDave;2886941 said:
ok, I'm blown away by this.

all of you didn't know this, but Weldon was actually a Family friend of ours in Denison, Tx. He was neighbors and friends of my uncle, Dad, and grandfather. He was a musician and played with my Grandfather and uncle in his younger days. used to be over at their house all the time.

I just emailed my Uncle to let him know. I know this will be a big blow.

this is not what I wanted to read this morning. RIP

I agree with Sally (that would be Juke). Any stories you can dig up on Pops and share with the board would be wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
shaketiller;2886969 said:
I've not been in a position to post anything since this sad news emerged. Very sad. This was a man who knew the truth of the words "A soft answer turns away wrath." His classy behavior was always a reminder of the need to check emotions, to consider carefully any urge to lash out. He was a man who knew, obviously, that all of these avatars, all of these nicknames -- there are people behind every one. There are people with hopes, dreams, responsibilities, loved ones.

In an Internet forum, it is easy to forget the flesh and the blood. It is easy to forget the need for civility. It is easy to forget there are men and women.

I didn't know this man at all, but I knew he had a big heart, and I knew he was a gentleman. He showed those characteristics, every day, in a forum in which it is so very, very easy to be otherwise.

His death leaves a hole that won't be replaced. I hope all of us keep him in mind any time we start to post something harsh or lacking in civility and grace.

That would be the ideal tribute.

Very well said. :)

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
shaketiller;2886969 said:
I've not been in a position to post anything since this sad news emerged. Very sad. This was a man who knew the truth of the words "A soft answer turns away wrath." His classy behavior was always a reminder of the need to check emotions, to consider carefully any urge to lash out. He was a man who knew, obviously, that all of these avatars, all of these nicknames -- there are people behind every one. There are people with hopes, dreams, responsibilities, loved ones.

In an Internet forum, it is easy to forget the flesh and the blood. It is easy to forget the need for civility. It is easy to forget there are men and women.

I didn't know this man at all, but I knew he had a big heart, and I knew he was a gentleman. He showed those characteristics, every day, in a forum in which it is so very, very easy to be otherwise.

His death leaves a hole that won't be replaced. I hope all of us keep him in mind any time we start to post something harsh or lacking in civility and grace.

That would be the ideal tribute.

:bow:

SacredStar

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this news. Rest in peace Cbz.

I never knew you, but I feel as though I did. Your posts were filled with class and a touch of that southern hospitality and a southern drawl that always made me smile. I just knew you were an exceptional fellow who loved all.

I will miss you and your dedicated passion that we all share for the Cowboys.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
HighTechDave;2886941 said:
ok, I'm blown away by this.

all of you didn't know this, but Weldon was actually a Family friend of ours in Denison, Tx. He was neighbors and friends of my uncle, Dad, and grandfather. He was a musician and played with my Grandfather and uncle in his younger days. used to be over at their house all the time.

I just emailed my Uncle to let him know. I know this will be a big blow.

this is not what I wanted to read this morning. RIP

That's pretty cool. I can only imagine he was a wild man back then. ;)

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
I admired Pops' because he was always cerebral and honorable.

You youngun's stay outta his Yard!

We always had to stay and read. He will be missed.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
I didn't have as close a relationship with cbz40 as many members here did. I'm not sure he would even know who I was, based on how little I contribute to the forum. Still, it was plain to see he was a class act and a gentleman.

He passed at a young age, and that is a shame. I feel for his family, and I wish them all the best.

But I think we all know cbz will be with all of us each and every Sunday as we cheer on our favorite team. Only difference is, he'll have a better seat.

superpunk

Reaction score
Terrible news. Seems that he lived a great life, hopefully the rest of us can do the same. Doctor Pepper is now the official drink of the superpunk-family tailgate.

HighTechDave

7 Years of College Down the Drain
Reaction score
Big Country;2889100 said:
rebel! lol

By the way... nice avatar in tribute mods...

:bow:

btw to you, love the F-111 Avatar. I did retrofit on them in '82 at the "bomber factory" back in the day, when they were rotated from Europe.

not to Digress, but My Uncle hasn't send me any stories on Weldon. might be dealing with it right now

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
I can't let this thread go away without saying one last departing note ...

I feel fortunate to have dialogued with Cbz40 . Cbz40 accepted me as a member here regardless of the opponent fan affiliation with the Zone.
We clashed as gentlement, and we had quiet chuckles as we read each Others replies to one another. There was no doubt I realized that I was communicating with a genuine Cowboys fan who had dignity in his language. Well versed and a great sense of humor ...

Originally Posted by Phoenix-Talon http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1374347#post1374347
The leather football helmet has it’s origin more than100 years ago first worn in an 1893 Army-Navy game. An Annapolis shoemaker created the first helmet for Admiral Joseph Mason Reeves, who had been advised by a Navy doctor that he would be risking death or “instant insanity” if he took another kick to the head. Later in 1896 Lafayette College halfback George Barclay so feared the fabled cauliflower ear on his “hearing organs”, which he felt was a direct cause of playing bare-headed, that he had a playing hat made. His design was a special headgear which was held to his head by three heavy leather straps fashioned by a harness maker, thus giving the first football helmets the nomenclature “head-harness”.

The Golden Era - The helmet as we know it today has undergone many changes in its 100 years. Helmets were not mandatory until the 30’s. Most of the 1890--1915 games were actually played without helmets. It was not unusual to see half of the early players with helmets and half without. Around World War I the helmets were so flimsy that they were often mistaken for aviator caps. Year by year more padding was added and from the 1920’s thru 1940’s, considered the Golden Age of college, pro and high school football — helmets, like the ones we are offering here, always were strictly of leather construction. Flying wing, colors and targets - Another interesting fact was that nearly all of the games in this era were played in unadorned helmets —school logos colors and mascots were rarely used. As the great rivalries grew colleges and high schools began to hand-paint their helmets.

The idea was that the simple colors, in the first days of the forward pass, allowed receivers to finally be distinguishable to the quarterback when they were heavily covered and far down the field. Not until 1948 was the first logo, the Rams horns, painted on a pro leather helmet. Soon after, practically every college, pro and high school team put their logos and mascots on their helmets. But the great old leather helmet was spared much of this “clutter” as it’s days faded into history before 1950.

Response from ...Cbz40

According to NFL history (see external link below) the forward pass was legalized from anywhere behind the line of scrimmage February 25, 1933. Before that rule change a forward pass had to be made from 5 or more yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Eddie Cochem, the Saint Louis University coach, was the first to use the forward pass in 1906. However, the play was not used widely until Knute Rockne and Gus Dorais refined it while lifeguarding on a Lake Erie beach at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio during the summer of 1913. That year, Jesse Harper, Notre Dame head coach, showed how the pass could be used by a smaller team to beat a bigger one. After it was used against a major school on a national stage in this game, the forward pass rapidly gained popularity.

Forward passes were first permitted in Canadian football in 1929[1], but the tactic remained a minor part of the game for several years. Jack Jacobs of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers is recognized, not for inventing the forward pass, but for popularizing it in the Western Interprovincial Football Union, thus changing the Canadian game from a more run-dominated game to the passing game as seen today. Remember it well......Just kidding ...... I'm not that old.

END
Response from ...Cbz40 END

Travel well Cbz40 ...

From an Eagles fan perspective ...yep, I'll miss you.

Phoenix-Eagle

Pukindog

Reaction score
HighTechDave;2889413 said:
btw to you, love the F-111 Avatar. I did retrofit on them in '82 at the "bomber factory" back in the day, when they were rotated from Europe.

not to Digress, but My Uncle hasn't send me any stories on Weldon. might be dealing with it right now

Isn't that a B1 bomber?

Deb

Zoner
Reaction score
I have been waiting to find the words to post something....all the mods here and Hostile have always been so good to me. I don't have a cowboys site anymore so reading his morning news was a morning staple. Been trying to find the words to write the staff here...but nothing is coming. I have been a member here for a lot of years and maybe there is no way to do it justice.

So I wear the yellow ribbon on every site I go to and I made a donation to the cancer society in his name. And I know Mr. Landry and CBZ40 are going to make a helluva announcing team this fall.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear this news. My thoughts and prayers go out to his surviving family. He now gets to watch his Boys from the hole in the roof. When the weather's good and the roof is open he'll have the best seat ever.