CFP Clemson vs tOSU

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
If you had never heard of fields or Lawrence before tonight you’d have to assume fields is the high draft pick, Lawrence a so so prospect.

To the untrained eye.....:popcorn:

Lawrence is by far the superior prospect....Only thing I didn't like tonight was TL putting the ball on the carpet. He's gotta take care of the football better. But he reads defenses....unlike Fields who is guessing.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Trevor Lawrence might need another year in Clemson...

Looks average tonight

Was under pressure all night long.....that will do that to any QB. Still..........he flashed the big time arm on some of the skinny posts....and crossers. He's NFL ready....physically. I would have liked to have seen a little more fight in him tonight. Sure didn't seem like he was engaged in the 2nd half once they got down big. Would have like to have seen @ least rallied the troops once to make it close. Seemed pretty content taking the loss. Never a good sign.

T-RO

Reaction score
He was outplayed by Fields tonight. Spin it any way you like.

In 3 games prior to tonight: Fields had four TD’s, five interceptions. You are the one spinning in circles, trying to make proclamations from one game.

I don't have a dog in this fight. Don't care which of the top 3 QBs are best. I already said I thought Lawrence was a bit over-rated.

Fields had a good game. Congrats to him & Ohio State. It lifts his stock a little, but doesn't erase all the other data.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I've said it for more than a year, while some of you were slobbering over Barbie.

Fields > Lawrence. Get rid of your Barbie dolls. :rolleyes:

I'm gonna laugh when your Cinderella breaks her shoe in the NFL....:laugh:

Hell...Alabama is gonna turn this kid inside out. Wouldn't shock me if he took the low road...and ducked Alabama....w/ the rib injury.

Qcard

Reaction score
Was under pressure all night long.....that will do that to any QB. Still..........he flashed the big time arm on some of the skinny posts....and crossers. He's NFL ready....physically. I would have liked to have seen a little more fight in him tonight. Sure didn't seem like he was engaged in the 2nd half once they got down big. Would have like to have seen @ least rallied the troops once to make it close. Seemed pretty content taking the loss. Never a good sign.
Agreed. There is no denying the talent. But Trevor Lawrence is not Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning though I’d put Trevor Lawrence in his predecessors Watson’s level, which only a tier lower.

Trevor Lawrence is a great prospect but he also benefited from a Clemson program that has produced 17 NFL drafted players... Clemsons defense has been stellar over last 3 years. They handed Trevor Lawrence 2 Ints and great field position against Tua and Alabama in Championship game.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Glad someone else noticed.....Holy hell....what a horrible game plan from the Clemson defensive coaches. They were content getting beat deep all night long...w/ no safety help. Fields had all day to throw...I think they finally blitzed once..and got home....then didn't do it again all night. Stupid....

Hate that single high safety defense....just asks to get beat deep on every play.

They couldn’t stop the run.

That was their biggest problem.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm trying to agree. But Trevor has a ring and OSU's most successful NFL QB is, what, Mike Tomczak?

what does Trevors ring have to do with playing in the NFL. He has not busted in the NFL yet. So hold your horses there.
Cardale Jones from OSU has a ring also. So do other OSU QBs. Same ring as Trevor

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To the untrained eye.....:popcorn:

Lawrence is by far the superior prospect....Only thing I didn't like tonight was TL putting the ball on the carpet. He's gotta take care of the football better. But he reads defenses....unlike Fields who is guessing.

pretty good guessing lighting a supposed tough defense up for 6 TDs. Plus all the other accurate throws. Most with hurting ribs.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Trevor Lawrence might need another year in Clemson...

Looks average tonight
Dude is really good throwing passes around the line of scrimmage, but this is the 2nd year in a row he has looked like crap in the playoffs when Clemson hasn’t had such a talent advantage over their competition.

Last edited:

Qcard

Reaction score
Dude is really good throwing passes around the line of scrimmage, but this is the 2nd year in a row he has looked like crap in the playoffs when Clemson hasn’t had such a talent advantage over their completion.
Exactly, Lawrence had the benefit of a loaded Clemson team.

Over the last 3 years 17 NFL Draftees from Clemson...

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Exactly, Lawrence had the benefit of a loaded Clemson team.

Over the last 3 years 17 NFL Draftees from Clemson...

The same logic that some use with Dak could be used with Lawerence. As they say Dak wouldn't be as successful on another NFL team with an inferior roster or less talented players than the Cowboys. But would Lawerence be as successful if he was on an program and college football that was far inferior to the talent that Clemson recruits every year?

Every QB does better when they have better talent around them. The thing is that they say that the Cowboys can't afford to pay Dak and keep a top tier talented roster around him at the same time. But do they apply this same logic to Lawerence. Assuming that he were to live up to his hype and eventually demand a big contract, would a team be able to pay him big time money and keep a top tier roster around him. Or do the fans who believe this narrative about Dak think that it would be different with Lawerence? Or do they believe that Lawerence will be elite enough in his NFL career to overcome a team's inferior roster, talent, issues and short comings on his own?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The season-long Barbie love fest came to a crushing halt last night. Please spend another 10 pages rationalizing it, explaining to us how you see things the "untrained eye" cannot, rather than acknowledging that you swallowed the hype and really don't know what you're talking about. :popcorn:

khiladi

Reaction score
I don’t watch college football, but I turned into the game a little to see the Barbie QB and I heard from the announcer.

Clemson’s OC was out because of testing positive for COVID and they had the young QB coach with zero experience calling plays. They didn’t even make an official decision who would be calling plays as of December 30th.

when Ohio State started running all over the Clemson defense before the half, i knew it was over.

That being said there is no sure fire hit in life, let alone football. You pick based on talent and analysis. Dak had five years of baby sitting and he’s mediocre.

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Trevor Lawrence is a great prospect but he also benefited from a Clemson program that has produced 17 NFL drafted players... Clemsons defense has been stellar over last 3 years. They handed Trevor Lawrence 2 Ints and great field position against Tua and Alabama in Championship game.
TL is way overrated IMO. I'll stick w/this kid. He's tough as nails which was shown again in last night's game. BOOM!

khiladi

Reaction score
Another factor that is maybe overlooked is Clemson played in their 12th game this season, while Ohio State played on their 7th. That’s five more games if fatigue, injury and bruising.

Of course an opposite case can be made as less experience, but I’d tend towards the former being more of an issue.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Dude is really good throwing passes around the line of scrimmage, but this is the 2nd year in a row he has looked like crap in the playoffs when Clemson hasn’t had such a talent advantage over their competition.
Very talented trio.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Some of these folks that carry personal hate for Lawrence---not because of anything he has ever done, but because they think he's overrated (or even worse, has long hair)---need to listen to his post-game conference. Or maybe learn more about him as a person.

The guy is always so gracious and complimentary of the other team

And when they pit him against, of all people, his old friend Justin Feilds....well, it comes across as really trite.
Those guys have known each other most of their lives.
Lawrence says except when their teams face each other, he always pulls for Fields.
He just raved about his performance.

I'm sure Fields thinks the same way and wanted to beat Lawrence and Clemson badly to get revenge for last year's loss.

They are just both good guys and great college QBs.

DFWJC

Reaction score
TL is way overrated IMO. I'll stick w/this kid. He's tough as nails which was shown again in last night's game. BOOM!
Come on now.
Having to force the ball into the endzone at the end of the game, gave him a weird int that skewed the stats.
Plus Ohio St was getting heavy pressure because they took the big lead and pinned their ears back....led to a lost fumble.

400 yards and 2 TDs with zero run game to lean on was not that bad. He can play better, but it wasn't horrible.

The Buckeyes run game just stomped Clemson. Fields was throwing into dumbfounded secondaries and under little pressure, relatively speaking.

For sure, flip the two players to the opposing teams (including game plans) and that list would look very different.