Chad Forbes gives the Cowboys a D for the offseason

Deionindahood

Reaction score
I don't know who it is but he loves the Eagles losing 7 starters on defense and replacing them with rookies.

Downgrades across the board. A!

Lol
Who were the 7 starters? I know they lost Hargrove and Chancey Gardner.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gilmore graded out as a top 5-6 CB last year if my memory is correct. I would take as many of those past their prime players I could get my hands on.

Schultz had a whopping 57 receptions last year. People here would have lost their #@%$ if we signed him for 8-9M.

I think between our rookie and existing TE’s, we won’t have a problem replacing Schultz receptions. Add in greater Pollard receiving utilization (hopefully), possibilities with Deuce in the passing game (assuming he makes the team), a healthy Gallup (I assume Dallas is aware of his progress), and Cooks (Dak is already raving about his speed), my level of worry is way less than last year.

I like Zeke but his loss has cost me zero seconds of sleep loss.

I would have liked some OL love earlier but I think Dallas is better informed of their plans than I. I know I didn’t have to be talked off a ledge when we lost McGovern for $23M.

And I could care less about Philly. Before I joined this board, I always thought it was Philly who obsessed about the Cowboys. My short time here has been enlightening.

Grades:
Free agency - A
Draft - incomplete…it’s an exercise in futility at this point
Philly is the team we have to overcome. Its not obsessing. They have been 2 out of the last 6 super bowls. We haven't been close since 1996. So, whether we like it or not, they are the standard in the NFC EAST. You should care b/c the offseason is when champions are built and they continually out-maneuver us and aggressively improve their team. Jimmy Johnson understood that his cowboys could not win a super bowl until he built a better team than SF. We have the same challenge now with Philly (and SF). Snag is they have more capable GMs.

Gilmore is soon turning 33. He is in rarified air playing at this level at his age. Lets hope he can do it again.

TE is a critical part of this offense. Schultz was often Dak's primary outlet. Not having Dak for 5 games cut into his stats last year. He was good enough to franchise and good enough to land a big contract in TN. Ferguson and Hendershot are not talented pass catchers.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah D seems kind of silly but I also wouldn't think we nailed the offseason either. I'd say in that B- range.

We needed a 3rd WR and got a decent one.

We needed an upgrade at CB over Brown and while he's not hte Gilmore of 4 years ago, this version is still an upgrade.

We needed help at DT and landed arguably one of the Top 3 DTs in the draft (granted, it wasn't a strong draft for DTs).

So while not exactly a home run, it wasn't a terrible offseason which is what Forbes seems to be implying here.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think 7 was the high level they could lose because people didn't expect them to bring back Bradberry for example but they did.

Hargrave, DT
Gardner-Johnson, S
Epps, S
Edwards, LB
White, LB

So technically, they lost 5.

They also lost some depth at DE with Quinn gone (although he kinda stunk) and DT with Suh and Joseph both gone. But they did add Carter in the draft.

Ken

Reaction score
Ya, my bad. I did what Sydla said, used the old number before they kept Bradbury. Ya, lost 5 defensive starters, top 3 tacklers.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ya, my bad. I did what Sydla said, used the old number before they kept Bradbury. Ya, lost 5 defensive starters, top 3 tacklers.
Three were big losses IMO - Edwards, Hargrave, Gardner-Johnson. Epps was OK but Edmunds can probably replace him. And White was ehhh, so there might not be much drop off with Dean taking over.

But the three losses were pretty big IMO. Morrow isn't a bad signing for one year to try to fill in for Edwards.

Reactions: Ken

Ken

Reaction score
Three were big losses IMO - Edwards, Hargrave, Gardner-Johnson. Epps was OK but Edmunds can probably replace him. And White was ehhh, so there might not be much drop off with Dean taking over.

But the three losses were pretty big IMO. Morrow isn't a bad signing for one year to try to fill in for Edwards.
White was their coverage LB. Certainly Dean can pick that up, my concern for him is durability. Small LBs have a tendency to break.

Epps was 3rd on their team in tackles and had a good year for them. I am sure they can replace him though.

Morrow is a solid, hold-the-fort type of LB for them.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
They had the best draft and stole De'Andre Swift from Detroit. The core of the team is still in tact. When you can replace Hargrave with arguably the best player in the draft, thats not a net loss. They still have the best DT rotation in the NFL. The LB core was the hardest hit but they have Nakobe Dean waiting in the wings for an opportunity.
So in other words they didn't get better anywhere and they didn't replace their LG. I don't see how you get an A when you don't improve a single position group or improve your depth anywhere.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So in other words they didn't get better anywhere and they didn't replace their LG. I don't see how you get an A when you don't improve a single position group or improve your depth anywhere.
They don't have to replace their LG. Landon Dickerson is still on the team. Why you worried about their OL at all? They won a super bowl missing 4 OL starters. They always have great depth. The only position group that took a hit was the LB group and they just *** Nolan Smith and have Nakobe Dean waiting in the wings.

Nobody brings back the entire cast of characters from a super bowl team. Thats unrealistic. They are stil the preseason favorites in the NFC.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
I think they half arsed tried. The cooks part of it i like everything else Meh! We could have used better better playmakers and I hope the line remains healthy. I think they could have helped dak more so Im kind of in agreement with risen which is rare
2 starters for late round draft picks

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
They don't have to replace their LG. Landon Dickerson is still on the team. Why you worried about their OL at all? They won a super bowl missing 4 OL starters. They always have great depth. The only position group that took a hit was the LB group and they just *** Nolan Smith and have Nakobe Dean waiting in the wings.

Nobody brings back the entire cast of characters from a super bowl team. Thats unrealistic. They are stil the preseason favorites in the NFC.
What are you talking about? Seumalo was their LG and they lost their swing tackle. They have no depth anywhere except maybe Edge.

But the point isn't how good they are or aren't, it's how their offseason was. You can't get worse or stay the same and have an A offseason.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Looked up Chad Forbes ...... A few years ago he was calling himself an Eagles insider

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there are a lot of guys who try to make a name for themselves by disparaging the Cowboys. We added a run stopper in the first round, Cooks, and Gilmore. Thats a pretty decent offseason for most teams.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Philly is the team we have to overcome. Its not obsessing. They have been 2 out of the last 6 super bowls. We haven't been close since 1996. So, whether we like it or not, they are the standard in the NFC EAST. You should care b/c the offseason is when champions are built and they continually out-maneuver us and aggressively improve their team. Jimmy Johnson understood that his cowboys could not win a super bowl until he built a better team than SF. We have the same challenge now with Philly (and SF). Snag is they have more capable GMs.

Gilmore is soon turning 33. He is in rarified air playing at this level at his age. Lets hope he can do it again.

TE is a critical part of this offense. Schultz was often Dak's primary outlet. Not having Dak for 5 games cut into his stats last year. He was good enough to franchise and good enough to land a big contract in TN. Ferguson and Hendershot are not talented pass catchers.
I get it….I just don’t get too concerned with things I can’t control. I’m well aware of how teams are built and the importance of the off-season. I’m not concerned with what Philly, SF, or the pre-Commanders team from back in the day do. I am concerned with what Dallas does. If they continue to develop, then they can put their product on the field and we can see where we stand.

And Shultz wasn’t good enough to franchise. It’s just that Jerry had some money burning a hole in his pocket and wanted to buy some time to get the rookies acclimated. IMO, they never intended to keep Shultz long-term. And I think it’s a little early to declare that Ferguson & Hendershot are not talented catchers.

The problem with these boards is that too many people want immediate gratification and look for doom & gloom when their expectations are not met. College to the NFL is the biggest jump these players will make. Sometimes it takes a while to coach them up and get them prepared physically. Fans like the new toys every year and are quick to discard the old ones.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Who is Chad Forbes?

I want to make sure I never take anything he says seriously.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You are really high on Chume Udoga huh?

They made 2 excellent trades IMO, lol
Go watch Edoga vs DLaw.. He's got impressive talent. I think they can clean up the pass blocking.

Reactions: Ken

Lutonio

Reaction score
As my close friend said after getting his test back in 5th grade:

D for DETERMINED.

Ken

Reaction score
Go watch Edoga vs DLaw.. He's got impressive talent. I think they can clean up the pass blocking.
No i like him, i think the Cowboys do too.

Not enough to say he is a lock though.