Championship season

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
There's several players who've opppted out for the 2020 season. That alone, tarnished their team. Especially if they're starters.

That's the sort of thing that won't be remembered 5 years from now, except perhaps by fans of the team whose starters stayed home.

The Lombardi will last forever.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Absolutely it would be tarnished and I guarantee the majority of the people who claim it wouldn’t be would do a 180 if Philthy or the 49’ers won it all.

They just don’t want to say it now because they think we have a legitimate shot at winning but once we lose they’ll get real quiet. I wish we had a poll where we could see everyone’s names who voted that it wouldn’t be tarnished and go back to them at the end of the season if Philthy wins and see what they have to say then. My guess is a lot of people wouldn’t answer because then they would have to acknowledge a rival team won a “legitimate” championship.

You seem to know an awful lot about what everyone here thinks. Then again it could just be projection.

There are always a minority of morons who change their opinions based on whether they like the team or not. That's true of every fan base.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No it will not be a tarnished season. Not like any of the Patriots seasons. Every one of their rings come with a questionable cheating type scenario.
Same for the Steelers and the ref bias on their rings.
I don’t know the first ring against the Rams was pretty legitimate.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You seem to know an awful lot about what everyone here thinks. Then again it could just be projection.

There are always a minority of morons who change their opinions based on whether they like the team or not. That's true of every fan base.

And the way he frames it....he appears to HOPE we lose...so he can be right. He makes a lot of assumptions abut people, and they're usually the most negative, insulting...and wrong. He must live a miserable life to have to use CZ in such a fashion.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we win a championship this year, the only people saying it’s tarnished will be the teams that didn’t win. Who cares? Champions don’t give a rat’s arse what other people think. That’s one sign of a champion, lol. If you do what it takes to defeat all takers, that speaks for itself. Let the people scream “tarnished” while we polish the Lombardi and laugh.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK so the Dallas Cowboys go on to win the division. Get a bye week. And eventually bring home a championship. Is it a tarnished season. Is it like beating a team that’s down with injuries. How will it be remembered in history
If they play a full 16 game season, then no, not tarnished. If the season ends up getting pared back to something like 8 games, it probably is tarnished.

aria

Reaction score
Look at 1982 and how that's perceived as far as a championship.

No one cared because it was the better teams that ended up there in the end anyway.

That playoff tournament was pretty cool for it's time also.
Not a bad point, if they could come up with something like the NHL is doing than I would be more apt to not think it’s tainted but that’s also assuming most rosters are full and the only reason players miss is due to injury which I think is highly unlikely with the NFL.

aria

Reaction score
If we win a championship this year, the only people saying it’s tarnished will be the teams that didn’t win. Who cares? Champions don’t give a rat’s arse what other people think. That’s one sign of a champion, lol. If you do what it takes to defeat all takers, that speaks for itself. Let the people scream “tarnished” while we polish the Lombardi and laugh.
Noted and if Philthy is polishing their trophy because half our roster was out when we played them I’ll remind you of this post :D

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Depending on how things play out, I probably wouldn't appreciate it near as much as I would in a normal season.

I'd feel like the guy who trailer'd his bike to Sturgis from the east coast instead of riding it.

aria

Reaction score
If they play a full 16 game season, then no, not tarnished. If the season ends up getting pared back to something like 8 games, it probably is tarnished.
So you don’t think if we get to the playoffs or play a SB game where the other team is missing the starting QB and/or several other starters then it wouldn’t be tainted? Would you say the same thing if it were the other way around and we lost the NFCG to the 49’era because our roster was depleted?

Not necessarily you but I find this would be the overall sentiment when we still have people making excuses for losing when we lost Tyron, Frederick, Zeke, etc and that was 3-4 years ago. What if McCarthy can’t coach a game and the interim HC makes Garrett like decisions? I’m sure that would go over real well.

I can hear the excuses now “We would have won if...”

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well, there is the group, and a rather large one on here that will whine about it.
But let's have fun with it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Like the Commanders...err, Football "dumb name" Team did in the strike shortened season? :laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depending on how things play out, I probably wouldn't appreciate it near as much as I would in a normal season.

I'd feel like the guy who trailer'd his bike to Sturgis from the east coast instead of riding it.

Well, in the end or in the long run, it doesn't matter how you got there, but you got there. :D

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Beware the other side of this coin. If the worst case scenario unfolds and Dallas goes 4-12 in large part due to a depleted roster there can be no excuses.

Techsass

Reaction score
So you don’t think if we get to the playoffs or play a SB game where the other team is missing the starting QB and/or several other starters then it wouldn’t be tainted? Would you say the same thing if it were the other way around and we lost the NFCG to the 49’era because our roster was depleted?

Not necessarily you but I find this would be the overall sentiment when we still have people making excuses for losing when we lost Tyron, Frederick, Zeke, etc and that was 3-4 years ago. What if McCarthy can’t coach a game and the interim HC makes Garrett like decisions? I’m sure that would go over real well.

Sure we would b**ch about it & have pages of posts about how unfair it all was because that's what we do. We would still accept that we didn't win it all...even tho we all know we should have.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No, because injuries are part of the game, and overcoming injuries and obstacles is part of what it takes to win a Super Bowl. Sure their are injuries to prominent players that will be remembered, but as long as all teams went through the full season they way all past teams have done then it just comes down to an unfortunate occurrence for the depleted team.

As for how I would feel if we lost with a depleted roster, of course as a fan I would feel shorted because the opponent didn't have to play us at full strength, but I would still acknowledge that it was just an unfortunate occurrence that goes with playing football, and that there was no guarantee we would have won without the injuries. .

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like the Commanders...err, Football "dumb name" Team did in the strike shortened season? :laugh:
That's a fair point. Over time things like that get lost or forgotten, and I doubt anyone today really thinks of the Skins .. er, uhh, the Washington Football Team … as a tainted champion that season. I assume, however, there is a footnote in the record books about the season having been shortened by a strike.

Maybe the perception of the championship being "tainted" is just a near term thing, but over time that fades out. Might be the same in a Covid shortened season.

aria

Reaction score
No, because injuries are part of the game, and overcoming injuries and obstacles is part of what it takes to win a Super Bowl. Sure their are injuries to prominent players that will be remembered, but as long as all teams went through the full season they way all past teams have done then it just comes down to an unfortunate occurrence for the depleted team.

As for how I would feel if we lost with a depleted roster, of course as a fan I would feel shorted because the opponent didn't have to play us at full strength, but I would still acknowledge that it was just an unfortunate occurrence that goes with playing football, and that there was no guarantee we would have won without the injuries. .
In no way can you compare this to injuries, injuries happen to one person at a time its not like a virus that deplete an entire roster in one day. IMO, I would hardly call it an “unfortunate circumstance” and equate it to injuries. I see injuries as part of the game not a virus that can wipe out a roster for two weeks, if not more.