Twitter: Charean Williams: "Goodell will lose his job over this"

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I dont remember Tagliabue or Rozelle being despots like Goodell... his crusade to "clean up the NFL" is at the expense of the players who make the game, and will make the next CBA a bloodbath with the NFLPA. Owners know this. They will cut ties before 2020.

It's exactly this.

Regardless of what people think about Zeke's case, the power trip on the part of the Commissioner and the constant litigation from the NFLPA will make the next CBA negotiation a disaster for owners.

It's all business -- and Goodell is going to be extraordinarily bad for business when it comes time to negotiate the next CBA starting in 2019. Part of those negotiations will maybe be the selection of a new Commissioner. Something to keep an eye on.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
There were always troubled players in the league. Goodell made it his mission to clean it up. He hasn't done it. He's made it worse. He's turn the NFL from a sports league to an episode of Law and Order. It is ridiculous. And I'm not just talking about Zeke. He does it to everybody. And he isn't consistent with his punishments. He's like a dictator. The one thing all fans have in common is they don't like him.

He hasn't cleaned it up -- he's just made players' bad behavior newsworthy rather than it being a footnote to the on-field competition.

NBA players, MLB players, NHL -- they all get in trouble with the law too but their respective leagues haven't had their commissioners become the center of attention.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As we like to say in the South.......Goodell is gettin too big for his britches! :lmao2:

slick325

Reaction score
If he loses the support of Kraft and Jerry Jones, he will be in serious jeopardy of losing his job. He's already chaffed both in the last couple years. Those are powerful enemies to make.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Goddell covered his butt by staying out of the investigation. He brought in a group of people who are not on the NFL payroll and had this independent team examine everything, conduct interviews, look at texts, email, etc. That group appears to be unanimous in the opinion that Zeke is guilty of behavior violating league behavior guidelines, and they made a recommendation. I'm not sure Goddell can be held accountable for anything other than the length of the suspension.

I'll bet everyone, even the police and DA, think he was guilty of something at some level. No having enough evidence to ensure a conviction is NOT the same thing as being "innocent."

Actually, the NFL very much paid their salary for this investigation. They certainly didn't do it for free.

The problem here is like Paypal of the past when Elon Musk owned Paypal and exactly how he made so much money back then. The arbiter of disagreements are also capable of benefiting from the decision. When a transaction from two different people was in disagreement, Paypal took the money and closed the case. Their EULA stated neither party could take legal action against Paypal and Paypal had the final say. Most of the time Paypal resolved the dispute by confiscating the disputed monies. ie, both parties lost the money, they both got screwed.

Like in politics, the NFL is full of cronyism. Roger Goodell, Kraft, Mara, and several others are very tight cronies and they are the biggest power sway in the NFL. Jerry is the biggest money maker, but he has stopped pushing his weight around long ago. He needs to get back on his horse and *****slap these guys again. Since the time we got the $10M cap fine and several times since then, the NFL has taken unfair negative action against the Cowboys and their players.

This is why I've started shying away from the NFL and already completely stopped watching the NBA. The NFL is next on my blacklist at this rate.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Actually, the NFL very much paid their salary for this investigation. They certainly didn't do it for free.

The problem here is like Paypal of the past when Elon Musk owned Paypal and exactly how he made so much money back then. The arbiter of disagreements are also capable of benefiting from the decision. When a transaction from two different people was in disagreement, Paypal took the money and closed the case. Their EULA stated neither party could take legal action against Paypal and Paypal had the final say. Most of the time Paypal resolved the dispute by confiscating the disputed monies. ie, both parties lost the money, they both got screwed.

Like in politics, the NFL is full of cronyism. Roger Goodell, Kraft, Mara, and several others are very tight cronies and they are the biggest power sway in the NFL. Jerry is the biggest money maker, but he has stopped pushing his weight around long ago. He needs to get back on his horse and *****slap these guys again. Since the time we got the $10M cap fine and several times since then, the NFL has taken unfair negative action against the Cowboys and their players.

This is why I've started shying away from the NFL and already completely stopped watching the NBA. The NFL is next on my blacklist at this rate.
Yea they say concussions will be the death of the NFL but it's going to be stuff like this. Don't even watch as many games a week as I used to and am probably going to cut down even more this year. I used to OD on pre-game shows and now I don't watch any of them. I'll drop the NFL long before that other stuff becomes a factor. Just keep it up NFL. Only so much some of us will take.

cej757

Reaction score
How they fired her and kept that lazy *** Clarence Hill baffles me

Didn't Charean report Marion Barber to the NFL and got him fined because he never talked to the media? I think that's kinda messed up that she would do that. Barber was always a quiet dude.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

All independent investigators are paid. The difference is they don't work for the NFL, so they have no reason to side with anyone. They have nothing to lose by being unbiased.

khiladi

Reaction score
Goodell gets paid 40 million a year. Any and everybody would want his job. The difference is Jerry doesn't want him paid that much, for just being a figurehead.

Goodell isn't making this decision unless he has certain owner backing.

khiladi

Reaction score
I agree he is a horrible custodian of the league but the owners overall see their profit increase bigtime during Rog's tenure, that's why they don't blink an eye over his 40 million dollar a year salary. We can argue that the league's success has very little with Rog and we'd correct in that assesment.

Us Seattle fans *****ed and moaned when he unfairly harshly banned Brandon Browner indefinitely over pot in 2013, I think it ended up being at least a 9 month suspension over 2 seasons. Ask the Hawks, Saints, Stealers, and Pats fans what they think about Rog, it will be pretty much what you cowboys fans think of him.

It doesn't matter what us fans think of him. It doesn't matter what 2 owners think of him, it matters what the entirety of the owners think, and as long as they are making bank, Rog will still be there whether we like it or not.

Actually Jerry wants all the owners to be involved in the rates set for the commisioner, not a select few among them Kraft and Mara, as well as Blank. He knows he is being overpaid and NFL success has nothing to do with Goodell.

People continue to watch the NFL regularly unlike other sports and always have and channels kill for having the rights to broadcast.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I think zeke has to act along with nflpa
Make a stand based on due process and punishing players based on accusations rather than actual acts
They didn't do **** for AP for spanking his son too hard, what makes you think they will do anything for Zeke.

erod

Reaction score
Goodell did a great job negotiating the CBA. The owners LOVE him for that, and should.

However, he so frequently overplays his power and mishandles investigations both directions, that he's turned the league office into the Keystone Cops.

This much power comes with certain responsibility. Goodell is too busy playing social justice god and trying to appease fringe elements of the fan base that he's turned pro football into an Oprah Winfrey group hug exercize.

The result is that the players, coaches, and owners have no freaking clue what the rules are.

He threatens Zeke with banishment, but Pacman just got arrested for the 9th time and plays on. He gives Zeke 6 games, yet Josh Brown gets one game for far worse. He let Michael Sam drive the NFL story for months when the guy couldn't even play, to the point of forcing the Rams to draft him. He's turned every weekend in to pink displays, military displays, color rush displays....and now he wants to expand the league to Mexico, Europe, and Canada.

It's never about the damn game. It's never about core fans.

The owners have had their fill. He'll be gone after next season, and the league will start to police itself in a much more even-handed and policy-specifc way.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Goodell did a great job negotiating the CBA. The owners LOVE him for that, and should.

However, he so frequently overplays his power and mishandles investigations both directions, that he's turned the league office into the Keystone Cops.

This much power comes with certain responsibility. Goodell is too busy playing social justice god and trying to appease fringe elements of the fan base that he's turned pro football into an Oprah Winfrey group hug exercize.

The result is that the players, coaches, and owners have no freaking clue what the rules are.

He threatens Zeke with banishment, but Pacman just got arrested for the 9th time and plays on. He gives Zeke 6 games, yet Josh Brown gets one game for far worse. He let Michael Sam drive the NFL story for months when the guy couldn't even play, to the point of forcing the Rams to draft him. He's turned every weekend in to pink displays, military displays, color rush displays....and now he wants to expand the league to Mexico, Europe, and Canada.

It's never about the damn game. It's never about core fans.

The owners have had their fill. He'll be gone after next season, and the league will start to police itself in a much more even-handed and policy-specifc way.
Well that's what should happen.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Actually Jerry wants all the owners to be involved in the rates set for the commisioner, not a select few among them Kraft and Mara, as well as Blank. He knows he is being overpaid and NFL success has nothing to do with Goodell.

People continue to watch the NFL regularly unlike other sports and always have and channels kill for having the rights to broadcast.

If players and the teams have to abide by a salary cap then they Commissioner Goddell should also be under a salary cap. Frankly, someone making that kind of money for doing basically PR job is overpaid. Heck he gets paid more than twice as high as the highest paid player for basically sitting on his butt and pretending to look important.

cej757

Reaction score
I wonder if Goodell has the stones to show his face in Arlington when the Giants and Cowboys kickoff Sunday Night Football week one. He may do it just to get a ratings boost.

erod

Reaction score
If players and the teams have to abide by a salary cap then they Commissioner Goddell should also be under a salary cap. Frankly, someone making that kind of money for doing basically PR job is overpaid. Heck he gets paid more than twice as high as the highest paid player for basically sitting on his butt and pretending to look important.
He's paid what he negotiated to get paid. Good for him. That's what I did with my job, too.

And if he didn't make great money, he'd have ZERO power. That would be pointless.

Coaches struggle to coach these days because they make a pittance compared to what their players make.

khiladi

Reaction score

And there is this story that him and Kraft are at odds, which is nonsense. Kraft is basically his biggest advocate, Goodell was in Israel with him this summer to open his sports facility and was just in his personal suite in his last game.

That alleged conflict is another 'show' IMO to keep the appearance Goodell's treatment of the Patriots is anything but favoritism.

If there is not Kraft, Goodell is not getting paid that much.