Check in for DC forum refugees

zerofill

Reaction score
Funny thing is... everyone was complaining about that board not working, but it always worked on my end, never had an issue. I don't post form my phone though, so maybe it was mobile users that had so many issues.

Although I can speak from experience, that Invision Powerboard isn't exactly great... Which is what they were using. For their frontend site, they are using Drupal, which is solid when configured right. But apparently the integration between drupal, and IPB wasn't doing well for many.

zerofill

Reaction score
Actually, I only had issues on my PC.

Yeah never had any from the computer on Windows or Linux... since I am in both often. Using Chrome though... since I gave up on Firefox a couple years ago... When they were releasing bug ridden release after bug ridden release lol.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah never had any from the computer on Windows or Linux... since I am in both often. Using Chrome though... since I gave up on Firefox a couple years ago... When they were releasing bug ridden release after bug ridden release lol.
I have Windows 10 Pro, and I use Chrome.

zerofill

Reaction score
I have Windows 10 Pro, and I use Chrome.

Weird... I wonder if it was ads or something that screwed things up for people. Have an ad blocker on most of the time, unless I am doing research on competitors lol. Maybe that blocked what was screwing with everyone else.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I couldn't agree more. The off season definitely has something to do with former members not yet seeking out this forum. I would add that our previous Cowboys message board was in such a poor state for months before the plug was finally pulled and that they only gave a 24 hour notice before shutting it down, that uninformed members may think the board is just down and will be back up after fixing it.
You make a good point I had not even considered. If the DC.com forums were having issues in the time leading up to it being shut down and since it was after the season ended, a lot of members probably tried to find it on the DC.com web site and assume it's either there and they cannot find it or it will be returning soon. So far the users continue to trickle in so hopefully everyone will ultimately find the site.

It is also quite possible that a lot of the members are lurking here, but haven't signed up yet. I have seen several sign-up comments from new users in recent days that you can tell do not realize that a lot of former DC.com users are already here.

zerofill

Reaction score
I have seen several sign-up comments from new users in recent days that you can tell do not realize that a lot of former DC.com users are already here.

I think mine was... "Dallas cowboys forum was shutdown" lol

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Although I can speak from experience, that Invision Powerboard isn't exactly great... Which is what they were using. For their frontend site, they are using Drupal, which is solid when configured right. But apparently the integration between drupal, and IPB wasn't doing well for many.
I really dislike IPB. I tried it several years ago on another forum site as a test for moving CZ over to it from vBulletin 3 (still the best version of vBulletin). The IPB software was very bloated and the front-end design was not optimized at all for speed. The worst part about IPB is that it relies heavily on caching .. and I mean caching everywhere and everything .. just to perform adequately under average traffic.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think mine was... "Dallas cowboys forum was shutdown" lol
Yeah, there have been several variations of that one including some that made me laugh and some that made me feel like I was auditioning for their approval, rather than me approving their account :D

zerofill

Reaction score
I really dislike IPB. I tried it several years ago on another forum site as a test for moving CZ over to it from vBulletin 3 (still the best version of vBulletin). The IPB software was very bloated and the front-end design was not optimized at all for speed. The worst part about IPB is that it relies heavily on caching .. and I mean caching everywhere and everything .. just to perform adequately under average traffic.

Oh yeah... and the caching often times could be a nightmare. Yet, you talk to them over there... they thought they made the holy grail with that caching they had. Had a couple different forums with a few thousand members. People drove me crazy after awhile... closed one, and sold one off lol...

You have my respect for dealing with it.

One was a online marketing forum... I would get messages from adults all the time crying because someone picked on them. Bashing members was one thing... but the things they would cry about drove me nuts. People would state something, and someone would tell them they were wrong... and all of a sudden they were being bullied lol.

Running a forum, taught me exactly why much of the world is the way it is today.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh yeah... and the caching often times could be a nightmare. Yet, you talk to them over there... they thought they made the holy grail with that caching they had. Had a couple different forums with a few thousand members. People drove me crazy after awhile... closed one, and sold one off lol...

You have my respect for dealing with it.

One was a online marketing forum... I would get messages from adults all the time crying because someone picked on them. Bashing members was one thing... but the things they would cry about drove me nuts. People would state something, and someone would tell them they were wrong... and all of a sudden they were being bullied lol.

Running a forum, taught me exactly why much of the world is the way it is today.
*laughs*

Yes, it can definitely be interesting sometimes dealing with reported posts and private message complaints. Don't get me wrong, sometimes the complaint is warranted because we do try to keep personal attacks/insults off this site. The problem is that some people have a hard time distinguishing different opinions from personal attacks.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yep, that settles it..... I'm a tech imbecile.

zerofill

Reaction score
*laughs*

Yes, it can definitely be interesting sometimes dealing with reported posts and private message complaints. Don't get me wrong, sometimes the complaint is warranted because we do try to keep personal attacks/insults off this site. The problem is that some people have a hard time distinguishing different opinions from personal attacks.

Yep, that is exactly what I mean...

Person 1: Look, don't you think my car looks cool?

Person 2: No, I don't like it.

"HE PERSONALLY ATTACKED ME!!!!"

Not kidding... that actually happened lol.

zerofill

Reaction score
Yep, that settles it..... I'm a tech imbecile.

Trust me your lucky... I am 46 now... and ignorance is bliss when it comes to tech. I started coding when I was 9 years old on a Commodore VIC 20 in 1980.

But, not the typical geek, since I used to restore old muscle cars as well... and have owned a lot of them over the years.

But, I spend way too much time coding, and I don't enjoy it at all anymore lol.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Trust me your lucky... I am 46 now... and ignorance is bliss when it comes to tech. I started coding when I was 9 years old on a Commodore VIC 20 in 1980.

But, not the typical geek, since I used to restore old muscle cars as well... and have owned a lot of them over the years.

But, I spend way too much time coding, and I don't enjoy it at all anymore lol.
9 years old??? And people thought I was different because I could draw well at that age! Lol

zerofill

Reaction score
9 years old??? And people thought I was different because I could draw well at that age! Lol

I always went by the fact that I think every person has something they pick up easily. Computers and anything mechanical was me. But, I think every person has something they can pick up easily, and excel at... Sometimes it just takes them awhile to find it.

I used to be able to draw well too. I could draw just about anything I looked at. But I was never good at drawing from my imagination. It was really odd... because looking at something I could pretty much trace it in my mind. Trying to come up with something myself... never worked lol.

Always liked comic book art back then... John Buscema from Marvel.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Me too runny. But I only used my PC but the site had been messed for about 2 months for me. But during that time, there was a two week period where it looked like things had been fixed. Then bam.back to screwed up... then bam. gone into the cloud.
I was wondering what everyone was complaining about at first, then it gradually went downhill.
I'd have to right click to use the quote feature one day, then the next day it'd be fine, then the next day there'd be no quote option at all.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every time I see my father-in-law open his... I have a Star Trek communicator sound I play on my phone haha.
You know, I would LOVE to have that sound effect on my phone when it opened :D My phone is so old, my ring tone options make MIDI seem advanced. The funny thing is I have always been into tech and I have all kinds of tech devices, yet I still use a flip-phone that I paid $15 for off Ebay and I have 2 more spares I bought as well :D