Chick-fil-A vs Popeyes chicken sandwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, it's not like any of you were passed out in your cars........................Right?
Ummm, some were and a couple in hammocks strung up in the park, another reason we were uninvited to stay overnight in downtown Baton Rouge. Hey, in our defense, who in the hell lived downtown in the 80's? All about the burbs, baby.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I guess it's the same everywhere, someone on FB commented, the service is slow, the employees are rude but the chicken sure is good.

The Popeye's closest to me closed about 2-3 months ago without notice. 2 of the 3 (haven't heard someone say they tried the 3rd one yet) remaining Popeye's in the area have been sold out of the chicken sandwich. There isn't a fast food restaurant in the world that is staffed well enough to handle that kind of increase in demand. That's undoubtedly why it's slow, and most likely why the employees are rude. It's fast food so I really don't expect much.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
i don't like chicken sandwiches but like Popeyes for fried chicken/bomb Cajun fries and Fila for tenders.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
stopped by the Popeyes yesterday afternoon just out of curiousity. Before the craziness I would stop by every couple of weeks for a fix of fried chicken and red beans and rice. (I am from La so those are staples in my diet) The line was around the building and out on the main road but I parked at the parking lot across the street and walked in. There were only three people ahead of me so I thought that was ok. Got to the counter and asked the gal how long for a chicken sandwhich.. She said all are made fresh so I would be #27 if I ordered. I asked how long just to get a couple of pieces of chicken and red beans and rice. She said 'Hold on" then proceeded to go back and fix it herself and bring it back. I gave her a $4.00 tip on top of the bill. I did not want the sandwhich anyway. That gal is going to be the manager one day.

here is a story where teh chic fil a workers felt sorry for the popeyes workers and brought them some food.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chick-fil-a-employee-gives-chicken-sandwiches-popeyes-workers-2019-8

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
chickfila-popeyes-321x181.jpg

StarMan2112

Reaction score
I’ve eaten at Popeye’s one time. I wasn’t impressed. Maybe I’ll give them another shot someday.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
What I don't get is that Popeyes is stating that their spicy chicken sandwich is a new addition. Maybe in the US? Anyone that's been stationed overseas knows these sandwiches have been on the menu (on-base Popeyes) for over a decade (maybe we were a test bed?).

Almost everything at popeyes is good...their chicken, biscuits, red beans & rice, mash potatoes & gravy, fries...even the chicken sandwich. The one thing that sucks at Popeyes, no matter where you go, is their service.

I like the spicy chicken sandwich from both popeyes and chic fil a. The customer service and better sweet tea brings me back to Chic fil a, though.

I did read a post this morning that Chic-Fil-A never runs out of Chicken Sandwiches like Popeyes does because of their Christian beliefs. They only need 5 loaves of bread and two chickens to feed 5000.
I thought that was funny....
:thumbdown:

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny thing to me is that the differences between the two really don't have much to do with the chicken itself.
Most chicken is not that much different.

To me it is the other things they offer and I think Popeyes side dishes are the best. Red beans/Rice, better fries than Chics soggy waffles fries, mashed taters gravy and so on.

I can go to Popeyes and eat whatever in the rest but always wind up getting some sides (mostly red beans/rice) to take home for later.

I will say this for Chic though...at least in my area, the business is much cleaner inside. I don't see much difference in overall service but the Chic was much cleaner inside than the popeyes.
But that was just in the area I was in. Most of the time when I was down in Louisiana there was no issue with the cleanliness inside.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
I like both sandwiches, have had them multiple times. The reality, though across the U.S. wherever I go, chicfila is mostly busy, always some type of wait. Popeyes not so much. Go to the airport and look for the longest food line and it will be chicfila. I will eat popeyes once every few months I could eat chicfila weekly, though I don't.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Funny thing to me is that the differences between the two really don't have much to do with the chicken itself.

To me it is the other things they offer and I think Popeyes side dishes are the best. Red beans/Rice, better fries than Chics soggy waffles fries, mashed taters gravy and so on.

I can go to Popeyes and eat whatever in the rest but always wind up getting some sides (mostly red beans/rice) to take home for later.

I will say this for Chic though...at least in my area, the business is much cleaner inside. I don't see much difference in overall service but the Chic was much cleaner inside than the popeyes.
But that was just in the area I was in. Most of the time when I was down in Louisiana there was no issue with the cleanliness inside.
I've never been in Chick Fil A, but the Popeye's I went to was nice and clean. Of course, that might be due to the current state of affairs.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My wife frequents (or sends me on food runs to :rolleyes: ) about six Popeyes in our area here in northeastern Louisiana. There are only three Chick-Fil-A's too.

Not sure about cleanliness but restaurant upkeep is noticeably different between the two respective franchise locations. Chick-Fil-A 'seems' like they are constantly renovating both interiors and exteriors of their restaurants on a consistent basis. They maintain a brand new aura to them. On the other hand, the Popeyes' restaurants seemingly renovate whenever it is needed--and sometimes later. In my opinion, local Chick-Fil-A's are 'fresher' to visit than Popeyes.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's like a Whataburger v Burger King. To me, there's no comparison on the burger itself, BK has a better burger. But the finished product when assembled, Whataburger takes the prize.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My wife frequents (or sends me on food runs to :rolleyes: ) about six Popeyes in our area here in northeastern Louisiana. There are only three Chick-Fil-A's too.

Not sure about cleanliness but restaurant upkeep is noticeably different between the two respective franchise locations. Chick-Fil-A 'seems' like they are constantly renovating both interiors and exteriors of their restaurants on a consistent basis. They maintain a brand new aura to them. On the other hand, the Popeyes' restaurants seemingly renovate whenever it is needed--and sometimes later. In my opinion, local Chick-Fil-A's are 'fresher' to visit than Popeyes.
I knew the couple that opened the Chick-Fil-A in OK and they had several different franchise in other markets and he said Chick-Fil-A is the most difficult and stringent of them all, if you want to cut short on some of their rules. They have standards and don't waver from them. He said the corporate health inspection is tougher than the local authority's.

I have never heard of a Chick-Fil-A closing down but the last two markets I was in had both Wendy's closed down and it was due to health inspections.

It made an impression on me that I will not go to a FF place unless I've scoped it out on the inside first. If I get that hinky feeling, I won't go there. The KFC here looks like the chickens lived there before getting whacked.

Big_D

Reaction score
I tried both and I just don't see either of them warranting the lines for these sandwiches. They're good.. not that good. Outback has a new chicken sandwich out.. I'm gonna have to see how that one measures up.

Status
Not open for further replies.