Chick-fil-A vs Popeyes chicken sandwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Must depend on the store, because the one near me has very good, crispy fries, salted perfectly.
They’re just overall too thick and soggy. Same for Chick-fil-A they’re typically soggy fries but when they’re cooked deep in grease and are crisp they’re wonderful with the sauce. McDonalds just never disappoints with the fries

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They’re just overall too thick and soggy. Same for Chick-fil-A they’re typically soggy fries but when they’re cooked deep in grease and are crisp they’re wonderful with the sauce. McDonalds just never disappoints with the fries
McD's fries are soggy and cold every time I've had them since the 80's......That's why I don't eat at McD's anymore, other than breakfast, well, that and the rest of the food.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
McD's fries are soggy and cold every time I've had them since the 80's......That's why I don't eat at McD's anymore, other than breakfast, well, that and the rest of the food.
When I order mcds fries I tell them to make sure they are hot and fresh. They are the best when like that and the worst when they are cold

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ask for them unsalted so they have to cook them fresh lol
When I order mcds fries I tell them to make sure they are hot and fresh. They are the best when like that and the worst when they are cold
The rest of the food is garbage, so it's not even worth it to me anyway. I don't really crave fries enough to warrant going there.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This chicken sandwich war is out of hand. Read where one Popeye's is not going to serve them until people calm down as they fear someone's going to get hurt. The manager said they ran out and people were waiting 45 minutes for a sandwich. Wouldn't you think they would announce they were out? Then again, maybe he did and they thought he was lying and holding some sandwiches back for himself?

People are nuts! A guy bought 5 Krystal franchises, like a White Castle if you are not familiar, for the DFW area and the first one was about a half a mile from my house. On the grand opening, the traffic shut everything down in every direction and that had to have cops there for the first two weeks to direct traffic. The wait was between 2-3 hours for sliders. People were setting their alarms and coming back at 3am and there was still a cop on duty.

Cajun's Wharf in Little Rock still holds the record for gross revenue in their opening week and month in US restaurant history. The wait was 2-3 hours and they literally had people passing out drunk and falling over tables from too much wait and wine.

I don't know about you but to me, it's just food. I have never eaten anything that even an one hour wait was worth it but I did it when the first Steak & Ale opened in Little Rock. That was where I learned to drink martinis. Unfortunately, the lessons didn't include when to stop.

Hardline

Reaction score
The only thing I am ordering from Popeyes is spicy fried chicken and mashed potatoes because I know that's great.
I never ate at Chick Fi A but I highly respect the ownership and its Sunday policy.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
This chicken sandwich war is out of hand. Read where one Popeye's is not going to serve them until people calm down as they fear someone's going to get hurt. The manager said they ran out and people were waiting 45 minutes for a sandwich. Wouldn't you think they would announce they were out? Then again, maybe he did and they thought he was lying and holding some sandwiches back for himself?

People are nuts! A guy bought 5 Krystal franchises, like a White Castle if you are not familiar, for the DFW area and the first one was about a half a mile from my house. On the grand opening, the traffic shut everything down in every direction and that had to have cops there for the first two weeks to direct traffic. The wait was between 2-3 hours for sliders. People were setting their alarms and coming back at 3am and there was still a cop on duty.
When the first In-N-Out came to DFW about a decade ago it was pretty bad too, even a month after opening traffic was still backed up off of 75 at 2 AM.
I had a craving for Chik-Fil-A last night (gee, I wonder where that came from?) and at 8 PM the lines were obnoxious, even by Chik-Fil-A standards. They had two of the infamous Chik-Fil-A “crossing guards” and 4 people doing orders outside in the line. I know people have speculated that Chik-Fil-A is still going to come out great in this “war” either due to chicken sandwich hype in general, or serving people who can’t get their hands on a sold out Popeye’s sandwich. From my vantage point, that certainly seems to be the case.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What I don't get is that Popeyes is stating that their spicy chicken sandwich is a new addition. Maybe in the US? Anyone that's been stationed overseas knows these sandwiches have been on the menu (on-base Popeyes) for over a decade (maybe we were a test bed?).

Almost everything at popeyes is good...their chicken, biscuits, red beans & rice, mash potatoes & gravy, fries...even the chicken sandwich. The one thing that sucks at Popeyes, no matter where you go, is their service.

I like the spicy chicken sandwich from both popeyes and chic fil a. The customer service and better sweet tea brings me back to Chic fil a, though.

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
There's a Chick fil a in Manhattan with a line down the block every day??? lol Literally outside and down the block with velvet ropes and an employee stands out and lets people in? I've eaten it before and it's OK but it's certainly not good enough where I'm standing in line for a half hour. That's crazy. I give the edge to Popeyes. Their mashed potatoes and gravy are pretty dam good. If I was in a fix I'd probably wait a half hour for that. Haven't tried either chicken sandwich though.

Now the Impossible whopper on the other hand is very good.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The only way I'm waiting more than 10 minutes for my food is if I'm sitting inside at a table, and they bring it to me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I don't get is that Popeyes is stating that their spicy chicken sandwich is a new addition. Maybe in the US? Anyone that's been stationed overseas knows these sandwiches have been on the menu (on-base Popeyes) for over a decade (maybe we were a test bed?).

Almost everything at popeyes is good...their chicken, biscuits, red beans & rice, mash potatoes & gravy, fries...even the chicken sandwich. The one thing that sucks at Popeyes, no matter where you go, is their service.

I like the spicy chicken sandwich from both popeyes and chic fil a. The customer service and better sweet tea brings me back to Chic fil a, though.
Service at most ff's is pretty bad except at this BK that opened in Marble Falls. The manager told me the owner has Chick-Fil-A's in other markets but was beat to the punch here. He tries to apply some of their service principles.

There is another problem with restaurant help here. No college and a resort/island attitude that I've only seen in New Orleans. It's not everybody but work is what they'll do if they don't have anything else planned. And the management of these places has to put up with it because they don't have others lined up and they need the bodies.

The Chick-Fil-A, BK and Whataburger all have signs up Now Hiring $11 per hour, which I have never seen before. All three were delayed opening because the lack of help which is why Popeye's won't come here.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I’m sure they take it under advisement before putting the exact same fries in your bag that you were going to get before you said anything :)
Actually, the have to make them fresh when you order them like that. I do know the difference between cold stale fries and hot fresh crispy fries. I am not eating the former. If they come out like that I just turn around and go inside and get my money back.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Actually, the have to make them fresh when you order them like that. I do know the difference between cold stale fries and hot fresh crispy fries. I am not eating the former. If they come out like that I just turn around and go inside and get my money back.
I mean, fries are supposed to be hot and fresh. If you asked the manager he would tell you that every customer should be served hot and fresh fries, without having to ask. Now we know in reality it doesn’t work that way because of the logistics of the operation... even Chik-Fil-A occasionally serves me up some soggies. Most places I assume would replace or reimburse with no hassle if you complain.
I’m just not sure that asking for hot and fresh fries at the drive thru is going to do anything but echo through the speaker. You’re going to get whatever’s in the hopper. You may as well say, “give me a Big Mac, and make sure it tastes good”. You’re getting whatever Big Mac slides down the chute. Hopefully it tastes good.

nobody

Reaction score

Come to think of it, every employee at the Popeye's I went to yesterday seemed like their souls were all sucked out. Not a one smiled or said much when you talked to them. When handed my food, I smiled and said "thank you" and they just turned and move to their next task without acknowledging or smiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.