Twitter: Chidobe Awuzie on mindset change after leaving Dallas

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Let's not confuse ourselves that he left to get away from Dallas... he chased the money, PERIOD

And in the process ended up in the Super Bowl a few years later being appreciated for his talent. Hell of a good decision I'd say. Cha-ching and potential champion with a ring. Maybe others will look into that.

pancakeman

Reaction score
Every reference to blue-collar mentality in this cash-drenched league I take as pandering.

Dre11

Reaction score
That's a Chido Awuzie problem he chose to get caught up, Zack Martin, Sean Lee, Tyron Smith, Jason Witten all played under these same lights, it's an excuse , he couldn't stay healthy long enough here. These dudes always blaming someone for their shortcomings.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you mean that last statement?
Dallas and the surrounding area have always been about appearances and keeping up with the Joneses. It's concrete mountains and purple malls' majesty.

Lived there, aggregately, for most of my life and found it with a very shiny veneer but lacking a soul. It is all about how it looks.

glimmerman

Reaction score
That pampered culture. Jimmy Johnson made them work and they had respect and were hardened before season started. Now we got a bunch of divas..

Motorola

Reaction score
I’d argue Awuzie wasn’t playing that bad here.
Give me a break

Listen I like to hate my own team I root for just like the rest of you sad sacks, but can we stop pretending mediocre players like Awuzie were playing bad for any other reason than they sucked here?
He's not any better than when he played in Dallas.
Well...we will tune in Sunday evening to how much and how well Awuzie plays.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a Chido Awuzie problem he chose to get caught up, Zack Martin, Sean Lee, Tyron Smith, Jason Witten all played under these same lights, it's an excuse , he couldn't stay healthy long enough here. These dudes always blaming someone for their shortcomings.
I do not see what he's saying that way at all. I don't think he's blaming the bright lights just saying that's not his style. I don't think it was his predecessors, Terrance Newman, style either.

Players arriving in Dallas are not prepared for the show, most are just football players, they're not politicians or rock stars.

With all of their trophies in New England, the lights were never as bright as in Dallas. Same for Green Bay, Pittsburgh and San Francisco in their hay days.

Dre11

Reaction score
I do not see what he's saying that way at all. I don't think he's blaming the bright lights just saying that's not his style. I don't think it was his predecessors, Terrance Newman, style either.

Players arriving in Dallas are not prepared for the show, most are just football players, they're not politicians or rock stars.

With all of their trophies in New England, the lights were never as bright as in Dallas. Same for Green Bay, Pittsburgh and San Francisco in their hay days.

He did, he said the lights and the facilities affected him basically, that's on him. That doesn't stop you from working. It's a cop out. There are teams all across sports that win even with the bright lights.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That pampered culture. Jimmy Johnson made them work and they had respect and were hardened before season started. Now we got a bunch of divas..
I think they are just spoiled young men and not used to that.

I take myself back and if I had their talent and was a millionaire playing football for the Dallas Cowboys, I would have had a bit of an attitude and immaturity.

How does any young man prepare for what Dallas is? More is expected of him because he is a Cowboy, they polish their stars for them before they even do anything.

There was a very good reason why Manziel's parents did not want their son playing for the Cowboys. He was already a problem, Dallas would have been a 5 alarm fire for him.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
All we can say our lights get us is ex-Cowboys own the broadcast booth and media. I’d rather have some Super Bowls.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think they are just spoiled young men and not used to that.

I take myself back and if I had their talent and was a millionaire playing football for the Dallas Cowboys, I would have had a bit of an attitude and immaturity.

How does any young man prepare for what Dallas is? More is expected of him because he is a Cowboy, they polish their stars for them before they even do anything.

There was a very good reason why Manziel's parents did not want their son playing for the Cowboys. He was already a problem, Dallas would have been a 5 alarm fire for him.
Wasnt it Johnson that made the rookies play with a blank helmet and earn the star.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He did, he said the lights and the facilities affected him basically, that's on him. That doesn't stop you from working. It's a cop out. There are teams all across sports that win even with the bright lights.
Those lights are not as bright as they are on the Cowboys and they achieve very little.

It is easier said than done being some 23 year old guy playing on the Cowboys. The whole thing is a production; it is not a football team.

I think it also takes some time for them to wrap their heads around the dynamic of the involvement of the Joneses and they've never dealt with anything like that before. They didn't play at college with the AD in their team meetings. They had one boss and he was a football coach.

One of the more interesting observations I've seen was from that FA DB they picked up for almost the whole season and he moved on to another team. He said he spent a lot of time trying to figure out what was going on because team meetings were held up because the Joneses were running late. He wasn't being as critical as he was confused by how the team worked.

Do you think there is any player on that team that thinks any coach could bench or cut him? They had to get permission to bench Williams and most likely were told to put him back in. I'd bet all of the players know that it is the Joneses that set the starting RB and the one that will get the most carries.

Dre11

Reaction score
Those lights are not as bright as they are on the Cowboys and they achieve very little.

It is easier said than done being some 23 year old guy playing on the Cowboys. The whole thing is a production; it is not a football team.

I think it also takes some time for them to wrap their heads around the dynamic of the involvement of the Joneses and they've never dealt with anything like that before. They didn't play at college with the AD in their team meetings. They had one boss and he was a football coach.

One of the more interesting observations I've seen was from that FA DB they picked up for almost the whole season and he moved on to another team. He said he spent a lot of time trying to figure out what was going on because team meetings were held up because the Joneses were running late. He wasn't being as critical as he was confused by how the team worked.

Do you think there is any player on that team that thinks any coach could bench or cut him? They had to get permission to bench Williams and most likely were told to put him back in. I'd bet all of the players know that it is the Joneses that set the starting RB and the one that will get the most carries.

It's a cop out. Lakers(showtime)? The Yankees?
And as I said, plenty players here have played well under these same circumstances, it's your mindset. Yeah there are players that can get bench, this whole Jerry won't let a player get bench is stupid, Zeke got benched last year, Williams got benched, Collins got benched. The problem here you didn't have the depth to bench a player. Who are you replacing them with without affecting your ability to win and lose, when winning and losing is what you're held to. who did Jimmy bench? Parcels?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It all goes back to the same mentality.
It's hard to acquire a real head coach when you already got a guy who thinks he is Neo

aikemirv

Reaction score
Give me a break

Listen I like to hate my own team I root for just like the rest of you sad sacks, but can we stop pretending mediocre players like Awuzie were playing bad for any other reason than they sucked here?
Yeah, he is the same guy he was here. Could stay on the guy but never played the ball whatsoever - nothings has changed. SO is he saying he could not handle the spotlight that the Cowboys are and always have been well before the Jones family took over?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's say tomorrow your company decides they can't keep you and Bob. They decide to keep Bob and let you go. Tell me all of the nice things you are going to say about your old company. Awuzie was rejected and another chosen over him. He is human and probably had more he would have liked to say.

And how many here complain about the country club atmosphere and showbiz way the club is run but let an ex player even hint at that and you are all over him? Hell, Awuzie was only here for 4 years, 4 of the 26 years of our purgatory.