Chilling comment from Babe Laufenberg

erod

Reaction score
Yesterday on local radio, Babe Laufenberg was on. He is the color analyst for Cowboys radio broadcast and a very close friend of Jason Garrett, as well as the guy that was touting Romo back when Drew Bledsoe was still the QB. He knows Romo well personally. (He was also a backup QB in the NFL for several years.)

He made a comment that does not bode well, given the inside scoop he generally has.

Laufenberg said he doesn't believe Romo will be able to get through next season with his back issues. In fact, he said he didn't think he ever would again.

Coming from anyone else, that would seem just like a random opinion to fill air space, but it had a cryptic feel coming from him because he's generally fairly conservative with his statements.

I think the Cowboys' opinion on this will be evident tonight if they go after Manziel or Bortles as a "surprise" pick. Mayock and McShay have Dallas taking Manziel at 16, which seems crazy because I don't think he'll be there.

Simply put, I'll be upset if Dallas takes Manziel tonight because that is not an immediate need. But part of me will wonder if this is far more about Romo's back than Jerry's need for splash and attention. (Laufenberg thinks Manziel will be a bust in the NFL, btw.)

If Romo is close to done, there are very dark days ahead in Dallas. That would be the ONLY reason to get a QB in round 1 tonight. If that's the case, I just hope it's Bortles because I don't think Peter Dinklage can hold up in the NFL either.

More than anything, I hope Laufenberg is dreadfully wrong about this and Romo plays on, while we bring Aaron Donald to the Cowboys tonight.

lqmac1

Reaction score
I'd go for Manziel. Listen, I know people like Bortles, but the guy hasn't made a true name for himself until the Bowl game. Manziel on the other hand, has been projected as one of the best QBs since his freshman year. The dude is a straight up baller, and knows how to win, period. He was dancing on all the SEC defenses(very similar to NFL). Not one team, including Saban's 'Bama boys, could figure out a way to not only stop, but SLOW him down.

Gimme Johnny Football.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If Jerry drafts Manziel, then he'd use Romo's back as an excuse to hide the real reason he drafted him ... $$$$

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Wonder if rumor is true that Borles is their #1 ranked QB.

Gaede

Reaction score
I'm totally on board with a QB. Teddy's my favourite. Manziel second, Fales third.

cej757

Reaction score
I'll take Bortles, Manziel and would even consider Carr at 16. I've seen enough of Tony hobbling around the last few seasons to know he's on the decline physically.

I don't think he'll hold up for a full season with that back.

Big D

Reaction score
I'd go for Manziel. Listen, I know people like Bortles, but the guy hasn't made a true name for himself until the Bowl game. Manziel on the other hand, has been projected as one of the best QBs since his freshman year. The dude is a straight up baller, and knows how to win, period. He was dancing on all the SEC defenses(very similar to NFL). Not one team, including Saban's 'Bama boys, could figure out a way to not only stop, but SLOW him down.

Gimme Johnny Football.

I wouldn't be mad at Johnny football but I also wouldn't be mad at Clowney. I think this is a draft where we can get just about anything we want.

lqmac1

Reaction score
Blake Bortles will be a bust Jerry better not think about getting anywhere near this guy

Bortles is similar to Ponder, IMO. "He can make every throw" ... Yada yada yada, most NFL QB's can too. Does he have that killer instinct? That I must creat something for my time right now instinct? Imo, no.

Gimme Johnny Football

erod

Reaction score

Gimme Johnny Football.

So was Doug Flutie.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I said it before with us signing Weeden and Hanie if we draft QB in first round then Romo back is worst then we know. We typically sign a couple UDFA as well. Tonight we will know

ceerrece

Reaction score
I know about the love for Johnny Manziel, but just pick Teddy Bridgewater and i'll be a happy man.

erod

Reaction score
I'll let Tony and his doctors decide for me over his back probs, before anyone else.

My point is that Babe is close with Garrett and Romo, and he may be privy to those conversations with the doctors. I hope his back is fine, but as someone that has back issues, I can tell you once a disk is bad, it's never the same in my experience.