Chilling comment from Babe Laufenberg

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Check his balls batted down vs others.

Not sure what the discussion is here but to be clear Manziel and Romo are very similar in size as draft prospects.
Romo might be a full half inch taller....

Manziel has zero issues throwing the ball in the SEC where the starting DL go to the NFL. That's simply a weak argument.
He may have issues but that's not one of them.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Yesterday on local radio, Babe Laufenberg was on. He is the color analyst for Cowboys radio broadcast and a very close friend of Jason Garrett, as well as the guy that was touting Romo back when Drew Bledsoe was still the QB. He knows Romo well personally. (He was also a backup QB in the NFL for several years.)

Babe also gave up on Romo. How do you know he is not emotionally biased and ready to move on? Or professionally biased and wants new story lines to discuss on air?

jnday

Reaction score
My point is that Babe is close with Garrett and Romo, and he may be privy to those conversations with the doctors. I hope his back is fine, but as someone that has back issues, I can tell you once a disk is bad, it's never the same in my experience.

You are right and back surgery may help with the problem, but it's not gonna make him like brand new.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Not sure what the discussion is here but to be clear Manziel and Romo are very similar in size as draft prospects.
Romo might be a full half inch taller....

Manziel has zero issues throwing the ball in the SEC where the starting DL go to the NFL. That's simply a weak argument.
He may have issues but that's not one of them.

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying to him. He had very few balls batted down at the los. They showed his stats on one of the 10000 draft shows that have been on.
I just don't remember exactly. I think he had the fewest of this years top qb's in draft.

Section446

Reaction score
Nothing chilling about the comments, it's pretty common sense stuff.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Babe cried wolf on Romo last year too.
Now I even said throughout the year, something was off with Romo. And maybe he had this issue throughout the season. but it was unrelated from what babe was saying before the season.
I think he is just saying what most people belive coming off a back injury. Thinking the guy is done.

Where and when did he say this, is there a link to the source? are you paraphrasing. I would like to hear excactly what and how he said this. As well as if there was more said, like an IF his back isn't well enough...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Babe cried wolf on Romo last year too.
Now I even said throughout the year, something was off with Romo. And maybe he had this issue throughout the season. but it was unrelated from what babe was saying before the season.
I think he is just saying what most people belive coming off a back injury. Thinking the guy is done.

Where and when did he say this, is there a link to the source? are you paraphrasing. I would like to hear excactly what and how he said this. As well as if there was more said, like an IF his back isn't well enough...
I'm sure there's a podcast somewhere with Babe's exact words, but at this point, do you want to waste the time to do it now that the draft is upon us? All questions will be answered by 8 pm tonight.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I'll take Bortles, Manziel and would even consider Carr at 16. I've seen enough of Tony hobbling around the last few seasons to know he's on the decline physically.

I don't think he'll hold up for a full season with that back.

ya, those spins,dips and shake and bakes the last couple of years were pure hobbled

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Yesterday on local radio, Babe Laufenberg was on. He is the color analyst for Cowboys radio broadcast and a very close friend of Jason Garrett, as well as the guy that was touting Romo back when Drew Bledsoe was still the QB. He knows Romo well personally. (He was also a backup QB in the NFL for several years.)

He made a comment that does not bode well, given the inside scoop he generally has.

Laufenberg said he doesn't believe Romo will be able to get through next season with his back issues. In fact, he said he didn't think he ever would again.

Coming from anyone else, that would seem just like a random opinion to fill air space, but it had a cryptic feel coming from him because he's generally fairly conservative with his statements.

I think the Cowboys' opinion on this will be evident tonight if they go after Manziel or Bortles as a "surprise" pick. Mayock and McShay have Dallas taking Manziel at 16, which seems crazy because I don't think he'll be there.

Simply put, I'll be upset if Dallas takes Manziel tonight because that is not an immediate need. But part of me will wonder if this is far more about Romo's back than Jerry's need for splash and attention. (Laufenberg thinks Manziel will be a bust in the NFL, btw.)

If Romo is close to done, there are very dark days ahead in Dallas. That would be the ONLY reason to get a QB in round 1 tonight. If that's the case, I just hope it's Bortles because I don't think Peter Dinklage can hold up in the NFL either.

More than anything, I hope Laufenberg is dreadfully wrong about this and Romo plays on, while we bring Aaron Donald to the Cowboys tonight.

That tells me hes saying what he thinks. Nothing else.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I'll let Tony and his doctors decide for me over his back probs, before anyone else.

Yeah, I'm not giving up on Tony yet. If he is healthy, then we need to fix that putrid defense. The worst defense I personally have ever seen fielded in my 32 years of life.

Everyone in the organization has been very optimistic about Tony's recovery and even Witten, who is one of Romo's best friends, has said that he looks pretty good. Babe has been wrong before and I'll go ahead and take the Cowboy's word for it about Tony at this point. Of course, in about 8 hours we will all know if everything the Cowboys have been spewing about Romo's recovery is nothing but smoke and mirrors if they do indeed draft a QB.

I'm not sold on any of the quarterbacks in this draft. Even if we did draft a QB and had to eventually rely on him to play this year, we won't win. Gotta work on this defense that, aside from one player coming off a major injury, has not been addressed at all.

I'd rather us draft a QB among a better crop of players at the position. All my opinion of course.

erod

Reaction score
Blake Bortles = less talented Joe Flacco

Blake Bortles is nothing like Joe Flacco. Bortles can flat run, while Flacco is a statue.

He's a poor man's Andrew Luck according to the scouts.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Why? They had very similar college careers and are both diminutive quarterbacks. Manziel is about an inch taller than Flutie.

Romo is about 4 inches taller and 40 pounds bigger than Manziel. And Manziel throws sidearmed, unlike Brees or Flutie.

That's why Laufenberg doesn't like Manziel, because he throws from such a low position, he can't get the ball over the offensive line. He has to play outside the pocket, which just doesn't work consistently in the NFL.

Can't get the ball over the offensive line? What does that even mean? You think he's going to throw it at the back of his lineman's heads? You cannot be serious with this garbage. And on that same note, there is no evidence that I have ever seen that links passes being batted down by defensive lineman to the height of the QB. These are lazy talking points, almost as lazy as comparing Manziel to Flutie based solely on height. They aren't even on the same stratosphere in terms of talent and playmaking ability.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Check his balls batted down vs others.

Balls batted down as nothing to do with height. Look at the 2012 leaders in passes batted down:

Brandon Weeden: 6-4
Andrew Luck: 6-4
Josh Freeman: 6-6
Ryan Tannehill: 6-4
Andy Dalton: 6-2

erod

Reaction score
Can't get the ball over the offensive line? What does that even mean? You think he's going to throw it at the back of his lineman's heads? You cannot be serious with this garbage. And on that same note, there is no evidence that I have ever seen that links passes being batted down by defensive lineman to the height of the QB. These are lazy talking points, almost as lazy as comparing Manziel to Flutie based solely on height. They aren't even on the same stratosphere in terms of talent and playmaking ability.

Please learn football. Good lord.

This is the concern that ALL scouts have about Manziel. Brees stands on his toes with the ball high to get it over the line. Manziel throws flat-footed sidearmed, which is why he has to roll out so much.

This is basic stuff, man. You think it's a coincidence that most QBs are tall? LOL