Chilling comment from Babe Laufenberg

LOBO7

Reaction score
I had a disc problem back in college (i can't recall if it was L4-L5 or L5-S1) over 10 years ago.............. Developed severe pain in the lower back and then numbness developed down the left leg into my calf and ankle area over time. Did injections and exercise that only provided temporary solutions but eventually the pain would come back. I had surgery to remove part of the disc and have been fine ever since with some occassional flare ups but nothing significant.

Granted, as you said, I am not a NFL QB. But I can attest that I have had a disc problem that was largely fixed with surgery.

Same here L5-S1, surgery back in97 fine ever since, thank you God!!
I couldnt even stand up for more that a couple minutes before that.
Not everyone is so lucky though.

jnday

Reaction score
There lies the problem. We would trade away numerous picks to move up ala the Deadskins with RGKnee. Drafting Manziel does not fix all the problems this team has. Romo is still a great QB and building the team around him makes more sense.

Building a team around a QB that has had two back surgeries within the last year and is 34 years old rounds like a solid long term solution to me.

lqmac1

Reaction score
Good night man! I am not going to do your research for you. Opinions are great and all, but why exactly would you throw one out there when you have never seen him play? That means it is not your opinion at all.

A qb is not a need, it's a luxury(for the Cowboys). IMO, JF is the only QB worth taking in the first round, for us. My opinions on Bortles is strictly of off YouTube, Google and peers that know his game. Let's not act like Bortles was making elite defenses look dumbfounded on a weekly basis.

Never said he was bad player, but like Ponder, he'd be a reach. That's just my opinion.

jnday

Reaction score
Same here L5-S1, surgery back in97 fine ever since, thank you God!!
I couldnt even stand up for more that a couple minutes before that.
Not everyone is so lucky though.

I have had the surgery and I had to have a second surgery due to the cycle of degeneration it started in my disc. The doctors are saying that I will need a third surgery to correct the current problems I am having. I think the long term recovery is different for everyone. I found out that the older I get, the harder it is to recover. I have had three neck surgeries by the way and currently need surgery to remove another bad disc.

jnday

Reaction score
The scary thing is that Jerry and Manziel have the same personalities. They're drawn together.

Manziel comes from a trust-fund family with a very sordid past. They blamed A&M for all his multiple college troubles, and he was living the diva life without going to class. He thumbed his nose at everything about being a college football player except playing on Saturday.

He acts like Justin Bieber, hanging with rap stars all the time and challenging all authority. You bring him here, this close to his home and all his homies, and you're going to get the equivalent of Jerry the GM on the field. Wild, undisciplined, screw-it-all football.

That's exactly he may fall tonight in the draft, and God forbid we take him.

Did you hold it against Romo when he was chasing the Hollywood hotties?

LOBO7

Reaction score
I have had the surgery and I had to have a second surgery due to the cycle of degeneration it started in my disc. The doctors are saying that I will need a third surgery to correct the current problems I am having. I think the long term recovery is different for everyone. I found out that the older I get, the harder it is to recover. I have had three neck surgeries by the way and currently need surgery to remove another bad disc.

My disk had turned into a piece of leather that would slide up against the sciatic nerve. They removed the whole disk, left it bone on bone.

Good luck to you.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I would expect them to bench him rather than cut him.

I don't see the problem with benching him while he makes $27 million. You play the best players, not the guys who make the most. That's what Seattle did with Russell Wilson/Matt Flynn.

Romo makes more in one season than Matt Flynns total 3 yr contract he signed

Romo is the 14th highest paid athelete in the world. He is not getting benched for anybody and if you think money does not influence who starts, that is being very naive

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
A qb is not a need, it's a luxury(for the Cowboys). IMO, JF is the only QB worth taking in the first round, for us. My opinions on Bortles is strictly of off YouTube, Google and peers that know his game. Let's not act like Bortles was making elite defenses look dumbfounded on a weekly basis.

Never said he was bad player, but like Ponder, he'd be a reach. That's just my opinion.

Well, that's great and all, but since you suggested that Bortles had no "killer instinct" when he was in fact one of the best in college football last season under pressure and played the exact same amount of top twenty scoring defenses as Manziel in 2013, I would still have some concerns with how much you know about the player.

coult44

Reaction score
I will cry tears of joy if we get Johnny Football.

If JF is there, he's a Cowboy. In fact I can see JJ moving up to get him. Especially if Romo is hurt. If Tony can't play next season more than 4-6 games, it's time to move on...

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
If Babe is right and Romo can't play, the Cowboy discontent could reach a historic high.

I don't wish that on Romo.

Can you imagine if Jerry does pass on Manziel and Romo with his back doesn't make it out of preseason. Jerry would be crucified, even by those who are arguing against JF now (would come down with amnesia on their part I'm sure).

jnday

Reaction score
My disk had turned into a piece of leather that would slide up against the sciatic nerve. They removed the whole disk, left it bone on bone.

Good luck to you.

Thanks man. They have put bone in my neck and back with plates screws and two rods in my back. It can get serious in a hurry.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
Well, that's great and all, but since you suggested that Bortles had no "killer instinct" when he was in fact one of the best in college football last season under pressure and played the exact same amount of top twenty scoring defenses as Manziel in 2013, I would still have some concerns with how much you know about the player.

Kurt Warner was just breaking down the film on Bortles and said the main knock on him is he doesn't deal with pressure well

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Can you imagine if Jerry does pass on Manziel and Romo with his back doesn't make it out of preseason. Jerry would be crucified, even by those who are arguing against JF now (would come down with amnesia on their part I'm sure).

The hope is that the Cowboys will draft a QB they can develop. I would prefer a QB in rounds 2 through 5 but I am okay with JF at 16.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Honestly, I didn't watch him. But what competition did he really face?

I see your point, but I think the college competition thing is a bit overblown. What kind of comp did Flacco face? Big Ben? Kaepernick? Even your Big 12 QB's didn't exactly face stellar defenses. In the end, the guy can either play at the NFL level, or he can't.

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
Kurt Warner was just breaking down the film on Bortles and said the main knock on him is he doesn't deal with pressure well

Well, then he needs to do more research as well. Bortles was ridiculous in the clutch. I watched every-single-game. He was 6th in FBS in completion %, 1st in passing yards and 1st in passes over 25 yards amongst all BCS AQ QBs. Warner's opinion in complete bunk.

Truth be told, I am not thinking Bortles is the next big thing. I like Manziel better and I would say Bortles will probably be about Joe Flacco level in the NFL, maybe Big Ben if he is lucky and goes to a team like the Texans that can really bring him along. Having said that, it bothers me that people watch a little you tube and listen to other people that have done the same. It's perfectly acceptable to say "I don't know enough to have a qualified opinion" and move on.

erod

Reaction score
If McClay's opinion is used, I have no doubt Bortles is ranked ahead of Manziel on their board. If it's Jerry's, it'll be Manziel because all he sees are #2 jerseys flying out of the pro shop.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
Well, then he needs to do more research as well. Bortles was ridiculous in the clutch. I watched every-single-game. He was 6th in FBS in completion %, 1st in passing yards and 1st in passes over 25 yards amongst all BCS AQ QBs. Warner's opinion in complete bunk.

Truth be told, I am not thinking Bortles is the next big thing. I like Manziel better and I would say Bortles will probably be about Joe Flacco level in the NFL, maybe Big Ben if he is lucky and goes to a team like the Texans that can really bring him along. Having said that, it bothers me that people watch a little you tube and listen to other people that have done the same. It's perfectly acceptable to say "I don't know enough to have a qualified opinion" and move on.

I haven't watched Bortles enough to give an honest assessment myself but Warner is one of the fairer guys when breaking down qbs imo. No offense but gonna go with his opinion over yours

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
I haven't watched Bortles enough to give an honest assessment myself but Warner is one of the fairer guys when breaking down qbs imo. No offense but gonna go with his opinion over yours

Oh, no worries about that. Opinions are welcome and you are being up front in the basis for yours.