Chilling comment from Babe Laufenberg

erod

Reaction score
I haven't watched Bortles enough to give an honest assessment myself but Warner is one of the fairer guys when breaking down qbs imo. No offense but gonna go with his opinion over yours

Warner is often completely clueless on the set. I don't think he takes that job seriously because he doesn't seem like he does any research. He gets guys names wrong and he's not up to date where guys are playing. He still thinks Anquan Boldin plays for Baltimore, and he keeps referring to Kyle Wilber as Dallas' starting defensive end. He just doesn't research anything.

jnday

Reaction score
The hope is that the Cowboys will draft a QB they can develop. I would prefer a QB in rounds 2 through 5 but I am okay with JF at 16.

How often does that actually happen? I don't see many elite QBs that were developed other than Brady.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
Warner is often completely clueless on the set. I don't think he takes that job seriously because he doesn't seem like he does any research. He gets guys names wrong and he's not up to date where guys are playing. He still thinks Anquan Boldin plays for Baltimore, and he keeps referring to Kyle Wilber as Dallas' starting defensive end. He just doesn't research anything.

When did he do that?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Fair enough. Oh and Warner considered Manziel a project too fwiw

I would say that every QB has some warts this year. The biggest problem now is that qualified opinions get harder to come by because everyone is paid to give them no matter how much they know. Warner says Bortles has problems under pressure while Gruden raved about Bortles under pressure. Good news is that we are getting close to getting them on the field in the NFL so we can see for ourselves.

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

Reaction score
Why anyone thinks Johnny Football is going to be waiting after 15 other teams had a shot is beyond me. Just not going to happen.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's kinda funny.

Ever so often, I've posted the hypothesis that the front office *may* have some inside medical information concerning Romo's back. It would be prudent for the front office of any sports franchise to be aware of any medical concerns which might affect the level of play of their players.

Of course, Babe Laufenberg is not Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones or even Jason Garrett. Still, he may be closer to knowing something about Romo that many do not. So what if Laufenberg says something on the radio about Romo's back that *may* weigh heavily in Dallas' decision to use a high draft pick on a quarterback? Who cares if the pick is made despite Romo's $100 million contract or that he's seemingly throwing effortlessly this offseason or other counterpoints made about this very situation?? Who gives a flying fig if I, a guy who is as far away from the Dallas inner circle as a Coca-Cola can from appearing in a Sofia Vergara soft drink commercial, gets dismissed for saying practically the exact same thing, while Laufenberg's inspired thread is headed for nine pages???

I care, that's who. :(

158803389_-rodney-dangerfield-1986-tour-souvenir-program.jpg

SHUT UP RODNEY! :mad:

umm... Sofia Vergara...

Is the draft on yet? :)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'm not sure if any of the Top 3 are head and shoulders above the next tier guys. I wouldn't mind a Carr, Garrapolo, Murray or Fales later in the draft. I like JF and he is fun to watch, but he has question marks like the rest of them.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
How often does that actually happen? I don't see many elite QBs that were developed other than Brady.

You mean other than Brady and Rodgers right?

The other 2 of the 4-headed elite monster that exists today is Peyton and Brees.
Both on 2nd teams though Peyton obviously because of injury/age.

All those guys were developed.
Indy played through Peyton;s growing pains as he lead the league in INTs.
SD played then moved on from Brees.

Outside Andrew Luck what QB has walked in and been considered a true top 10 QB as a rookie recently?
RG3 looked like a maybe, Cam has had his moments but none of those guys have held that status.

ALL QBs have to develop.
You develop faster by playing but it isn't the only way as Brady and Rodgers and Romo have proven.

JackWagon

Reaction score
I'd go for Manziel. Listen, I know people like Bortles, but the guy hasn't made a true name for himself until the Bowl game. Manziel on the other hand, has been projected as one of the best QBs since his freshman year. The dude is a straight up baller, and knows how to win, period. He was dancing on all the SEC defenses(very similar to NFL). Not one team, including Saban's 'Bama boys, could figure out a way to not only stop, but SLOW him down.

Gimme Johnny Football.

But you have to have a coaching staff which will play to johnnys best traits. If i had Sean Peyton ... yea i would love to get him. But with Mr Vanilla and the Vanillettes on this coaching staff ... i dont trust them to do anything other than get JFF killed by leaving him in the pocket.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Yesterday on local radio, Babe Laufenberg was on. He is the color analyst for Cowboys radio broadcast and a very close friend of Jason Garrett, as well as the guy that was touting Romo back when Drew Bledsoe was still the QB. He knows Romo well personally. (He was also a backup QB in the NFL for several years.)

He made a comment that does not bode well, given the inside scoop he generally has.

Laufenberg said he doesn't believe Romo will be able to get through next season with his back issues. In fact, he said he didn't think he ever would again.

Coming from anyone else, that would seem just like a random opinion to fill air space, but it had a cryptic feel coming from him because he's generally fairly conservative with his statements.

I think the Cowboys' opinion on this will be evident tonight if they go after Manziel or Bortles as a "surprise" pick. Mayock and McShay have Dallas taking Manziel at 16, which seems crazy because I don't think he'll be there.

Simply put, I'll be upset if Dallas takes Manziel tonight because that is not an immediate need. But part of me will wonder if this is far more about Romo's back than Jerry's need for splash and attention. (Laufenberg thinks Manziel will be a bust in the NFL, btw.)

If Romo is close to done, there are very dark days ahead in Dallas. That would be the ONLY reason to get a QB in round 1 tonight. If that's the case, I just hope it's Bortles because I don't think Peter Dinklage can hold up in the NFL either.

More than anything, I hope Laufenberg is dreadfully wrong about this and Romo plays on, while we bring Aaron Donald to the Cowboys tonight.

If this is true then shame on Babe, that's a Huge Huge Leak of info!!! Otherwise Babe is just Trolling a major Smoke Screen Rumor for us...

Give me Bridgewater....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think that QB development through just sitting in learning is the best way to bring young QBs along, even today. The problem is the cap and it's implications. It's just economically hard to do that. However, if it were of an economic burden, if you had the ability to develop QBs in that way, more teams would definitely do it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think that QB development through just sitting in learning is the best way to bring young QBs along, even today. The problem is the cap and it's implications. It's just economically hard to do that. However, if it were of an economic burden, if you had the ability to develop QBs in that way, more teams would definitely do it.

There is zero reason why a team couldn't develop a QB now.

The old salary cap rules make it impossible but with the rookie cap the developmental 2nd or 3rd rounder will definitely be cheaper than a vet back up and the 1st round developmental guy is arguable depending upon slot selected.

I believe now with THIS CBA every team should have a developmental QB at all times.
It isn't expensive and the more bullets in the gun the better when it comes to hitting on a future starter.
But what now happens is teams just grab other teams leftovers that have been developed at least some already.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There is zero reason why a team couldn't develop a QB now.

The old salary cap rules make it impossible but with the rookie cap the developmental 2nd or 3rd rounder will definitely be cheaper than a vet back up and the 1st round developmental guy is arguable depending upon slot selected.

I believe now with THIS CBA every team should have a developmental QB at all times.
It isn't expensive and the more bullets in the gun the better when it comes to hitting on a future starter.
But what now happens is teams just grab other teams leftovers that have been developed at least some already.

I don't think there is zero reason. I agree with you that it is certainly much easier to consider this approach now, then it has been in recent years, precisely for the reasons you point out but, that's also probably why we are having this discussion now. However, to say there is zero, I'm not sure I would agree with that. You have to consider contract duration and the fact that players do move, based on lots of variables. You could easily find yourself developing a QB for another team.

At the end of the day thou, I don't think that's a reason for not continuously developing a QB. I think it should be a big part of every teams plans.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

I disagree. Trial through fire. Nothing compares to game experience. Bradford is a good example. Issue with that is many too quick to write them off as a bust.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I disagree. Trial through fire. Nothing compares to game experience. Bradford is a good example. Issue with that is many too quick to write them off as a bust.

I don't know that you can use Bradford as a good example or not at this point. I think the Rams are still trying to figure out what they have with Bradford. I understand the trail by fire line of thought but think about this. We basically did that with Troy and that worked out OK for us but lets say we did draft Manziel, for example. Remember back to Troy's first few years. Do you think that Manziel could survive the pounding Aikman took in those 1st few years? Every QB is different and some will be able to survive a trial by fire but most, IMO, are not like Troy. In fact, I haven't seen another Troy since the last Troy.

jnday

Reaction score
You mean other than Brady and Rodgers right?

The other 2 of the 4-headed elite monster that exists today is Peyton and Brees.
Both on 2nd teams though Peyton obviously because of injury/age.

All those guys were developed.
Indy played through Peyton;s growing pains as he lead the league in INTs.
SD played then moved on from Brees.

Outside Andrew Luck what QB has walked in and been considered a true top 10 QB as a rookie recently?
RG3 looked like a maybe, Cam has had his moments but none of those guys have held that status.

ALL QBs have to develop.
You develop faster by playing but it isn't the only way as Brady and Rodgers and Romo have proven.

I was referring to the ideal of drafting a QB in the later rounds as stated in the post. There are not many elite QBs drafted in the 3,4,5 rounds . It doesn't matter how long they develop, they never had the elite talent.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Just reported, Houston Texans working on trade for Pats QB Ryan Mallet. So there goes one team in need of a QB.