Chip Kelly versus Jason Garrett

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If by Romo making two miraculous dodges of pass rushers and heaving the ball to a spot with two receivers in it, yeah that's great execution.

Just like the coaching staff drew it up.

Romo made a miracle happen there. More of his backyard offense. And Willliams made as good a catch as I've seen in years.

There was more "luck" in that play than good execution. Hence the free rushers.

No escaping pressure is not luck, Romo does it quite often, Romo outside the pocket signals Williams to come across the field and throws a perfect pass and Williams makes the grab. That is not luck. Is that the play that was drawn up? No but then that in and of itself does not make it luck.

scooper

Reaction score
No escaping pressure is not luck, Romo does it quite often, Romo outside the pocket signals Williams to come across the field and throws a perfect pass and Williams makes the grab. That is not luck. Is that the play that was drawn up? No but then that in and of itself does not make it luck.

I stand by my statement. There was as much "luck" in that play as there was "execution."

BluMen

Reaction score
Didn't Chip make the playoffs in his first season? We're on the 4 year plan...

Seriously? Barry Switzer also won a Super Bowl. The eagles were in much better shape when Chip took than when Garrett took over the Cowboys.

blindzebra

Reaction score
The eagles head coach accomplished in one year what Our head coach hasn't been able to in over three years, despite not having a franchise quarterback and having to completely overhaul the roster.

Resumes and logic point to Chip Kelly being a better and more successful head coach.

Deep down you know this is true. As such, you're having to cite such unfounded things as refs and luck and hope others ignore your intellectual dishonesty just to give Garrett a leg to stand on.

Kind of sad, really.

Chip Kelly is the better coach. Year one, he takes a below average QB and roster and wins the division.

Garrett with a franchise qb hasn't been able to get the job done.

And I know, I know.... had Romo played in week 17 we probably would've won that game and the division. Sadly, had Jason Garrett not so horrendously mismanaged the Lions and Packers game, that week 17 game wouldn't have even mattered. Sucks when your head coach costs you games, doesn't it?

There is that Lions game BS again.

scooper

Reaction score
Seriously? Barry Switzer also won a Super Bowl. The eagles were in much better shape when Chip took than when Garrett took over the Cowboys.

Which coach inherited a franchise QB, hall of fame TE, hall of fame pass rusher, blue chip young talent at WR, MLB, and a team a year off of an 11-5 record, division title, and playoff win?

Because I'm pretty sure it was Garrett.

But please tell us how he's had to revamp the roster while ignoring he's on year four and Kelly replaced more than 2/3s of the Eagles 2012 roster.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which coach inherited a franchise QB, hall of fame TE, hall of fame pass rusher, blue chip young talent at WR, MLB, and a team a year off of an 11-5 record, division title, and playoff win?

But please tell us how he's had to revamp the roster while ignoring he's on year four and Kelly replaced more than 2/3s of the Eagles 2012 roster.

Garrett also inherited Jerry Jones and the bat bleep crazy Jones family.

If you don't see the difference, you're lost.

scooper

Reaction score

Parcels did too. Still made the playoffs with Quincy Carter. Wade had Jerry and his family. Still won the division and a playoff game.

If you have a franchise QB and good coaching, you can win in this league. For too long, we've had a franchise QB and subpar coaching. Thus us toiling in mediocracy.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Parcels did too. Still made the playoffs with Quincy Carter. Wade had Jerry and his family. Still won the division and a playoff game.

If you have a franchise QB and good coaching, you can win in this league. For too long, we've had a franchise QB and subpar coaching. Thus us toiling in mediocracy.

Oh, look everybody: sports message board kabuki. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Wow, 16 pages..............LOL

How about a compromise instead of all this arguing.................lets wait and see what happen in the two games when Garrett and Chip go head to head.

If Chip totally schools Garrett and the Eagles win both games...............then we can say Chip is better.

If Garrett totally schools Chip and the Boyz win both games.................then we can say that Garrett is better.

If they coach to a draw and the two teams split with each other.................then we can say that Garrett and Chip are about the same coaching wise.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Wow, 16 pages..............LOL

How about a compromise instead of all this arguing.................lets wait and see what happen in the two games when Garrett and Chip go head to head.

If Chip totally schools Garrett and the Eagles win both games...............then we can say Chip is better.

If Garrett totally schools Chip and the Boyz win both games.................then we can say that Garrett is better.

If they coach to a draw and the two teams split with each other.................then we can say that Garrett and Chip are about the same coaching wise.

That would be great:D, but that isn't what this argument involves. It involves Kelly's coaching influence in the quick turn around, not his golden prowess established as a HC. Kelly is being used as a barometer because he has outdone Garret in 1/4 of the time...that is all. If we wanted to compare great HC's in general, JG wouldn't even be in the discussion tbh; Kelly only bc he made the playoffs without a franchise QB and sustained success into his second season but he is still has a ways to go himself. That is part of the disconnect (in general, not just your post specifically) in this exchange. Still hope the Eagles crash and burn...

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Parcells had the skins on the wall to force the lunatic to make concessions when he was hired. They talked about it at length when he took the job.

Garrett doesn't have that resume.

Honestly, its amazing to me how completely clueless a lot of our diehard fans are to what actually takes place with this team.

scooper

Reaction score
Parcells had the skins on the wall to force the lunatic to make concessions when he was hired. They talked about it at length when he took the job.

Garrett doesn't have that resume.

Honestly, its amazing to me how completely clueless a lot of our diehard fans are to what actually takes place with this team.

Parcels best coaching job was his first year here, winning with a laughable roster. That was superior coaching.

Wade also had a lot of success here. He didn't have the skins on the wall but he could coach defense.

Jason gives us no advantage whatsoever. But it isn't his fault, per se. He's in over his head. No way anyone should be an NFL coach after only what, 7 years total coaching experience on any level.

There is a reason this team has gone through three play callers and three defensive coordinators since Jason took over as head coach 4 years ago. He isn't sure what he's doing, isn't succeeding, and others are playing scapegoats.

I'll grant you very few coaches will have legitimate success with this GM, but Jason is as mediocre a coach as there is in the NFL. He isn't the answer. Jerry keeps him because Jerry isn't walking on egg shells.

erod

Reaction score

You mean the team that was 1-7 and giving up 40 points a game when Wade was fired?

scooper

Reaction score
You mean the team that was 1-7 and giving up 40 points a game when Wade was fired?

The team quit on Wade. That was obvious. It went 11-5 the year before with largely the same roster. And Garrett had a hand in a number of those losses.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If anybody at all is fooled by the play acting we've got going on in this thread between Risen and scooper---and I can't imagine how in the world anybody would be--you just need to look at scooper's pretend-pivot here on Jason Garrett to understand the game that's going on here:

Today:

...Jason gives us no advantage whatsoever. But it isn't his fault, per se. He's in over his head. No way anyone should be an NFL coach after only what, 7 years total coaching experience on any level.

There is a reason this team has gone through three play callers and three defensive coordinators since Jason took over as head coach 4 years ago. He isn't sure what he's doing, isn't succeeding, and others are playing scapegoats.

I'll grant you very few coaches will have legitimate success with this GM, but Jason is as mediocre a coach as there is in the NFL. He isn't the answer. Jerry keeps him because Jerry isn't walking on egg shells.

Vs. June 3, 2014, *before* the 6 game winning streak and 7-3 at the bye:
I'm not even going to read this thread. Jason Garrett is a good young coach. Has he had some ups and downs? Sure! What good young coach hasn't? Don't hold him to a higher standard just because you're an angry fan. Remember he was in high demand before he took his job. There's a reason for that. He's a good coach.

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/ive-got-to-address-the-garrett-hate.290311/page-5#post-5567985

We allow posters who follow the guidelines to share their thoughts here, which I think is a good thing. It doesn't mean we have to pretend you guys are sincere. This sort of juvenile play-acting from grown men I find embarrassing, personally.

I lump it in the same category I reserve for our Snowbirds who only show up in the winter to complain about the temperature and drive-by snipe without supporting opinions. It's all garbage, but we allow garbage here up to a point.