Chip Kelly versus Jason Garrett

Zman5

Reaction score
That top-5 pass rusher was on a historically bad team last season. The two years before that, the top 5 QB had no line protection.

Chip Kelly won with Vick and Foles last year and they have had almost all their OL injured most of the season this year.

You can make an argument against Chip Kelly's system but to say JG is better is totally incorrect based on what both coaches have accomplished so far.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
People have been saying that Foles might not get his spot back when he's healthy because of Sanchez. The difference from Tony to Orton or Weeden is much larger than any gap between Napoleon Dynamite and Dirty Sanchez.

I think Kelly is a good coach and is doing a good job in Philly, but the difference between his starting and backup QB is much smaller than the difference between Romo and his backup.

Neither Foles or Sanchez are anywhere near the same stratosphere as Romo, so while the drop off is bigger, that's largely because Foles is on a much, much, much lower level than Romo to begin with.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Chip Kelly won with Vick and Foles last year and they have had almost all their OL injured most of the season this year.

You can make an argument against Chip Kelly's system but to say JG is better is totally incorrect based on what both coaches have accomplished so far.

Hey, FYI....the eagles could use more fans, if you get my drift.

erod

Reaction score
Team JG inherited was a team that won a playoff game year before he inherited. He had a top 5 qb and a top 5 pass rusher. Two positions most teams don't have at the same time. He had enough talent to win.

He could have won the division last year if he was a half a coach you are making him out to be. A good coach does not lose that GB and Detroit game from last year.

He inherited a team that 1-7 and had gotten extremely old. Gurode, Davis, Barber, Williams, Kozier, Columbo, Brooking, James, Olshansky, Hamlin, etc, etc, etc. Not to mention the beginning of the Ratliff mess, and the quick downturns of Felix Jones, Ware, Newman, Jenkins, etc.

And there was ZERO depth and a nightmare salary cap situation. Garrett purged the roster to its core, keeping only Romo, Dez, Witten, Spencer, and Free. By the way, Spencer and Free might be gone soon.

What's left is a tremendously young squad with oodles more depth than before that looks primed for many years of contention, not just one like in 2009.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
And his best win to date was a home game against Arizona last year. This mega-offense has been ground to a halt on multiple occasions, including against Dallas. It's quite conceivable that Garrett could be 3-1 against Kelly soon.

The Eagles are winning on defense and special teams this year. Offensively, they are tremendously inconsistent.

And what monumental wins has Garrett had in his four-and-a-half years at the helm?

What does it matter how they're winning? The point is they're winning. You're just looking to find any reason to nitpick Chip Kelly while completely ignoring all of Garrett's many obvious flaws.

By the way, Philly's offense fifth in the league in total offense and fourth in points per game, and that's with three of their starting linemen missing a large chunk of the season, and playing their last two and a half games with the backup QB. So many offenses in the NFL would love to be that "tremendously inconsistent."

erod

Reaction score
And what monumental wins has Garrett had in his four-and-a-half years at the helm?

What does it matter how they're winning? The point is they're winning. You're just looking to find any reason to nitpick Chip Kelly while completely ignoring all of Garrett's many obvious flaws.

By the way, Philly's offense fifth in the league in total offense and fourth in points per game, and that's with three of their starting linemen missing a large chunk of the season, and playing their last two and a half games with the backup QB. So many offenses in the NFL would love to be that "tremendously inconsistent."

I look at what teams do against elite teams. Denver destroyed your team last year, worse than Green Bay yesterday. New Orleans walked into Philly and beat your team in the playoffs. Cruddy Dallas went in there and put a 17-3 on you. San Francisco held your offense to six points.

And you think yardage is how offenses should be ranked? And running up points against bad teams.

Yep, that's Oregon. When Alabama shows up, you see what happened yesterday virtually every time.

Zman5

Reaction score
He inherited a team that 1-7 and had gotten extremely old. Gurode, Davis, Barber, Williams, Kozier, Columbo, Brooking, James, Olshansky, Hamlin, etc, etc, etc. Not to mention the beginning of the Ratliff mess, and the quick downturns of Felix Jones, Ware, Newman, Jenkins, etc.

And there was ZERO depth and a nightmare salary cap situation. Garrett purged the roster to its core, keeping only Romo, Dez, Witten, Spencer, and Free. By the way, Spencer and Free might be gone soon.

What's left is a tremendously young squad with oodles more depth than before that looks primed for many years of contention, not just one like in 2009.

This great team that JG built will barely win if Romo goes down for the season. And BTW, the core you mentioned were all drafted by Parcells and Wade.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I look at what teams do against elite teams. Denver destroyed your team last year, worse than Green Bay yesterday. New Orleans walked into Philly and beat your team in the playoffs. Cruddy Dallas went in there and put a 17-3 on you. San Francisco held your offense to six points.

And you think yardage is how offenses should be ranked? And running up points against bad teams.

Yep, that's Oregon. When Alabama shows up, you see what happened yesterday virtually every time.

lol....that's going to hurt!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This great team that JG built will barely win if Romo goes down for the season. And BTW, the core you mentioned were all drafted by Parcells and Wade.

This is confusing, did BP and Wade drafted them or Jerry? Or it is only Jerry when they don't do well? lol

Kelly is a good HC I take nothing away from him on the other hand I see nothing to brag about either. Jason did take a team that up and quite on Wade and a lot of parts removed from this team. Jason has also seen failure of not getting his team over the 500 hump and into post season. Who is better, who cares neither has won enough to be having a fight over.

blindzebra

Reaction score
His offense is not complex or creative. He spreads the defense out and runs a deep route on one side by a WR with a seam route or deep out to the TE on the other with the other WR and the RB working underneath and in the flat under the deep routes. The running game is all motion away and cut back.

You play disciplined defense and be physical with their receivers and it disrupts everything. You make them play between the 20's and they break down in the redzone. For their offense to work they need the defense to over run on running plays and for the safeties to jump the underneath routes allowing the deep stuff to work.

It is not a coincidence that once teams started catching on Foles became a turnover machine and they started throwing much more than running. Some say Garrett was pass happy, well Kelly has them throwing over 41 times a game and that is with 2 explosive RBs.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Neither Foles or Sanchez are anywhere near the same stratosphere as Romo, so while the drop off is bigger, that's largely because Foles is on a much, much, much lower level than Romo to begin with.

I don't disagree with that. It hurts Dallas much more for their QB to go out than it does Philly... and that certainly isn't an indictment on Chip Kelly.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
This is confusing, did BP and Wade drafted them or Jerry? Or it is only Jerry when they don't do well? lol

Kelly is a good HC I take nothing away from him on the other hand I see nothing to brag about either. Jason did take a team that up and quite on Wade and a lot of parts removed from this team. Jason has also seen failure of not getting his team over the 500 hump and into post season. Who is better, who cares neither has won enough to be having a fight over.

I think Garret could whip Kelly's butt in a fight. And, I think Garrett's Cowboys will beat that tiny little college football team known as the eagles.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Garret could whip Kelly's butt in a fight. And, I think Garrett's Cowboys will beat that tiny little college football team known as the eagles.

I don't care to see them fight. lol I do think Dallas can beat Philly but expect it to be one heck of a battle with a lot on the line for both teams.

Zman5

Reaction score

I put Parcells and Wade due to the context of the thread. I think Jerry should get more credit, both good and bad, when it comes to the draft. It's ridiculous seeing post about how everything bad is Jerry's doing and everything good is (pick your coach) doing.

Just to be clear, I'm not a fan of Chip Kelly or his system. But to say he sucks and then say JG better is just wrong based on their accomplishments so far.

I think like players coaches should get 3 years to be fairly evaluated.

erod

Reaction score

Beat San Francisco on the road when the 49ers went to the playoffs.

Beat Peyton Manning in Indianapolis.

Beat Philly, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh in consecutive weeks.

Beat your mighty playoff-bound Eagles with one hand tied behind his back in Philly last year with the worst defense in the NFL.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

It is really difficult to take any of your analysis of the job Garrett has done seriously, when you have that picture in your sig. You clearly don't like anything Jason Garrett and I doubt you could bring yourself to say anything positive about him at all.

I apologize in advance if that is incorrect.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
It is really difficult to take any of your analysis of the job Garrett has done seriously, when you have that picture in your sig. You clearly don't like anything Jason Garrett and I doubt you could bring yourself to say anything positive about him at all.

Dude! In all honesty...before I read this post, I was going to say the exact same thing!

When someone posts a picture of Garrett like he does, it's no wonder he does not like giving Garrett any credit what so ever!

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score

How should offenses be ranked, if not by the statistics they put up over the course of a season? Do you have some super secret formula that you would like to share with us? Denver nearly got goose-egged by a 4-6 Rams team yesterday. Stuff happens. You're not going to be dominant every week.

Zman5

Reaction score

It's not like I woke up one day and decided to hate JG and put his pic on my sig page. I had hopes when he was hired only to be disappointed many times.

It's your choice to take my posts seriously or not based on what I have on my sig.

Will it change the fact that JG has given us three 8-8 seasons if I have a different sig pic?