Chip Kelly versus Jason Garrett

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's hard for me to have a good opinion of that Chip Kelly coached team after watching the beat down that Green Bay handed them yesterday. I didn't see the Packers do anything the Cowboys can't do. I don't fear the iggles what so ever. Mr Butt Fumble can't bet us. I welcome playing that team twice and claiming the division crown that rightfully belongs to us. Go Cowboys.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
It's not like I woke up one day and decided to hate JG and put his pic on my sig page.

It's your choice to take my posts seriously or not based on what I have on my sig.

Will it change the fact that JG has given us three 8-8 seasons if I have a different sig pic?

Nope. I do agree though that three 8-8 seasons through a complete rebuild is a pretty good accomplishment.

See, we can agree.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
It's not like I woke up one day and decided to hate JG and put his pic on my sig page.

It's your choice to take my posts seriously or not based on what I have on my sig.

Will it change the fact that JG has given us three 8-8 seasons if I have a different sig pic?

Would you have posted his pic if the Cowboys were to have won three SB's? lol

If the Cowboys do something special this season, I sure hope you change your tune...which you will! You will be the first in line to want to celebrate. So, for your sake, you better hope that Garrett goes 8-8 again! lol

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Chip won the division his first year as the HC. I don't know what your definition of "accomplished anything" is but that's much more than what JG has done so far.

The only other coach to win a division his first year as an NFL head coach is Barry Switzer, who not only won the division but the Super Bowl.

I wouldn't exactly want him as our coach, either.

I don't know how Kelley is going to pan out, but winning a division isn't what I want accomplished. Get back to me when he's put a team in the Super Bowl.

Same with Garrett.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I put Parcells and Wade due to the context of the thread. I think Jerry should get more credit, both good and bad, when it comes to the draft. It's ridiculous seeing post about how everything bad is Jerry's doing and everything good is (pick your coach) doing.

Just to be clear, I'm not a fan of Chip Kelly or his system. But to say he sucks and then say JG better is just wrong based on their accomplishments so far.

I think like players coaches should get 3 years to be fairly evaluated.

Fair enough. I also agree on the 3 year rule of thumb but I had no issue with Jerry letting Garrett remain for the last year of the deal and personally I think it is paying off. I do think Jason has lead much of the changes that have taken place, he still has much to prove.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Beat San Francisco on the road when the 49ers went to the playoffs.

Beat Peyton Manning in Indianapolis.

Beat Philly, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh in consecutive weeks.

Beat your mighty playoff-bound Eagles with one hand tied behind his back in Philly last year with the worst defense in the NFL.

If we're being fair, which you clearly have no desire to do, the only wins that matter in this comparison are SF and Indy and Indy was hardly an elite team that year. They were very good, and Peyton Manning-led teams are always dangerous, but Indy lost in the wild card that year and when we beat them, that was their third consecutive loss.

The Philly-Cincy-Pitt streak was nice, but only one of those teams finished the season with a winning record. None of them were elite by any stretch of the imagination. How is that anymore impressive than Philly winning 5 straight last year, including wins over 10-6 Arizona and a win in Lambeau?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
If we're being fair, which you clearly have no desire to do, the only wins that matter in this comparison are SF and Indy and Indy was hardly an elite team that year. Peyton Manning-led teams are always dangerous, but Indy went 10-6 that year and lost in the wild card. When we beat them, that was their third consecutive loss.

The Philly-Cincy-Pitt streak was nice, but only one of those teams finished the season with a winning record. How is that anymore impressive than Philly winning 5 straight last year, including wins over 10-6 Arizona and a win in Lambeau?

All that nonsense was, as you say, last year. What about yesterday?

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
All that nonsense was, as you say, last year. What about yesterday?

They got blown out. It happens. It's happened to Jason Garrett plenty of times, against teams nowhere near as good as the Packers are right now.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
They got blown out. It happens. It's happened to Jason Garrett plenty of times, against teams nowhere near as good as the Packers are right now.

When was the last time that a Garrett team has been ***** slapped as bad as the eagles got yesterday? Talk to me...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Didn't Chip make the playoffs in his first season? We're on the 4 year plan...

We're not really going to outcoach anyone. It's better now with Linehan on board but our scheme is based on us just having better players.

As long as our OL can push people out of the way then we'll be good.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Plenty of times? Garrett's team has lost 1 game by 30 points in 66 games. Kelly has two 30+ point losses in 26 games.

Ok, plenty may have been an exaggeration, but I don't think 30 points is the barometer for whether or not a game is a blowout. I'd consider that Bears loss last year a blowout, even though we got two late scores to make it look respectable, but we were down 42-14 late in that one. At Seattle in 2012, at Philadelphia in 2011. In my mind, I'd consider those blowouts.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
And chicago last year

The WORST defense in the History of the NFL. So, that makes two games, with the worst defense in the NFL.

Are there anymore ***** slapping the Cowboys took last year that was as bad as the eagle loss yesterday...?