Chip Kelly versus Jason Garrett

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
The WORST defense in the History of the NFL. So, that makes two games, with the worst defense in the NFL.

Are there anymore ***** slapping the Cowboys took last year that was as bad as the eagle loss yesterday...?

The fact that it was the worst defense in NFL history doesn't serve as an excuse for Garrett. He was the head coach of that team with the worst defense in NFL history. He has to own that.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
The WORST defense in the History of the NFL. So, that makes two games, with the worst defense in the NFL.

Are there anymore ***** slapping the Cowboys took last year that was as bad as the eagle loss yesterday...?

nope just those 2. They seem tougher this year besides the niner and Commanders game. Not much to complain about this year. Things are looking up when this year was suppsoed to be terrible.

fifaguy

Reaction score
I'm more concerned right now with Tom Coughlin vs. JG....

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
The fact that it was the worst defense in NFL history doesn't serve as an excuse for Garrett. He was the head coach of that team with the worst defense in NFL history. He has to own that.

So, let me get this straight? It was Garrett's fault for all the players on defense getting injured?

Is that what you are saying?

blindzebra

Reaction score
Ok, plenty may have been an exaggeration, but I don't think 30 points is the barometer for whether or not a game is a blowout. I'd consider that Bears loss last year a blowout, even though we got two late scores to make it look respectable, but we were down 42-14 late in that one. At Seattle in 2012, at Philadelphia in 2011. In my mind, I'd consider those blowouts.

So you have 4 in 66 games or 1 such bad game every 16.5 games.

Kelly has 3 in 26...adding the Minnesota game last year...1 every 8.7 games.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
So, let me get this straight? It was Garrett's fault for all the players on defense getting injured?

Is that what you are saying?

What I'm saying is he was the head coach of that team, they got blown out, and he has to own that. That's on his resume. Any excuse you try to make to justify it is irrelevant to that fact. There's no asterisk next to it that says "oh by the way, the Cowboys had injuries on their defense, so this loss really doesn't count."

You asked for an example, I gave it to you. If you want to argue semantics and make excuses about injuries (as if every team in the NFL doesn't have to deal with that) then feel free.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
What I'm saying is he was the head coach of that team, they got blown out, and he has to own that. That's on his resume. Any excuse you try to make to justify it is irrelevant to that fact. There's no asterisk next to it that says "oh by the way, the Cowboys had injuries on their defense, so this loss really doesn't count."

You asked for an example, I gave it to you. If you want to argue semantics and make excuses about injuries (as if every team in the NFL doesn't have to deal with that) then feel free.

Can't argue with that. lol

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score

I'm not sure why you'd add the Minnesota game last year. That was a five point game going into the fourth quarter that Minnesota broke open late. Hardly on the level of these games we're talking about.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you'd add the Minnesota game last year. That was a five point game going into the fourth quarter that Minnesota broke open late. Hardly on the level of these games we're talking about.

Seattle was a 10 point game with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd, stop trying to have it both ways.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Seattle was a 10 point game with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd, stop trying to have it both ways.

Fair point.

I don't think we're getting anywhere with this "who has been blown out more" talking point and at the end of the day, what matters is the end of the season. Kelly did in one season what Garrett hasn't done yet in nearly five. That's what makes a good coach, IMO.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Fair point.

I don't think we're getting anywhere with this "who has been blown out more" talking point and at the end of the day, what matters is the end of the season. Kelly did in one season what Garrett hasn't done yet in nearly five. That's what makes a good coach, IMO.

Yes he won the division but one can argue that luck played a major role in that happening. They don't win 8 games if Vick does not get hurt and Foles has a golden horseshoe up his butt. Like it or not injuries did play a huge factor in that division title. Dallas' D was decimated and not having Romo in week 17 gave them the division.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Yes he won the division but one can argue that luck played a major role in that happening. They don't win 8 games if Vick does not get hurt and Foles has a golden horseshoe up his butt. Like it or not injuries did play a huge factor in that division title. Dallas' D was decimated and not having Romo in week 17 gave them the division.

I think you have to give Kelly a lot of credit for that golden horseshoe. Foles is not a very good QB. I cannot imagine what kind of numbers Kelly could put up if he had Romo running his offense.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Kelly walked into a better situation tan Garret. If you compare the two organizations over the last 10-15 years, then you will realize how bad the culture was in Dallas. Garret had to start working on getting rid of cancers, establish foundations, etc etc..in short REBUILD..I know we were 8-8 three season in a raw but if you tell me the HC was rebuilding while still keeping the team relevant til the last day of the season, I'd take that with closed eyes.
Kelly walked into an organization where Reid already put the solid foundations, all he needed was small tweaks. A big difference is Kelly doesn't have to deal with a owner/president/GM like JJ…

:cool:

Dodger12

Reaction score

Once again folks here surprise me and I just don;t know why that is any more, but it still happens. You found another hidden and new criteria by which to judge Garrett with. Again, way to think outside the box. Kudos......

blindzebra

Reaction score
I think you have to give Kelly a lot of credit for that golden horseshoe. Foles is not a very good QB. I cannot imagine what kind of numbers Kelly could put up if he had Romo running his offense.

Funny going into the season most media pundits were calling Foles the best QB in the division.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've sat through the slobberfests over Chip Kelly enough times now. I've had it shoved down my throat that this guy will change the NFL forever with his superkalafrejalisticexpialadocious offense. It's too complicated for mortal humans, I'm told. It's beyond our cerebral capabilities to understand.

So when's it going to beat anybody?

I keep waiting. I watched it yesterday crash and burn again. I watched a gawd awful Cowboys defense hold it to 3 points last year in Philly. I saw Denver annihilate it a year ago, and I watched it lose to New Orleans in the playoffs. I watched it fail to score an offensive touchdown against San Fran. I saw it barely beat Kyle Stinking Orton for the division in the finale last year.

Since he arrived in Philly, Chip Kelly is 17-10. Jason Garrett is 15-11 over that same stretch. They split their two meetings, and if Romo wasn't hurt in that finale, I have zero doubt Garrett would be 2-0 against Kelly. And that's with the worst defense in Cowboys history a year ago.

Kelly's signature win to date, I suppose, was a home win against Arizona last year. The Cardinals did not make the playoffs by the way. And the referees had a HUGE hand in that win in Indianapolis this season, and we saw the Colts show their backsides last night.

I'm not saying Chip Kelly is a bad coach. I'm just saying he's not this transcendent football god we were told ad nauseum he would be. These teams aren't Washington State.

Philly's running game is sputtering, as is its red zone efficiency. The Eagles have to wearing down from all the snaps. Yesterday, you saw the Eagle defense wilt because its offense spends so little time on the field whether it scores or not.

Give me the approach of Jason Garrett any day of the week.

Build a team for December with a strong offensive line and running game that can travel anywhere and play in any conditions. I'll take my chances with that. If the weather is bad in Philly in a few weeks, it's the Cowboys that are best built for it, not the home team.

So I beg the pundits and prognosticators, enough with the Chip Kelly love cult. I'm unimpressed and bored with it.
It's always hard to know for certain because we don't know if that same talent would have done better or worse in a different scheme.

I've sometimes wondered if Romo would have been better or worse in a different offensive scheme but there is really no way to know.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I don't think that either of them have done much. Kelly gets a lot of hype for beating up bad teams whereas Garrett doesn't, which is about all the difference there is between those two guys. Why does Kelly get hype? Because his offensive system is sexy and fun, and OMG THEY RUN PLAYS SO FAST WOWEE. Yardage wise, the Cowboys are only ranked one spot below the Eagles.

Fredd

Reaction score
ah, the joy that is the bye week....cowboy fans arguing over an eagles coach and whether they think he is good....I could care less about him...he has won, so far, so good for him....I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves to go and take the Florida U job....

Proximo

Reaction score
LOL at the Chip lovefest going on in here.

I can't even begin to imagine what the state of this board would be if Garrett and the 'Boys got clobbered the way Philly did yesterday. Starting QB or not, some of ya'll are giving Chip a lot more leeway and credit than what I've seen Garrett get on here...after a win!