Chris Canty - Hybrid Thought

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Which part the part about Jerry?

Its about as overboard as putting Canty at TE when you have Witten Campbell and a host of others and this is even before he learns the Defense and lets not forget he's coming off a Knee injury and eye problems. and on top of that NORS wants him to learn the TE position. Dropping all that on a rookies shoulders spells disaster IMO. Let him learn the D and get settled there then next (06) season we can toy with the IDEA IMO
I'm not saying that Canty at TE is a great idea. But I have seen stranger things happen and you have to understand that Nors is simply trying to remake the Cowboys in the Pats image. They have a defensive guy play TE at times so we must as well and he picked Canty who could probably actually do it; not that it's going to happen.

I realize you were being facetious but still it was overboard. Nors idea is not outside the realm of possibility after all as your suggestions were. It is just way outside the realm of probability. Therefore it qualifies as "Outside the Box" thinking.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I'm not saying that Canty at TE is a great idea. But I have seen stranger things happen and you have to understand that Nors is simply trying to remake the Cowboys in the Pats image. They have a defensive guy play TE at times so we must as well and he picked Canty who could probably actually do it; not that it's going to happen.

I realize you were being facetious but still it was overboard. Nors idea is not outside the realm of possibility after all as your suggestions were. It is just way outside the realm of probability. Therefore it qualifies as "Outside the Box" thinking.
I agree it wouldn't be impossible to see. But I just don't see him at TE coming off the injury and with the TE's we have. Nors was making it sound like we only have one option at TE. and as for the joking I was doing it was in reference to the post just before mine.

Outlaw Heros said:
Anyone know if Jason Ferguson has ever played tailback? I'd bet he'd be a load to bring down.

Larry Allen at CB? With his initial punch no WR would ever get off the line.

How 'bout JJ at RDE? Just imagine that speed and quickness he'd bring off the edge.

The possibilities are endless.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I agree it wouldn't be impossible to see. But I just don't see him at TE coming off the injury and with the TE's we have. Nors was making it sound like we only have one option at TE. and as for the joking I was doing it was in reference to the post just before mine.
I agree that putting Canty there is not a good idea with the knee. Also who knows how the eye surgery would effect his ability to judge a pass etc. and I'm in no way in favor of this idea.

And I can see where OH's comments would spur you on (I didn't notice them at first actually). I guess Nors just brings that out in people somehow :D

nathanlt

Reaction score
Nors said:
Can he be used as a situational TE? He is 6-7 290 and can move.

Did he play any basketball at UVA? Did he ever play TE in college? High School?

He could be our secret weapon at TE!

I don't think we need a secret weapon at TE. Our established TE's (Witten and Campbell) are powerful weapons!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy said:
Depends on how much better the MPG is. If it isn't substancial I would stick with a conventional engine just because it has more power. :rolleyes:

I have heard that some have trouble....stalling.

On a serious note, I don't see nors idea happening but at that size he would make a big blocking TE in goal line situations.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Nors said:

Give it up Nors. I once suggested Dallas try Petey H. at WR and I think the idea (which I still think is a good one!) gave most of our board members gas.
I even tried to slip it in several other related threads and no one bit.
Oh well.... a guy can dream
icon11.gif

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I have heard that some have trouble....stalling.

On a serious note, I don't see nors idea happening but at that size he would make a big blocking TE in goal line situations.

Spears is the far better option.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Spears is our situational FB HBack.

Canty when healthy is our Red Zone situational TE!

Outside the box -

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Nors said:

Outside the box -

Waaaay outside.

|....... BOX ........| .............................................................----> Nors
| .....................|
| .....................|
|______________|

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Same posts on Hybrids, tweeners, 3-4 2 years ago

You in a year from know when Canty is playing some TE will say its "personell" we all saw it COMING - IT WAS "OBVIOUS". LOL

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Nors said:

Outside the box -

Crap, let's start a thread on Spears being our situational FB HBack now. :banghead:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Nors said:

Yeah, we've only got about forty-'leven TEs on the roster right now... God knows, the Cowboys need more TEs...

And if that would-be TE only has one good eye, so much the better... after all, who needs two good eyes to catch passes??

Do you sit up nights figuring out nonsensical ideas to share with us, or do they come to you after the ingestion of copious quantities of recreational chemicals??

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Nors said:
Als is a string bean and at $2m A Longshot to even make our team.

From what I saw last year. Shanle already is better than Al s.

How is he a longshot to make out team? He has been the uncontested starter on the strong side for 2 seasons, being replaced only due to injury.

Shanle may be better, and maybe he will be cut. But he isn't a longshot by any means.

If anything, he is a longshot to be cut (though it isn't outside the realm of possibility).

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:
Same posts on Hybrids, tweeners, 3-4 2 years ago

You in a year from know when Canty is playing some TE will say its "personell" we all saw it COMING - IT WAS "OBVIOUS". LOL
Just wondering......will that before or after we sign Ty Law?

silverbear

Reaction score
Nors said:
I'll speculate all I want on where we may deploy a player.

What happens when players go down? We were trotting scrubs around last year behind Witten.

So your solution is to convert a one-eyed DE??

Yeah, that makes sense...

There's a reason we were "trotting scrubs around last year", and I suspect you know it-- we lost Dan Campbell pretty early in the season...

I guess you figure we're supposed to carry 5 TDs who are NFL-ready today...

Again to my question - anyone know if he has ever played tight end?

Too lazy to look it up your own self?? OK, just for you:

Canty played both TE and DE back in HS... was an all-conference TE in fact, catching 20 passes for 400 yards... that's a nice YPC average, but if 20 catches makes you the best TE in your conference, I'd say your conference doesn't have too many good TEs...

So yes, theoretically Canty COULD play TE if needed... Parcells would have to be a card-carrying idiot to even think about using him that way (except perhaps as an added blocker in goal line and short yardage sets)....

Here's a novel thought, why don't we find out if Brett Pierce, Sean Ryan or Tony Curtis have some game, instead of talking about moving a rookie DE over to TE?? How 'bout we let the rookie learn his main job in his first year on the job??

In case you haven't figured it out, I think this latest idea of yours is comically stoopid... I find myself hoping you started this thread with your tongue planted firmly in your cheek...

silverbear

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I was thinking Ferggie at QB, JJ at Guard, Bledsoe at NT, Adams and Allen at the CB double AA going on, and while at it how bout BP suiting up playing FS show everyone how its done.

and the Coup de grace Jerry Jones as a cheerleader imagine those legs...

Be careful, you're givin' Nors a woody...

silverbear

Reaction score
Nors said:
Thanks for the info - that was the role I saw him in for us. Red Zone and short yardage packages. More to throw off a defense. He was all State Tight End and All State basketball player. I bet he could do it well.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Charlotte (N.C.) Latin School, playing football for coach Larry McNulty...Played tight end and defensive end as a junior and senior...Did not participate in football during his first two years at the school...Named All-State at both tight end and defensive end and All-Conference as a tight end...As a senior he caught 20 receptions for 400 yards...Longest play of his career was a 66-yard touchdown reception on a screen pass...Defensively, he recorded 89 tackles and seven sacks as a senior...For his career, he had 161 tackles, 12 sacks and two fumble recoveries

So, you apparently knew the answer to the question before you asked it... color me surprised...

silverbear

Reaction score
Nors said:
I agree - he'll focus at DE (Canty). I would not be suprised to see him get some work at TE, either in practice or next year.At 6-7 290 and hands - he's a Red Zone threat!

Oh, Jesus...

IF the Cowboys use him at TE, which I consider to be an unlikely prospect going in, it would be strictly as a BLOCKING TE in goal line and short yardage sets...

What might have been adequate speed in HIGH SCHOOL for a TE is considerably short of what's adequate for the position in college... for that matter, he wasn't exactly a "red zone threat" in high school, either... not when he averaged 20 yards per catch for the season...

Besides, the Cowboys already have their red zone TE weapon-- Jeff "Mr. TD" Robinson... 2 catches last year, for 2 yards and 2 TDs... 2 more catches the year before that, for 8 yards and 2 TDs... exactly how much more efficient can a red zone TE be, Nors?? :D

silverbear

Reaction score
Nors said:
thats a who's who of scrubs.

Look around the NFL, and tell me how many teams have more than 2 good TEs... tell me whose 3rd and 4th TEs AREN'T scrubs...

Time for you to wake up and smell the coffee, Nors... or perhaps it's just time for you to stop playing Madden 20 hours a day, and recognize the realities of the little thing we call the salary cap...

The cap won't allow any team to keep talented players stocked 3 and 4 deep at any position...

Traing camp and the turk will find a bunch of these fringers.

Yup... but you can bet that one or two of them will step up and EARN themselves a roster spot... you're just WAY too quick to give up on players, to label them "busts"... I find this rather strange, given the way you form rather unnatural attachments to the most bizarre players...

silverbear

Reaction score
Nors said:
I actually do like Sean Ryan. But he is what he is. A developmental player. Not a red zone threat. Canty has that dimension due to his size.

H*ll, let's go sign Reggie Miller to play WR for the Boys... he's retired from the NBA now, so he's got some time to kill... at 6-8, he should be a GREAT red zone target, right??

Or maybe we could find out what Manute Bol is doing these days... I suspect the hockey thing has lost its attraction for him...

The ONLY thing Canty has going for him as a TE is he's big... he is rather lumbering for that position, and would undoubtedly have a hard time getting open...

I'll also note that you're going on and on about how this guy might make a good TE, and you have NO IDEA if his hands are any good... none whatsoever, yet you wax rhapsodic about what a "red zone weapon" he'd be...

Permit me to repeat that 20 catches as a high school senior doesn't sound like he was a main focus of his team's passing attack...

Sean Ryan is ten times the TE that Chris Canty is, and probably five times the TE that Chris Canty can ever hope to be... and yes, Ryan has been pretty much a scrub thus far in his NFL career...

Bottom line, all you know about Chris Canty at TE is that he played the position back in high school... you don't know if his hands are good, or if he had Roberto Duran hands... you don't know if he can run a solid route, if he can find the seams in a zone... about all you CAN speculate about is that he'd likely be a pretty fair blocker at the position, given his size and his defensive, physical mindset...

Lemme put it to ya this way, Nors-- if Canty WAS given a look at TE, he'd be listed 8th (last) on the depth chart... he'd be behind Witten and Campbell (obviously), but he'd also be behind Ryan, Pierce and Curtis... he'd even be running behind Robinson and even Reid... well, OK, he MIGHT be ahead of Reid on the depth chart, but that would be it...

I'm guessing he'll be somewhat higher than 7th or 8th on the DE depth chart...