Christian Bale in town visiting victims of shooting

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4631723 said:
It's the lawyer in me, we argue semantics all the time.

You must be the world's worst lawyer...

Please, God, don't ever let me get in trouble in Canada and require this pedant's help...

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile;4631728 said:
Okay, then I will pick up the gauntlet counselor.

Damn right it is heroic. He wasn't anywhere near Colorado. He came at his own expense simply because he wanted to do a noble thing. If your son, Count Jr., were lying in that bed and Christian Bale gave him even a spark of hope you would see it as heroic. Just because you and I are removed from this tragedy doesn't make it any less real and his act any less selfless.

This isn't much different from the people who grant wishes for Make a Wish. The only real difference is they are usually near the area when they make their visits and they are invited.

This was an uninvited visit and from a long distance for no other reason than he wanted to do a good deed.

Not only is that heroic, it is the essence of what heroism is, going out of your way.

He didn't take a bullet for anyone. He isn't running for office. He isn't trying to pump up his movie. He did a simple, kind, unselfish deed for the victims of a madman.

Hell yes it is heroic.

Why do with bother with him?? More to the point, why does he work so hard at being dislikable??

a_minimalist

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4631675 said:
That isn't heroic, it is a great move, classy and good for his image after what he did to help ruin his image a few years ago but it is not heroic.

I love how you come into an otherwise positive and encouraging thread and then piss all over it. You're a real winner.

silverbear

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4631736 said:
You are wrong. Pure and simple.

You're the one who's wrong. Pure and simple.

And your arrogance is beyond belief... you clearly have never bothered to look up the word "hero", and as a result, your arrogance is making you look like a cosmic fool...

I have also noticed that you have some kind of sick need to get in the last word in an argument... good luck with that, with me... I'll match my semantic abilities with yours, all day, every day...

silverbear

Reaction score
wittenacious;4631744 said:
I most assuredly DO understand the definitions of "heroic" AND "hero" — there are several. I just don't feel it necessary to denounce another's comment to prove how right I am when the meaning was not so much about the extreme definition(s) as it was about being complimentary.

He wasn't saying Christian Bale's visitation was on par with folks who have unselfishly and unflinchingly given their lives for others. I may choose to make that necessary distinction in a debate about those specific kinds of heroes and heroic efforts, but wouldn't on a Cowboys Fansite where general goodwill & noble gestures were the clear theme of the OP and thread.

BTW... first Google response to the search query, "hero definition"...
he·ro/ˈhi(ə)rō/

Noun:
  • A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities.
  • The chief male character in a book, play, or movie, who is typically identified with good qualities
I think Christian Bale exhibited good and noble qualities in what he did.

I think the folks he visited would agree.

Pay particular attention to the definition above, CCF, in particular the part about "noble qualities"...

Your definition of "hero" is so restrictive as to render it completely bogus...

silverbear

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4631758 said:
Really, you're still going with this? Good grief, man..

Its a thread about the kind and noble actions of one man towards others.. there are very few of these threads to begin with anymore and you have to come in here and pee all over it?

You really are a lawyer.. i think we'd all appriciate it if you'd just go away if you can't find anything positive to say even in a thread like this.

This is hardly the first time he's shown his *** like this, for no good reason... I'd appreciate it if he'd just go away, period...

There is nobody on this board that I dislike more than this one... he seems to have delusions of adequacy...

silverbear

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4631838 said:
I love how you come into an otherwise positive and encouraging thread and then piss all over it. You're a real winner.

It's a sickness with him...

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
silverbear;4631847 said:
This is hardly the first time he's shown his *** like this, for no good reason... I'd appreciate it if he'd just go away, period...

There is nobody on this board that I dislike more than this one... he seems to have delusions of adequacy...

all you do is feed the fire when you reply to his posts.

put him on ignore...or better yet ..quit letting him get to ya.

not good for the ticker.:)

how you feeling by the way?

Mr_Bill

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4631703 said:
you tell me how it is heroic?

As silverbear has pointed out, a hero is defined by the opinion of others. You are an 'other', so, if you don't think Bale is a hero here, in your mind, he is not. However, there are several other 'others' here who most certainly think he is. They have a right to their opinions, too.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Mr_Bill;4631864 said:
As silverbear has pointed out, a hero is defined by the opinion of others. You are an 'other', so, if you don't think Bale is a hero here, in your mind, he is not. However, there are several other 'others' here who most certainly think he is. They have a right to their opinions, too.

The problem is that he is clearly delusional and thinks his opinions are fact.

wittenacious

Reaction score
silverbear;4631847 said:

:lmao2:

"Delusions of adequacy" ... an instant classic, and now sarcastic favorite of mine.

Absolutely hilarious!!!

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
What is this? Some sort of PR move? Christian Bale is an *******. Have y'all not heard the audio of his EPIC rant/verbal abuse against a stage-hand? **** Christian Bale. This **** don't matter to me.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Rynie;4631888 said:
What is this? Some sort of PR move? Christian Bale is an *******. Have y'all not heard the audio of his EPIC rant/verbal abuse against a stage-hand? **** Christian Bale. This **** don't matter to me.

You should read more about some of the things he's done. Rant aside, im guessing that's pretty much all you know about him, besides the fact that you've seen him in a movie or two.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Rynie;4631888 said:

He does have a checkered past but this was a great thing to do. There's no denying that, but I do get where you're coming from.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4631906 said:
He does have a checkered past but this was a great thing to do. There's no denying that, but I do get where you're coming from.

Other than flipping on a stagehand for walking in on a scene multiple times, even though he apoligized for it afterwards and admitted he was being a jerk, what has he done that was out of line at all?

a_minimalist

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4631910 said:
Other than flipping on a stagehand for walking in on a scene multiple times, even though he apoligized for it afterwards and admitted he was being a jerk, what has he done that was out of line at all?

If I remember correctly he hit his wife or mom and was arrested. I could be slightly off though.

But that's besides the point. Some people change and what he did was still a great and/or heroic thing.

wittenacious

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4631913 said:
If I remember correctly he hit his wife or mom and was arrested. I could be slightly off though.

But that's besides the point. Some people change and what he did was still a great and/or heroic thing.
Arrested (but not charged) for having allegedly assaulted his mom and sister. Another one of those family fights that went nowhere beyond the accusations, as I recall.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
wittenacious;4631915 said:
Arrested (but not charged) for having allegedly assaulted his mom and sister. Another one of those family fights that went nowhere beyond the accusations, as I recall.

Yeah, something like that. As I said I could be slightly off. It's a checkered past. Checkered doesn't mean you're a criminal or a bad person. Just some questionable things. I really can't stress this enough though; what he did was a very noble thing and in the pictures, IMO, he looks humbled and blends in acting like everyone else and not like a star. It's very respectable.

wittenacious

Reaction score
Just checked the web to refresh my memory of events. This is a quick overview of the reported events that led to the alleged assault charges:
Batman star Christian Bale confronted his mother after she allegedly insulted his wife, MailOnline has learned.

[...]

The source said: ‘Christian was stressed, but he didn’t lay a finger on anyone. Instead, he flew off the handle and cussed his mother. He just got very loud because his mother was saying some very outrageous things about him, and his wife.’

‘Christian's attitude is that this was his mother's fault because she became very provocative in an argument they were having,’ the source said, adding: ‘Things got out of control and he now says he wishes he just left the room.

‘Normally Christian would just call a friend and go out to a pub to cool off. But he was literally trapped into this confrontation with his mother and sister because there was an army of fans and paparazzi outside.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-rage-mother-insulted-wife.html#ixzz21bOA9HRm