Twitter: Chunn called up from practice squad

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Chunn being called up was going to happen anyway. Garrett liked how he played in camp etc. Nothin wrong with CYA.

True.

The team often uses open roster spots to reward a guy with a few weeks of big boy salary. It increases effort from the PS players

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
ok..if true...We need to focus on beating the gents..or we will get steamrolled. Forget about Zeke this week. IF TRUE.
Hey, was it you or
blue blood? who'd all but guaranteed yesterday, that Elliott would've been signed by the time we all woke up this morning,,, as I was actually looking forward to waking up early this morningo_O

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Hey, was it you or
blue blood? who'd all but guaranteed yesterday, that Elliott would've been signed by the time we all woke up this morning,,, as I was actually looking forward to waking up early this morningo_O

Yeah. The "It's a done deal already," crowd sure is quiet today.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Chunn coming into 53 meaning Olewale inactive , can we carry 3 RBs and 1 FB in gameday actives?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dallas ranked in the middle of the league in run/pass ratio in its normal offense. Most of the teams that ran more than the Cowboys when the game was close through the first three quarters became one-dimensional when they were trailing big late in games -- a situation Dallas was seldom in.

Run %
Margin 8 points or less
1st Sea 52.6%
16th Dal 42.9%

Qtr 1-3
1st Sea 53.6%
14th Dal 42.6%

Note that the Cowboys controlled the clock better (and moved the chains much better) with Amari than pre-Amari.

Weeks 1-8
TOP per drive 2:57 (7th)
yards per drive 30.5 (23rd)
fewest punts per drive 41.7% (24th)

Weeks 9-19
TOP per drive 3:15 (2nd)
yards per drive 36.2 (9th)
fewest punts per drive 34.5% (9th)

This should be expected if you want to have a balanced offense. However, what the stats don't show is how much respect defenses had to show to the offense's running game, thus opening up things for the receivers.

There's two sides to last season. The first half of the year, defenses didn't have to worry that much about the receiving corps so they could focus primarily on Elliott. The second half of the year, defenses had to come to respect Cooper against single coverage and pick and choose when to focus primarily on Elliott. So, we definitely should have controlled the ball and moved it better after getting Cooper unless Cooper was as ineffective as the receivers we had the first half of the year.

We are an offense where the threat of the run game is just as important as actually running the ball in forcing the defense to make choices. Of course you could say that about a lot of teams, but some are built where the threat of the passing game opens up things for the running game. (I would say New Orleans falls into this category.)

Second half of the year, we also had Gallup beginning to assert himself as the second receiver. Of course, cause and effect also is play here as we don't know how much of that was due to Gallup's improvement and how much due to having Cooper on the other side of the offense.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He helped yes but without quality passing we won 3 whole games before acquiring Amari.

RBs are overrated.. It’s all about passing and stopping the pass.

I think there are multiple ways to have a strong offense. When we switched to more of a running attack in 2014, it took some of the pressure off the passing game to always have to make plays in order for the offense to be effective.

The running game's effect on our success was not overrated. We still needed quality passing, but we stopped putting all the weight on the quarterback's shoulders and our quarterback had his best year.

If we put all the weight back on the quarterback's shoulders, there's no guarantee he can carry it. We saw a struggling offense in 2017 without Elliott, even though Morris had good numbers. We've got a lot of different parts compared to then, but that doesn't mean that we know that what will happen will be any different. Teams can stop the pass if all you can do is pass ... unless you are just absolutely fantastic at all aspects of it.

I feel good about Pollard and believe he might can be enough of a threat as a runner to keep defenses from dialing in against the pass. But we'll see how it goes. It could even be a good thing because when you have a player like Elliott, your tendency is to feed them the ball (like we attempted to do with Dez) despite the fact that other things might be more effective. A "lesser" back forces the offense to be more creative.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Exactly..

Go out there Zeke and get a big dose of reality about what your real market value is.

Ask Melvin Gordon about that.

Melvin Gordon and Zeke aren’t close in terms of production.

Zeke averages as many yards per game just after contact as Melvin does overall running the ball.
They have exactly the same amount of rushing TD, but Gordon played 15 more games, and linehan had a habit of not utilizing Zeke in the redzone as much.

Zeke averages 130+ yards per game from scrimmage.
Melvin’s averages 94.

How about playoffS?

Zeke played 3 games.
Melvin played 2.

Zeke has 358 yards and 2 scores
To
Melvin’s 69 yards and 2 scores.

Not even the same stratosphere.

Reactions: BAT

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Melvin Gordon and Zeke aren’t close in terms of production.

Zeke averages as many yards per game just after contact as Melvin does overall running the ball.
They have exactly the same amount of rushing TD, but Gordon played 15 more games, and linehan had a habit of not utilizing Zeke in the redzone as much.

Zeke averages 130+ yards per game from scrimmage.
Melvin’s averages 94.

How about playoffS?

Zeke played 3 games.
Melvin played 2.

Zeke has 358 yards and 2 scores
To
Melvin’s 69 yards and 2 scores.

Not even the same stratosphere.

I’m talking about what the NFL thinks of RBs and not really comparing the 2 as players.

If Dallas tells Zeke and his agent to go find a trade and a new deal they will be disappointed just let Gordon currently is.

Praxit

Reaction score
..of all positions, why RB? You get that feeling, no signing is coming. At least anytime soon.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
I’m talking about what the NFL thinks of RBs and not really comparing the 2 as players.

If Dallas tells Zeke and his agent to go find a trade and a new deal they will be disappointed just let Gordon currently is.

I doubt that.

Put zeke on the Texans and they’re vaulted to one of the favorites to reach the SB.

Same with the colts before luck retired.

There’s a big difference between shopping a borderline top 10 running back and arguably the best since he’s entered the league.

Reactions: BAT

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I doubt that.

Put zeke on the Texans and they’re vaulted to one of the favorites to reach the SB.

Same with the colts before luck retired.

There’s a big difference between shopping a borderline top 10 running back and arguably the best since he’s entered the league.

That’s a good theory but the best playoff teams have the highest pass efficiency. Running efficiency really doesn’t correlate with winning anything or even making the playoffs.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
It's really time to put this on the back burner and move forward with the season. Sure, the coach/GM can keep worrying about this, but the team collectively needs to stop speaking on it or pontificating and just go on with the season.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
He can demand all he wants...He ain't getting no big deal and Jerry is dug in. Zeke is under contract for this year and next
and with a franchise tag the following year. If he doesn't want to play, lots of money going to be left on the table and the fines
are going to go ballastic.
He’ll get a big deal for a RB but the terms of the deal will heavily favor Dallas.

I think the guaranteed money will be the tell all and anything under 40 million would be a huge win for Dallas.
Zeke is lighting a fire to his money. Jerry may soon decide like the Chargers that RB's don't deserve 2nd contracts. Zeke is hooked like
a catfish and no way he has any leverage except to pay his fines and write a check for some of that rookie signing bonus. Jerry Wins!

LOL. Y'all are just straight up posting your own hopes at this point. Lawd! Haha.

Jerry is so "dug in" that the deal was sweetened just before the weekend after the tough public talk about rolling into the season without Zeke.
The guaranteed money will be north of Gurley's and closer to $50M than $40M so any talk of $40M when Gurley got $45M is just ludicrous.
Zeke's "leverage" is why the 2 sides are still talking (and the deal is still growing). Because the team knows our best shot at anything is with him here.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LOL. Y'all are just straight up posting your own hopes at this point. Lawd! Haha.

Jerry is so "dug in" that the deal was sweetened just before the weekend after the tough public talk about rolling into the season without Zeke.
The guaranteed money will be north of Gurley's and closer to $50M than $40M so any talk of $40M when Gurley got $45M is just ludicrous.
Zeke's "leverage" is why the 2 sides are still talking (and the deal is still growing). Because the team knows our best shot at anything is with him here.

Listen I get you Zeke has leverage guys now. You just don’t understand a lot of the facts and details of what is really going on. Your brain can only comprehend the short term and not the long term. At this point that is your fault but you’re married to a wrong opinion and it looks like you’re stuck with it.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
A sign they don't expect Zeke there?

Exactly. I hope Jerry does not cave into this guy. Every week the leverage grows. They are going to be 3-0 out of the box. What then will the great Zeke Elliot say? They should pull the SD card...no more negotiations. Play for the current contract or sit home with no pay and time lost. Sign Dak and Amari immediately. Then see what the Man Baby has to say.