News: Church says Cowboys defense can use more time in film room

visionary

Reaction score
Ok, everyone, listen up. I want a well thought out answer.

Which is better? Faster or slower?

It's a process....

Also depends on what you are stacking
When stacking bad practices, slower might be better

visionary

Reaction score
During Jerry Jones time, I cannot remember any coach saying they would not work for Jerry Jones. I don't even recall anyone turning down a chance to interview with Jerry Jones. Bill Parcells said he had no problem working with Jerry Jones. IIRC, even Jimmy Johnson said Jerry Jones was not a problem to work with. Jerry Jones is not a hard person to work with. I don't know why people perpetuate that fallacy.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They should be doing everything they can to improve. If they've waited this long to decide to spend more time in the film room then I don't know what to think. There's no way to spin this unless that's not what he said.

I think people are taking him too literally. They have to watch film the day after games anyway. That's their Monday schedule. His overall point was to try to be inclusive in suggesting that the defense needs to watch MORE film...more than they already doing. He never suggested how much or how little any of them were watching to this point. He suggested the vets should get after the younger players a bit and teach them up on watching more film.

Nothing about what he was quoted as saying, suggested that they hadn't done it previously, just that it needs to be emphasized more. In a long season, some of these young guys have probably hit a wall and their fundamentals may have slacked. Some of these guys probably already put in tons of film work to do what they can to improve, but with young guys, you gotta question how much they understand what they're actually seeing.

Generally speaking, it just sounded to me that he was saying that they should do even more than that whatever they'd been doing previously to correct the problem. It was supposed to be an expression of leadership that we so value around here. lol

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I think people are taking him too literally. They have to watch film the day after games anyway. That's their Monday schedule. His overall point was to try to be inclusive in suggesting that the defense needs to watch MORE film...more than they already doing. He never suggested how much or how little any of them were watching to this point. He suggested the vets should get after the younger players a bit and teach them up on watching more film.

Nothing about what he was quoted as saying, suggested that they hadn't done it previously, just that it needs to be emphasized more. In a long season, some of these young guys have probably hit a wall and their fundamentals may have slacked. Some of these guys probably already put in tons of film work to do what they can to improve, but with young guys, you gotta question how much they understand what they're actually seeing.

Generally speaking, it just sounded to me that he was saying that they should do even more than that whatever they'd been doing previously to correct the problem. It was supposed to be an expression of leadership that we so value around here. lol

This is exactly how I took his message.

vicjagger

Reaction score
The heck with the film room, this team needs to spend more time in the shower. They stink!

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Nicely said. And ill add nobody thats a fan of the Cowboys should ever doubt the time Church puts in. The guy is 1000 times the player when he came to Dallas. Theres no doubt he has put in countless hrs of time in that film room.

Zordon

Reaction score
Nicely said. And ill add nobody thats a fan of the Cowboys should ever doubt the time Church puts in. The guy is 1000 times the player when he came to Dallas. Theres no doubt he has put in countless hrs of time in that film room.

i like church a lot, on and off the field. i think his messaging is for a few other slackers on the team.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Realistically, there are going to be *some* guys on a marginal team like this who aren't that committed to extending the season another week. When a mediocre team like Chicago drubs you with a backup QB in the middle of a tight playoff race, you have to question how many guys fit that category. As Parcells would say, on Monday night a lot of guys looked like "a ball in high grass - LOST." That speaks to them not doing the boring prep work even if they're giving a decent physical effort on game day.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Y'all think they should practice on Tuesday while everyone else, with the exception of the Eagles are off??

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
If they aren't already studying enough, then they just don't care about winning. Except for Claiborne and Carter, it isn't the young guys who are stinking up the joint. It is the veterans like Carr and Ware who are getting a lion's share of the money for poor play. No excuse for Carr and Ware to not know what or where they are supposed to do and be.

Nope you have it wrong about Clairborne, he doesn't study either, that's part of his problem, plus being not in shape and being injury prone. A guy posted an article about clairborne awhile back and clairborne basically said he just studies the usual stuff on game film and that's about it. That he clairborne didn't need to study extra film work, only what the coaches showed him in film room.

I believe carter has done the same things along those lines too,

one guy posted an article earlier today that says it all and with what Stephen jones said, they believed some of the players didn't care about winning a superbowl, just collect their pay check,

if you remember awhile back, carr said he got humbled, then for 2 games carr played lights out, then back to same ole thing, that one game at halftime players got really mad and chewed on players they had better play better or else, we saw a different team the 2nd half, that was the raider game. So, there u basically have it, some of the players don't really care, and to a point, way play calling, film work by some of the coaches, I doubt some of the coaches really care, just collect their check.

How would ESPN FM 103.3 Stretch Smith handle Cowboys over last three games?
This is how ESPN FM 103.3Stretch Smith would handle Cowboys over last three weeks

After seeing this group flop around every December I really doubt I could walk in there with a straight face and install confidence in them that I believe they can get the job done. I just do not think enough of these players really care about winning a Super Bowl.
By Todd Archer | ESPN.com

"You turn on the tape and guys we count on week in and week out didn't show up," Jones said at the conclusion of an NFL owners meeting at the Four Seasons Resort in Las Colinas. "I don't know what it was, but we didn't get it done and I've got to believe we can do better than that."

"They've all got to be better," Jones said. "Sean Lee has got to be better. Brandon Carr has got to be better. Bruce Carter has got to be better. Jason Hatcher has got to be better. We've all got to be better. We've got to do a better job when we do have injuries of having better players to get up and be there. It's an organizational thing. You just have to do better on the defensive side of the ball. If we want to get to where we want to get to we can't play that type of defense."

"Obviously you expect better," Jones said. "We have to be better. You can't play defense like that and be last in the league and expect to ultimately get to where we want to get to. Ultimately it's got to improve. We know there's circumstances with injuries -- no excuses -- our defensive line is kind of where it starts. We've been beaten up there but that's part of it and we'll have to keep churning there.
"But I fully expect us to play better these last three games on the defensive side of the ball."

More: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/10122107/stephen-jones-critical-dallas-cowboys-stars-loss

carterstinks.jpeg

benry.jpeg

FIREKIFFINFORTHISPLAY.jpeg

mistakessloppy.jpeg

offensestinksbears.jpeg

romothrowsshort.jpeg

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
There's not one thing I read that didn't totally disappoint me. This entire thing is ridiculous. Shouldn't young guys VOLUNTARILY care enough to be the ones spending the most time in the film room? This screams that there are so many issues that are below the surface that makes this a team of losers. I can't stand seeing stuff like this. Peyton Manning is almost unbeatable because he knows his opponents so well. Our players need to stop stealing money and do the same.

Now you fixing to get it, its what Stephen Jones said:
By Todd Archer | ESPN.com

"You turn on the tape and guys we count on week in and week out didn't show up," Jones said at the conclusion of an NFL owners meeting at the Four Seasons Resort in Las Colinas. "I don't know what it was, but we didn't get it done and I've got to believe we can do better than that."

"They've all got to be better," Jones said. "Sean Lee has got to be better. Brandon Carr has got to be better. Bruce Carter has got to be better. Jason Hatcher has got to be better. We've all got to be better. We've got to do a better job when we do have injuries of having better players to get up and be there. It's an organizational thing. You just have to do better on the defensive side of the ball. If we want to get to where we want to get to we can't play that type of defense."

"Obviously you expect better," Jones said. "We have to be better. You can't play defense like that and be last in the league and expect to ultimately get to where we want to get to. Ultimately it's got to improve. We know there's circumstances with injuries -- no excuses -- our defensive line is kind of where it starts. We've been beaten up there but that's part of it and we'll have to keep churning there.
"But I fully expect us to play better these last three games on the defensive side of the ball."

More: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/10122107/stephen-jones-critical-dallas-cowboys-stars-loss

Now get this, right after the game, Jerry Jones said that the bears took them out of their game plan and they had to throw 2nd qtr etc, get away from the run, here u see Stephen jones said its ORGANIZATIONAL THING!!!!!!!!!!! OK, here you have 2 management persons, Stephen jones & jerry jones saying things that the head coach should be saying, not the owner or his son. That's the big issue, organizational, what players are allowed to do, way jerry jones wants the team to run, when, where and how, now do you get it, so who can hold the players really accountable, can the head coach, when management is doing such things? Understand what im saying? Go back and look at video where jerry jones says right after the game, what the cowboys had to do and what the cowboys were going to do in preparation for the packers, blitz more, take chances. Would a real head coach tell the other team what he plans to do? Do you understand now, its the culture that jerry jones has allowed to go on the past 17 years, after jimmy Johnson left. Its the culture, the organizational thing.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I believe they could spend as much time in the film room as they want and the results would still be the same.....the talent just isnt there to run a legitimate NFL defense.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

That's fine and I buy that. But for people to come out now and say we have to do better is more than a few games too late. He's probably just giving a sound bite but it sounds awful. I think I'm a very fair person to this organization and all its players but this raises a red flag for me.

It's probably not as bad as it sounds but Jeez Louise!