Claiborne benched... Can we finally admit he's a bust?

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20, I know, but we could have had Brockers, Decastro had we stayed put at #1 and Bobby Wagner, Alshon Jeffrey, Peter Konz, Reuben Randle at #2.

Didn't like the trade then and obviously like it even less now.

I was on the DeCastro bandwagon.

davey999

Reaction score
Who would you rather have?

Carr, Scandrick, Jenkins, and someone else at #6 (or stay where we were and take someone else)

or

Carr, Scandrick and Claiborne?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Finally? Lol. And, unfortunately, you don't even get the First off the Bandwagon award on this topic, OP. There's a line of posters who've used the 'b' word re: Claiborne before you got around to it.

That is a scary thought . . . . .

Why is that a scary thought? They're two good players, and Scandrick's our best slot CB.

Reaction score
He may be benched but i'm not ready to give up on him just yet . It's only 4 games into his second year in the NFL. I dont know why so many people are wanting to get rid of this guy so quick. i think he will someday play at a high level hes just got to learn and get the confidence to play at a level i think hes capable of. the situation reminds me of when Dez had his slow start and people were already willing to be done with him. Now Dez is our number one playmaker. a lot can change very fast in the NFL. I would hate for us to give up on Mo and have him go to another team and then elevate his game to another level. For me its gonna take at least this whole year and the next for me to be ready to declare him a bust.

I agree that the sample size is a little small, but he has graded out so poorly that he gives me no hope of the improvement Dez made. Dez had issues with the mental part of the game, but you could always see the physical talent when he caught the ball. I cannot say the same for Claiborne. He is so far off his man every time he's thrown at it's laughable. And it should tell us something that, two years in, teams continue to throw at him. Keenan Allen, a rookie, schooled him this week. So where is the Dez upside?

ChooChoo73

Reaction score
Not sure whether or not we should have taken him but it's indisputable that he sucks and has sucked from the beginning. His inability to be in position to make a play is staggering. That does not mean he can't play better. It could be and probably is a confidence thing but man I wish we did not trade to get him. He is going to find out just how cruel the NFL and Mr. Manning are. Manning will praise him this week and then go out and make him a household name for all the wrong reasons. Mo, get ready for your national introduction.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm more interested to see how Claiborn responds. People around here have gotten upset in the past about holding players accoutable well this is part of holding players accoutable. Claiborne may not start but he will play and how he responds to this challege is what will determin if he is to become a so called bust or he steps up to the challenge.

Reaction score
Finally? Lol. And, unfortunately, you don't even get the First off the Bandwagon award on this topic, OP. There's a line of posters who've used the 'b' word re: Claiborne before you got around to it.

Why is that a scary thought? They're two good players, and Scandrick's our best slot CB.

I've been off the bandwagon with them all along. I am saying "finally" to the eternal optimists who have been defending him, because he's now been demoted.

Reaction score
Who would you rather have?

Carr, Scandrick, Jenkins, and someone else at #6 (or stay where we were and take someone else)

or

Carr, Scandrick and Claiborne?

Jenkins is playing better for the Raiders than Claiborne is for us right now. As much as I disliked Jenkins while he was here, right now, this is a no brainer.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been off the bandwagon with them all along. I am saying "finally" to the eternal optimists who have been defending him, because he's now been demoted.

However you slice it, it's a creative use of the word 'finally' when it's used in regards to a high draft pick from 2012.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I guess Wonderlik scores might matter more than we thought for cornerbacks.

I don't think anyone on our end doubted it. :D

Maybe it doesn't matter at one or two positions but it definitely matters at CB where they have to read and react. However, all is not lost, repetition in the classroom and on the practice field can help him if he is willing to work at it.

Reaction score
Yes those guys have been tearing it up.:rolleyes:

Do you watch NFL football? Decastro is an anchor for the Steelers O-Line. Brockers is very disruptive, had 3 tackles against us, a sack against SF. Wagner played at a pro-bow level in his rookie year. Konz is a starting C for ATL. Randle was a beast in preseason, has played well this year, and will replace Nicks as a starter next year.

mugsybows

Reaction score
I agree that the sample size is a little small, but he has graded out so poorly that he gives me no hope of the improvement Dez made. Dez had issues with the mental part of the game, but you could always see the physical talent when he caught the ball. I cannot say the same for Claiborne. He is so far off his man every time he's thrown at it's laughable. And it should tell us something that, two years in, teams continue to throw at him. Keenan Allen, a rookie, schooled him this week. So where is the Dez upside?

For me the Dez upside is there. He was a great CB in college and was lauded as someday having one of the best ball skills in the league. Last year i thought Mo showed glimpses of greatness and someday being a great CB in the league. I think its unfair because he has had a slow first four games, all be it injured mind you, for people to be done with him already and declare him a bust. I dont care if youre the best CB in the league, teams are always going to test young players and throw at them. Its a no brainer to throw to CB who has a separated shoulder, i would tell my team to test him all day. The only thing that scares me with Mo is his injury proneness. i wasnt a fan with him sitting out all of training camp and i was super disappointed when he got that separated shoulder. Natural talent wise i feel like he still has a lot left to show us. I will declare him a bust when hes fully healthy and still getting manhandled by scrub wide receivers.

mldardy

Reaction score
Do you watch NFL football? Decastro is an anchor for the Steelers O-Line. Brockers is very disruptive, had 3 tackles against us, a sack against SF. Wagner played at a pro-bow level in his rookie year. Konz is a starting C for ATL. Randle was a beast in preseason, has played well this year, and will replace Nicks as a starter next year.

No I don't watch it at all.:rolleyes: None of those guys are as impressive as you are making them out to be. The way you make it seem like we passed on some future HOFers or something.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
The fact that they traded up to draft this guy and then completely changed schemes is all the evidence you need that this organization has ZERO longterm plan. Jerry chasing after what other teams are doing and shiny toys.

Jenky

Reaction score
Too early to call Claiborne a bust. He got screwed.

Frozen700

Reaction score
According to ESPN Dallas, Claiborne has lost his starting CB job to Scandrick.

According to Pro Football Focus, he has graded out this year as the 99th of 101 qualifying CBs. Last year, he graded out as 83rd among 113 qualifying CBs. This, on top of having multiple injuries over the past two year.

He is yet another glaring draft mistake Jerry made by being blinded by "shiny things" (skill position players) and not drafting the trenches.

I usually don't agree with panic or hysteria....

But this is a good move..Caiborne just can't get it done. He's not fast enough, his reaction time is garbage, awareness is trash, plays the slant route like it's not his responsibility, i mean once a WR breaks in he barely even tries, just runs up field outside basically telling the LB's "get him"...and most of all he lacks play making ability

Won't dare jump a route to save his life.