Clarity forming on who Dallas will pick at #4

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Saying Ramsey shouldn't be the pick at #4 is not the same as saying he isn't good. Some people don't believe a CB warrants a top 5 pick, I personally tend to believe that in order for them to be worth the pick, they need to be proficient at forcing turnovers, and the stats show that he is not. I don't believe there even are "shut down" corners in today's NFL, so while he may allow less passes then most other CBs, I just can't see him being worth the pick unless he's a guy that gets ints. I wouldn't even say he has to be a ball hawk, again that word was only used to refute the Ed Reed comparisons.

Can you be an elite QB one year and then not the next? Not sure why that is confusing. Peyton Manning was an elite QB in what 2013 and 2014, not so much in 2015. Or if you want an apples to apples comparison, Deangelo Hall was a ball hawk, he got old and is no longer one, so yes you can be a ballhawk one year and not the next, sometimes you're just in the zone for a season. Sometimes you're a guy like Richard Sherman who sustains it over several season, sometime you're a guy like Ed Reed and you've done it for so long, that even when you're having a down year teams avoid airing it out enough that you still impact a QBs decisions. It rarely happens the other way, outside of a spike in production, which is why I doubt Ramsey will be worth #4.

No, elite QBs do not just go from elite to not unless they are done or the team around them simply sucks. Manning retired after 2015.

And just because a CB gets a bunch of interceptions one year and then not the next doesn't mean that he just lost the ability to get interceptions. That's why this whole ballhawk thing being equated to interceptions is really just stupid.

As long as my CB is around the ball and preventing completions I'm happy. If he should happen to pick a few of them off. I'm very happy.

And interceptions are a rarity in the NFL anyway. If you can manage 1 every 4 games you will find yourself very close to the top 10.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I am not gonna lie .....I want Zeke, and will be disappointed in anything else.

I will cry and moan for weeks on end if I do not get what I want.

I will badmouth whoever they pick and hate on him even if he becomes a good player.

Oh wait ........ I have a life.

Dude, don't lie.

Vero_F250

Reaction score
105.3 The Fan: Be Prepared for a late-round exploration by Dallas to re-enter the first round with a package that includes pick No. 34 and a target of a quarterback.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
105.3 The Fan: Be Prepared for a late-round exploration by Dallas to re-enter the first round with a package that includes pick No. 34 and a target of a quarterback.

I don't know if that is any good. That actually tells me that they don't take Zeke at 4. Because if you take RB at 4 and then go ahead and combine your 2nd and 3rd or 4th round pick to get back into the first round to pick a QB, isn't that too much to invest in offense only. I mean what about our defense then?
This rumor actually tells me it's Ramsey or trade down or sth like that.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
No, elite QBs do not just go from elite to not unless they are done or the team around them simply sucks. Manning retired after 2015.

Ok, so you can go from being elite one year, to not elite...thanks for agreeing with me

And just because a CB gets a bunch of interceptions one year and then not the next doesn't mean that he just lost the ability to get interceptions. That's why this whole ballhawk thing being equated to interceptions is really just stupid.

And Ramsey has never shown the ability to get ints, hence the hesitation. And if you have a problem with the word ball hawk being equated with interceptions, you're arguing with the wrong person, because I didn't come up with it, but I can assure you, ballhawk is equated with interceptions. But again, you can be good or even great without being a ball hawk. I would not call Darrelle Revis a ball hawk, but he's undoubtedly a great corner, not sure why you keep trying to change the definition of ball hawk. It's a fact that up until now, Ramsey has not shown the ability to be one. It's an opinion that he's not worth the #4 pick because of it. We can disagree on the opinion all we want, but the ball hawk part is just a fact.

As long as my CB is around the ball and preventing completions I'm happy. If he should happen to pick a few of them off. I'm very happy.

And interceptions are a rarity in the NFL anyway. If you can manage 1 every 4 games you will find yourself very close to the top 10.

I have no reason to believe that he will get 4 in a season on a consistent basis and even if he did, that's nothing to write home about, but again, he could be a really good player and get less than that. That's just not what I'd want from the 4th pick.

Vero_F250

Reaction score
I don't know if that is any good. That actually tells me that they don't take Zeke at 4. Because if you take RB at 4 and then go ahead and combine your 2nd and 3rd or 4th round pick to get back into the first round to pick a QB, isn't that too much to invest in offense only. I mean what about our defense then?
This rumor actually tells me it's Ramsey or trade down or sth like that.

Yeah I think it's Ramsey 1a and Zeke 1b from what I've heard. They will get one or the other, it just depends on if Ramsey is there at 4 or not.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I till have some hope for Bosa,how can we pass on the best pass rusher in the draft and take a RB?

Vero_F250

Reaction score
It won't happen but some are saying with the run on QBs and O line they hope Rankins falls close to them. Again, I just don't see it.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Maybe. It's been a long day.

As long as we agree that he has the potential to be a great CB and worthy of the number 4 pick in this draft, I agree with you.

I personally think that he will get interceptions and reach the mythical status of ballhawk in his career.

"BlindFaith", indeed. :D

coogrfan

Reaction score

Where do you suppose a guy who produced 1 per 14 games played (as JR did in college) would rank?

RoboQB

Reaction score
Ive seen some on this board that think Reed was not worth a top 10 pick

Wow! Let's put it this way... when you have a coach like Bill Belicheck, the best coach in the last decade or more, walk up and shake your hand after games and genuinely
tell anyone that you are the best of all time at your position... well, it really doesn't matter what a bunch of idiots in a message board think about you.

Ed Reed was a baller!

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I still contend that if you fix your D line, you fix your secondary at the same time. If you fix your secondary.......it doesn't do anything to fix your D line. It just seems like a waste to me. A great D line can make an average secondary look great.

I agree....IF....IF...there is a player in this draft that can "fix" a d-line. I don't think the Cowboys think Bosa is that guy. And I don't think Bosa is that guy. If there was a player in this draft that could "fix" your d-line....he would go in the top 2 picks. Because these QBs speculated to go in the first 2 picks are not "fix" your franchise type of QBs. These guys are not Andrew Lucks. Heck I don't think they are Jamis Winston or Marcus Marriota. These guys are "have a chance to be good" type of QBs.

So I would take a sure fire sack machine over a lockdown CB....but I guess there are no sure fire sack machines worthy of the #4 overall pick. Cowboys might feel like they can get a 7 - 8 sacks a season guy in the 2nd round...ala Demarcus Lawrence.

Carson

Reaction score
Ramsey is nothing like Darren Woodson, more like Charles Woodson

I don't think he's like either. Woodson had more picks in each season at Michigan than Ramsey had in his 3 year career. Plus Woodson was an outstanding cover guy. But I do see it from an athletic standpoint.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Thank God no Bosa. Give me Ramsey. We need dire help in the secondary. I'm not as concerned with our pass rush as others.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I'd be okay with Ramsey only if we went DL in the 2nd. I'd hate for us to go Ramsey and WR/RB/QB in the 2nd and not address DL until the middle rounds.