Clearance Hill: Earl Thomas has no interest in giving the Cowboys a HT discount

glimmerman

Reaction score
Then don’t sign him. Get a push from the middle of the DL and you won’t need a ball hawk as much. Our secondary will be better this year even without him. Make him go to the texans. I don’t care how good he was last year. Broke the same leg twice and another year older. Not over paying him. My guess is that the FO already has him signed pretty much. Let SJ work on his contract. If ET don’t like it then oh well.

glimmerman

Reaction score
30 is relatively young for a free safety.

Ed Reed, Charles Woodson, and Rod Woodson played well into their 30s.

And yes, Thomas is absolutely in that class.

And a broken tibia or fibula is nothing.
I don’t disagree with you but if he wants stupid money then no. Lol. I say that as if I have the final say. Lol.

Let’s get that D-Line and push up the middle established and we won’t need that position as bad.

Sydla

Reaction score
After the Gregory news............. if Thomas wants $13MM+, then I think I'd rather sign one of the lesser named Ss that can play a little and use Thomas' money to sign a DE.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not shocked at all. I think he’ll get it. Not sure it’s with us.

I hope not with us!

He can get his 'stupid money' somewhere else.

But I'll chalk this up to talk and bluster at this point and see how things play out. But if he wants $13 million plus? I truly hope he goes somewhere else.

erod

Reaction score
I don’t disagree with you but if he wants stupid money then no. Lol. I say that as if I have the final say. Lol.

Let’s get that D-Line and push up the middle established and we won’t need that position as bad.

Without Thomas, next season is over before it begins. That schedule will crush Dallas without elite deep safety play.

You have to pay elite players. But I don't think it will be that crazy. Probably a guaranteed $30 million for 3 years with an option.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
30 is relatively young for a free safety.

Ed Reed, Charles Woodson, and Rod Woodson played well into their 30s.

And yes, Thomas is absolutely in that class.

And a broken tibia or fibula is nothing.

And there is NOBODY in free agency remotely in his class for consideration.

At $13 million a year?

Don't care.

He can get lost.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He wants more than 13 per year.

Smell ya later, Earl.
What he wants and what the market will bear are two different things

He doesn't have to give a discount....... he is worth around 8-9m a year.... add some incentives to let him prove he is still amongst the best

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
He's always been honest about wanting money/security.

So, no surprise there. Guess it'll come down to what offers he receives. Could see 49ers give him the biggest deal.

Exactly. This is the guy's last deal. If they want him, they're going to have to pay for him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then next season is already over.[/QUOTE}

For you maybe. Thomas is good but he's not that good. He certainly hasn't been for Seattle for two of the last three years.

If he refuses to take that fact into consideration and is simply out for all that he can get? He can get lost.

The Eric Berry deal is the benchmark, and it's awful. The Chiefs would get out of it this second if they could. And other safety numbers don't come close. I have no interest in setting a new high benchmark in a falling market. I'll sign anyone but Earl Thomas if he's looking for $13 million a year.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I wonder when the news about Ganjory hit them, if that shifted the priorities on the shopping list for FA and the value of Thomas? They must also prepare for worst case scenario, they have to tag Lawrence and he's a no show. Not likely, but proper management requires the unlikely be planned and prepared for and they are vulnerable on that DL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then next season is already over.
You are placing a lot of importance on this one player. If the pass rush does not improve from last season, they could put Polamalu and Reed back there and still get shredded. First things first and that DL comes first. They needed help with Gregory playing.

HanD

Reaction score
Again everyone worried about the $$ and understand why but we just have to look at the facts of the situation and what the front office is doing to see where we are going. Fact one, everyone knows Earl wants to play in Dallas, second, he moved his family to Austin and enrolled the kids in school there, third, he has been seen a number of times working out with Lawrence and Jaylon Smith, fourth, Stephen met with his agents in Indy yesterday and no mention of Stephen meeting with any other safety agent, fifth, the front office is trying to put the best team they can on the field for 2019 and have said that S, TE, and DL are three of the top five needs.

So yesterday they convinced Witten to come out of retirement which gives you a great Y option, leadership on and off the field, a valuable piece for an outlet for Dak, better redzone offense, another coach for the young TEs, and solves part of a need. No, it does not mean Dallas will not sign a TE in free agency nor will it make it unlikely to draft a TE. I still believe that Tyler Eifert could very well become a Cowboy for similar money that Witten is getting and if healthy and stays that way gives you another great option. Now what does it mean for Jarwin, Schultz and Gathers? It gives all of them time to develop. I know most are ruling out Gathers but not going to do that just yet. If we draft another TE then it does make Jarwin a trade piece for a late round choice though.

What does Earl bring? All the same things that Witten does but on defense. He will make the defense much better from all points. His contract is not that much of a sticking point as we are led to believe. Dallas could easily give him a 5 year $60 million contract with $30 million in guarantees and not hurt any of the other signing or extensions they ARE going to do this offseason. Like it or not, Thomas is destined to be a Cowboy.

Fairly certain we will see Lawrence and the Cowboys come to terms on a new contract well before March 13th and would not be surprised to see extensions for Prescott and Cooper come before that also. If anyone thinks they are not talking with the agents for Prescott, Elliott, Cooper and Jones already then you are living under a rock. The larger question for me is will Dallas dip into the DE market in free agency for a better than backup option. Will Dallas make a play for Fowler or Harold or Flowers if they aren't resigned first. Sure I would like to see a good DT also but how long have we been waiting on that one, probably going to draft a guy again.

i missed reports of his workouts...do you have links? i'd love to read them.

Dallas isn't supposed to be meeting with anyone yet. that's tampering. they backed out real quick with the report of meeting with ET's team and said it wasn't official. they technically aren't supposed to be meeting with anyone's agents or team....

stiletto

Reaction score
Always follow the money....that will tell the tale. I don't blame a guy for getting whatever he can get.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Then we should move on and sign one of the many upgrades available on the open market.
If he’s gonna be a money-grubbing individual who’s coming off 2 broken legs in 3 seasons then give me Landon Collins and Adrian Amos.

erod

Reaction score
You are placing a lot of importance on this one player. If the pass rush does not improve from last season, they could put Polamalu and Reed back there and still get shredded. First things first and that DL comes first. They needed help with Gregory playing.

You can't play defense against elite offenses with any consistency without a free safety.

Dallas does not have a free safety. Just a bunch of strong safeties pretending to play free safety.

Earl Thomas is the best there is. An all-time great.

The season is already over without him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
No player, and I mean no player, is going to publicly and openly say they're available on the cheap. That's bad business on their part.

Exactly, no one gives away leverage before negotiations even start. The key is how much money ET will take as incentives instead of guaranteed money - and right now we have no idea about that part of it.