Clearance Hill: Earl Thomas has no interest in giving the Cowboys a HT discount

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This looks like a whole lot of "public negotiations" going on to me.

Here's Charean Williams giving us the Cowboys side of things:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/01/earl-thomas-could-be-out-of-cowboys-price-range/

"Earl Thomas wants to become the highest-paid safety in the NFL, with a deal worth more than the $13 million annual contract of Chiefs safety Eric Berry, Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports. That’s not good news for Cowboys fans, who had their hearts set on their team signing Thomas.

If the Seahawks’ safety, who played high school and college football in Texas, won’t give the Cowboys a “hometown discount,” as Hill reports, then Thomas will be out of the Cowboys’ price range.

Thomas will get more money to sign elsewhere.

The Cowboys have big contracts with their own players to get done.
"

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Call his bluff, we will see how bad he really wants to play in Dallas soon enough :thumbup:

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As it is for every player....

It's called negotiation, folks. Have you never done it? You don't play all your cards in the first five minutes.

Thomas desperately wants to play here, but no, he's not willing to do it for free.

4 years, $40 million, club option in year 3. Do it.

Nothing would make a bigger difference to this defense
Wait, you think athletes play sports for "the love of the game"?? Are you that naive? He just came off a serious injury and plays in the NFL. Of course it's about the money. It is for every player.

Fans expecting these players to take these discounts is silly. Would you take a big discount in salary at your job? Of course you wouldn't, You be be insulted.
Who mentioned discount? Readung comprehension is your friend.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Move on and find a younger , hungrier safety. No need for Thomas. Who knows how he will come back or how long he'll last. I'm over him. Hopefully Dallas is too. LOL. Oh wait. I forgot who I was talking about... Earl will be a Cowboy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Call his bluff, we will see how bad he really wants to play in Dallas soon enough :thumbup:

That's what I'm doing. If he wants to run straight to San Francisco for $13 million a year?
tenor.gif

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Has nothing to do with the salary. Everything to do with the long term security. But when players do this, they are deemed being "selfish" from fans sitting on their couches watching on tv. Not going what they are going through.
He's selfish and a me first player. Last year proved that and was my point not this year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I told you ET was never going to give a discount. Fans here in CZ need to stop bringing up this greedy player and stop matching him to the Cowboys. He will never be a Cowboy. Time to forget this greedy player and move on.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Hope everyone is ready for the “honest offer” presser

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
If he's still hungup on being the "highest paid" safety that don't sound like team commitment to me......make a reasonably, if he turns it down, let's move on to the second best option.

I'm hoping our days of overpaying for past success with another team are over.

Hardline

Reaction score
The Dallas /Ft. Worth area is not his home town. Why would he give the Cowboys a home town discount

Big_D

Reaction score
WHAT A SHOCK!!!! lol The guy will be looking to get paid. This is his last opportunity at a big contract. Hometown discount? That's hilarious.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Move on. $$$$ is all he is interested in now.
Go in another direction..
I'm paying Earl Thomas the top safety despite playing just 29 games in the last three season? No thanks. Why some of our fanbase wants this diva is beyond me. Thank goodness the Cowboys can't afford what he wants.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I 100% believe that Thomas is looking for the money, that was the root of his whole beef with Seattle to begin with, but he's probably not going to be the highest paid safety in football at 30 years old and fresh off a blown ACL.

I really don't know how this one is going to go. The Cowboys have made it clear with the whole trade negotiation last summer that they want Thomas, but only at their price. And if Thomas wants big money, SF or Cleveland or Houston could put up a contract offer that we could never match without even blinking. Old, bad knees, they don't care - those teams have to spend some coin just to make it to the league salary floor.

This could still work out though. If Thomas is willing to sign in $10 million range, then I think Jerry would offer than contract in an snap, and ET would get to play on a top 10 defense for a playoff team with his old secondary coach. We want him here: the ball's in ET's court, and it really comes down to how serious he is about the "highest paid safety" thing.

Last edited: