Video: Clip Emerges of Jerry Jones Making Racially-Charged Joke

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Do I think Jerry is a racist? No, not based on that clip. Do I think the chief executive of the Dallas Cowboys had any business making that joke in public and straight to a camera no less? Of course not, if its nothing else, it was an incredibly hamfisted potential PR nightmare and Jerry did it anyway. Sometimes he cant help himself. You'd expect more intelligence from a corporate officer, but the sauce appeared to have been flowing that night, which may be a problem in its own right. I hope he didn't drive home.
That is all we are saying...... there is a huge spread between racist-------inappropriate---------good clean fun

What he said was inappropriate but being white, drunk, rich and an owner make it news..... it isn't big news but it is worth seeing and discussing ............. nothing should come of it but Jerry looking stupid again

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Going forward, can I run hot topics by you and your wife to determine whether or not I should be offended? I sure as heck don't want to be what's wrong with today's society.
The whole idea that white people can't talk about what is offensive or not and that it is OK if a couple black people allow it is ridiculous........ we are all here on a ProFootball board with educated opinions although none of us played Pro ball(maybe a few)....... people can have rational discussions on any topic they are familiar with and knowledgeable about...... we might not share all the nuances and experiences but we damn sure can speak on it

aria

Reaction score
Snowflakes think this is a hot topic.
I'm far from a snowflake and I acknowledged it's not a big deal to me but I also acknowledged that I could see how some people could be offended by this.

Someone here already acknowledged how it could be perceived as racist with a good explanation. Please tell me if it was just supposed to be a joke why did he specifically say "a black girl"? Why is that funny?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The lawsuit would cripple the NFL. If the owners can't stomach the Deflate Gate cost just wait for this bill. NFL owners have a good track record of winning against the NFL. Mainly Davis and Jones. The NFL even lost a lawsuit to the USFL but the jury got cute on the damages and the Judge let it stand. As is stands the NFL is facing Kaepernick, Aaron Hernandez lawsuit (reopening the CTE debate), and now Jones.

I don't understand this part. The Owners are the NFL, so far as I can tell. I would say that the idea that owners have a good track record against the NFL or the League, I will say, is not entirely accurate. The League has won many more of these the they've lost. Primarily because the League is the owners and when you have one owner or a hand full of owners bringing suit, they are usually in the minority. I would have to see a bigger picture of the track record to know for sure, it that is accurate.

Last edited:

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
I don't understand this part. The Owners are the NFL, so far as I can tell. I would say that the idea that owners have a good track record against the NFL or the League, I will say, is not entirely accurate. The League has won many more of these the they've lost. Primarily because the League is the owners and when you have one owner or a hand full of owners bringing suit, they are usually in the minority. I would have to see a bigger picture of the track record to know for sure, it that is accurate.

other than Al Davis, what other owner has actually sued the nfl?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Something I have been pondering........

This feud has been brewing for awhile behind the scenes, not just a recent event. Why would the NFL have the draft in Dallas then. Was it to maybe pacify Jones hoping he backed off and this never hit the media?

I would think the draft would have been elsewhere. Why would Goodell expose himself to be there in April if he knew this was going to get ugly?

I just can't put two and two together here........
Yeah, I've been thinking about that too. Goodell and Jerry play nice sometimes but obviously don't like each other.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
That is all we are saying...... there is a huge spread between racist-------inappropriate---------good clean fun

What he said was inappropriate but being white, drunk, rich and an owner make it news..... it isn't big news but it is worth seeing and discussing ............. nothing should come of it but Jerry looking stupid again

Why is it inappropriate? Unwise because there are a lot of stupid people that are babies, and too many in our society feel the need to coddle them? Maybe.

I don't think we should cater to the least common denominators amongst us, though.

aria

Reaction score
Why is it inappropriate? Unwise because there are a lot of stupid people that are babies, and too many in our society feel the need to coddle them? Maybe.

I don't think we should cater to the least common denominators amongst us, though.
What an arrogant POS. I guess nothing offends you, I'd love to see your reaction to some of the things that piss you off and then call you a baby and a "least common denominator". Ironic coming from someone with a baby as an avatar.

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

It is inappropriate because he is trying to shock the bride to be by saying the guy is going to bed with a black girl tonight on his bachelor party...... he could have said he is going with the stripper or a prostitute but he said specifically said black girl to get the most bang for his lame joke

Even if you are being complimentary using racial stereotypes is inappropriate for a drunk white old man in leadership position over many young black men...... if you can't see that then I can't help you any further

It doesn't mean Jerry is in the Klan or should be punished but he should be embarrassed and a little ashamed .......that is why the guy released the tape... to embarrass him and now we have to defend our "idiot liquored up" Owner again

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Thank you.

Incredible how soft society has become.
It isn't not about being soft..... it is self inflicted wounds by this drunken idiot all the time

If he reversed the genders and told the groom to be that the bachelorette was going home with a black guy tonight nobody would have a problem seeing the racial overtones....why is this different?

Reaction score
It isn't not about being soft..... it is self inflicted wounds by this drunken idiot all the time

If he reversed the genders and told the groom to be that the bachelorette was going home with a black guy tonight nobody would have a problem seeing the racial overtones....why is this different?
It was a joke. They were kidding around. They had a couple of drinks.

So what? Who cares?

All the issues going on these days and this is what gets people worked up?

Some body called it the outrage culture. Very accurate term. People looking for any little thing to get upset over, no matter how silly.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It was a joke. They were kidding around. They had a couple of drinks.

So what? Who cares?

All the issues going on these days and this is what gets people worked up?

Some body called it the outrage culture. Very accurate term. People looking for any little thing to get upset over, no matter how silly.
It is OK for you to say it or anyone else that isn't an Owner in a league were 70% of the players are black.....if 5% of the people are offended that is way too many for a business that needs all the good PR it can get........ it is an unforced error that only hurts...... it doesn't help

And I don't see anyone making a Federal case out of it but just pretending like it didn't happen isn't fair either

Kevinicus

Reaction score
It is inappropriate because he is trying to shock the bride to be by saying the guy is going to bed with a black girl tonight on his bachelor party...... he could have said he is going with the stripper or a prostitute but he said specifically said black girl to get the most bang for his lame joke

Even if you are being complimentary using racial stereotypes is inappropriate for a drunk white old man in leadership position over many young black men...... if you can't see that then I can't help you any further

It doesn't mean Jerry is in the Klan or should be punished but he should be embarrassed and a little ashamed .......that is why the guy released the tape... to embarrass him and now we have to defend our "idiot liquored up" Owner again

Yeah, I am sorry anyone thinks that is inappropriate. And by sorry, I mean I feel real sincere pity. I can't imagine living my life being bothered even the smallest bit by that, and being completely unable to laugh at anything.. It must be why there are so many that can't handle when real truly bad things happen.