Clowney reportedly interested in Saints and Cowboys

kskboys

Reaction score
You still aren't making sense. The disruption from a DE is mostly measured in sacks and Clowney has averaged 6 sacks a season for five years. He isn't "disruptive" enough to get a multiyear offer so far.

If he was a DT you might have a point. But he isn't, so you don't.
No, Kaiser, it's not.

And not correct. SEA offered a multi year deal around 15-16 mil/season.

You simply have your facts completely wrong here.

He was also offered a big contract by CLEV, and I think it was multi year also.

Clowney has not signed because he wants more than he's worth. No other reason. Your conjecture is way off base.

Reactions: BAT

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Clowney only had 3 sacks last year. He sucks!!!

Taco had 5! More than Clowney...and way much cheaper!

But you want overrated Clowney??? :laugh::facepalm:

You said he was not pursued by any teams. You are either ignorant or you lied.

Be accountable.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It does not matter who this clown is interested in. What matters is who is interested in him and apparently it's not the Cowboys or Saints until he humbles himself to take less.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Clowney has not signed because he wants more than he's worth. No other reason. Your conjecture is way off base.

Those offers are rumors and we know he hasn't signed. It still doesn't put any logical consistency into your statement that he is one of the "most disruptive players in the NFL" but only a good player who isn't worth top money.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Those offers are rumors and we know he hasn't signed. It still doesn't put any logical consistency into your statement that he is one of the "most disruptive players in the NFL" but only a good player who isn't worth top money.

I agree. At his age, if he truly was considered one of the most disruptive players in the league he would have been signed early on in free agency. The rumors of the contracts offered don't come close to what would be expected of a player of his supposed caliber. If teams truly think of him as one of the best, then they would be willing to give him close to the money he wants.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I agree. At his age, if he truly was considered one of the most disruptive players in the league he would have been signed early on in free agency. The rumors of the contracts offered don't come close to what would be expected of a player of his supposed caliber. If teams truly think of him as one of the best, then they would be willing to give him close to the money he wants.

Plus he would still likely be playing for the Texans. How many times do teams let an elite player leave in FA?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Clowney is a pressure player. Sacks stats on their own mean nothing.

He plays the run well also.

He just isnt a 20M a year player like he thinks he is.

It's fairly clear Dallas isnt going to give him what he wants, and it would only be (going off JJT) a 1 year 7-9m deal.

Anyone who doesnt want that guy playing for the 90 or so million he thinks he deserves that he isnt getting is nuts.

He is the perfect prove it deal guy, and may be the difference between finally getting to a title game or not for this team this year.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Clowney is an accident waiting to happen, as Stephen A would say. :lmao2:

Kaiser

Reaction score
He is the perfect prove it deal guy, and may be the difference between finally getting to a title game or not for this team this year.

Clowney has been on a walk year contract twice before and still hasn't broken out. Sacks don't always track with pressures like you say, but they will over a five year career and Clowney has never posted double digit sacks in any of those years. He does play the run well and obviously has a ton of physical talent, but he was on "prove it" deals twice with Houston and they ate an 7MM cap hit to trade him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Clowney has been on a walk year contract twice before and still hasn't broken out. Sacks don't always track with pressures like you say, but they will over a five year career and Clowney has never posted double digit sacks in any of those years. He does play the run well and obviously has a ton of physical talent, but he was on "prove it" deals twice with Houston and they ate an 7MM cap hit to trade him.
That's fair but who is your starting RDE as we speak?

Gregory? We know that story.

Crawford? If you could have Clowney for his same money you do it.

I get what you mean about Clowney but we arent talking about the money he is looking for either.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Plus he would still likely be playing for the Texans. How many times do teams let an elite player leave in FA?

Not a very well thought out premise.

Reggie White
Deion Sanders
Simeon Rice
Rod Woodson
Kenny Norton
Alvin Harper
Mark Stepnoski
Kevin Mawae
Curtis Martin
LaRoi Glover
Javon Kearse
Charles Woodson
Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
DeMarcus Ware

And that's just off the top of my head.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Clowney is a pressure player. Sacks stats on their own mean nothing.

He plays the run well also.

He just isnt a 20M a year player like he thinks he is.

It's fairly clear Dallas isnt going to give him what he wants, and it would only be (going off JJT) a 1 year 7-9m deal.

Anyone who doesnt want that guy playing for the 90 or so million he thinks he deserves that he isnt getting is nuts.

Do you really think 7-9 million is going to be acceptable to him?

Kaiser

Reaction score
That's fair but who is your starting RDE as we speak?.

I think we have five options and someone will emerge out of those five. Would Clowney be way more of a sure thing and play as good or better? Sure. But even if Clowney took something like the 8MM he made last year, I would go with the guys we have. Smith or Gregory could emerge and play really well in that spot. Anae will likely be a very good situational player. Dorance Armstrong will be a solid backup IMO.

Crawford is solid on run downs if you are forced to give him reps (not my preference) and then you can rotate in someone on the passing sets. I also think its certain his salary gets reset downward and the most likely scenarios is either him being a backup at multiple positions again or he gets traded at the end of training camp if the others emerge.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, they are not rumors. If you weren't lazy you could easily look them up. However, since it would disprove what you're saying, I'm sure you're avoiding doing so.

It's only logical if you have an understanding of NFL football.

kskboys

Reaction score
OMG, you've admitted something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sound the horns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Throwing tantrum will not cover fact that you were talking out of your ace.
No, I wasn't. Nobody wants that overrated loser. The Seahawks actually dropped their previous offer of $17 mil/year and now are no longer seriously interested. Keep talking. Hear nothing but whining.

kskboys

Reaction score
Man, you guys really need to pay more attention to the NFL!!!!!! I really thought everyone knew this stuff.

Oh, and not one of the best. One of the most disruptive.

What Clowney really needs is some hard coaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: BAT