Coaching candidates ideas from the Fan

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
You'd think if you were such a big fan of the guy you would know his name. PS, name one of Belichicks coaches that have ever left and had success.

yea I guess i wrote mike accidentally. I definitely don't know anything.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
My math skills aint as sharp as they used to be but if he signed the contract in January of 2015 ( according to this article ), he's in the 3rd year of his contract

2015 would be year 1
2016 would be year 2
2017 is year 3

where'd I mess up?
He was extended after the glorious 2015 season, still hasn't completed year three. I did not do a good job of explaining my point. He has two full seasons left. Jones might eat one, but I don't see him doing two.

Alexander

Reaction score
Patricia is ******* horrible. What are you guys smoking? This team needs an offensive minded HC.
I understand the need for a strong defensive mind since that side of the ball has been so bad for all of Garrett's tenure. Not sure there is a right answer.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You know...I think Garrett is worse than Jerry.

Jerry has obviously taken a step back. I think the team ‘s acquisition philosophy has a lot to do with Garrett(we used to draft defense early and often prior to Jason) but I think the actual picking of the players has more to do with McClay than Jerry.

I think this is a talented football team that is poorly coached.

100%

Alexander

Reaction score
This is the problem.

Most any HC candidate with a shred of self-respect wouldn't come to Dallas because Odds are that Jerry will not let them hire their own staff.

Hire a HC, let that HC pick their staff, let them pick their own assitance. If they want to start anew from scouting to the sidelines, then fine.

But that just won't happen in Dallas.
This. Over and over again.

Contrary to popular belief, this is not a plum job that practically anybody would take for that very reason. There will be someone in a key position that Jones will insist on keeping. If he is not afraid to hire an OC before a head coach, force a defensive coordinator on one of the greatest head coaches of all time, he is not going to suddenly change his tune. Unless all the contracts align, there will never be a clean sweep.

yimyammer

Reaction score
He was extended after the glorious 2015 season, still hasn't completed year three. I did not do a good job of explaining my point. He has two full seasons left. Jones might eat one, but I don't see him doing two.

Serious question, not arguing, if the date of the article reporting the new contract I linked is January 13, 2015, how do you conclude he was extended after the 2015 season? Not to mention, they went 4-12 that year so we know he didn't get extended after that result.

We are both are saying there are 2 seasons left so I'm sure Im just misunderstanding something

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Just adding some current and former (Turner) NFL coaches out there.
Reich is only one that hasn't been a NFL HC already.

Norv Turner
Bill Callahan
Tony Sparano
Steve Spagnuolo
Ken Whisenhunt
Pat Shurmer
Jim Schwartz
Mike McCoy
Josh McDaniels
Frank Reich
That's a sorry list. Yuck.

Alexander

Reaction score
Serious question, not arguing, if the date of the article reporting the new contract I linked is January 13, 2015, how do you conclude he was extended after the 2015 season? Not to mention, they went 4-12 that year so we know he didn't get extended after that result.

We are both are saying there are 2 seasons left so I'm sure Im just misunderstanding something
No you are correct. He was extended in January 2015. 2015-16, 2016-17 and this will end season 3 in a few weeks.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I am definitely not looking for a retread. Could we steal Zimmer away from the Vikes? He has exceeded expectations as a Head Coach. We definitely need an innovator on offense, someone that can get the best out of Dak and our WR's.

Has Dennis Thurman completely fallen off the map? He has a long resume. I know he got fired after 2016 season with Rex Ryan but I wonder if he could be a HC. Ken Norton was the other guy mentioned, his problems in Oakland notwithstanding.
Zimmer would be great and a Defensive guy. Todd Haley was a Cowboy position coach yrs ago.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I dont believe that. Eventually every dog has his day, and HIS is coming. The players will MAKE HIM be gone. They dont believe in his line of bullscheet anymore. Pretty sure they mail it in from here. If so,...HE IS GONE.
I doubt it. I also hope you are right. Jones wants him and he has his built in excuses. He survives his contract providing Jerry does.

Alexander

Reaction score
Zimmer would be great and a Defensive guy. Todd Haley was a Cowboy position coach yrs ago.
Haley was awful in Kansas City. He has had ups and downs even as a coordinator in Pittsburgh. Why anyone would want him is beyond me.

I didn't even like him when he was in Dallas.

DCC_Parcells-Haley-punch.gif

Never forget.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Haley was awful in Kansas City. He has had ups and downs even as a coordinator in Pittsburgh. Why anyone would want him is beyond me.

I didn't even like him when he was in Dallas.

DCC_Parcells-Haley-punch.gif

Never forget.
Yeah, Haley was bad in KC.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Hmmm..I'm not sure Patricias experience:

College coaching career
Patricia remained at RPI to begin his coaching career as a graduate assistant in 1996.[1] He spent the next two years as an application engineer with Hoffman Air & Filtration Systems in East Syracuse, New York.[2] Much sought-after in engineering circles, he received a $100,000-a-year offer to maintain nuclear submarines and aircraft carriers with the Westinghouse Electric Company,[3] but decided to return to football as the defensive line coach for Amherst College from 1999 to 2000. In 2001, he moved to Syracuse University as an offensive graduate assistant for the team, a position he held for three seasons.[4]

Professional coaching career[edit]
Patricia joined the Patriots under head coach Bill Belichick as an offensive coaching assistant in 2004. In 2005, upon the departure of assistant offensive line/tight ends coach Jeff Davidson, Patricia was reassigned as the Patriots' assistant offensive line coach. Then-linebackers coach Dean Pees was promoted to defensive coordinator after the season, prompting another reassignment for Patricia, this time to linebackers coach for the 2006 season. Patricia was named the team's safeties coach in 2011. In 2012, he was promoted to the title of defensive coordinator, despite having called plays on defense since the departure of Pees following the 2009season. He won Super Bowl XXXIX at the end of the 2004 season, Super Bowl XLIX with the Patriots at the end of the 2014 season, as well as Super Bowl LI at the end of the 2016 season. In January 2016, the Patriots gave permission for Patricia to interview for the head-coaching position of the Cleveland Browns. Patricia would remain with the Patriots as defensive coordinator going into the 2016 season. On February 5, 2017, Patricia won his third Super Bowl championship in Super Bowl LI. In the game, the Patriots defeated the Atlanta Falcons by a score of 34–28 in overtime.[5]

can stack up with Garretts:

2005-06: Quarterback coach for Miami Dolphins
2007-2010: OC for the Dallas Cowboys
2011 to present: Head coach of the Dallas Cowboys

To be fair, you forgot Garrett's "most likely to clap" election in high school.

Verdict

Reaction score
Jesse Holley and company just looked at possible candidates to be the HC or OC/DC.

He first said that Jim Haurbagh is not coming here as he makes 9 million per year and is home.

He also said why would Jon Gruden leave the booth when he's making that much money etc. I don't think he would because he would have to face his brother twice per year.

The candidates.

Art Briles- Cavanaugh said we would take a PR hit, but no doubt the guy can coach. Said when he visited TC he helped install some of the RPO's with Dak (thought that was interesting).

James Franklin- They all 3 agreed this would be an excellent hire, Young and gifted.

Jimbo Fisher- they were all kind of meh on this candidate.

I think I could actually be excited about Briles and Franklin actually. Briles intrigues me.

He then added hot up and coming Coordinators.

Jim Bob Cooter- OC Detroit
Terrel Austin- DC Detroit
Mike Patricia- DC NE, (Cavanaugh things he is going to be really good because he has coached everything from Oline to Safety. Plus he has a super high IQ).

Anyway just thought I would share. I really like the idea of Briles and Franklin actually. Briles is a winner no matter where he's been. Franklin is young and exciting.

The final candidate....they were all for him. Said he wants out of Zona, Bruce Arians. Would take it tomorrow!

I'm not sure how I would feel about this but you can probably add in Bob Stoops to that conversation.