Coaching observation

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'll play whatever I wanna play while you live in delulu land. Anyone that thinks this Dak lead team is capable of anything more than an early playoff exit is delusional.
They might finally struggle this year, but the Cowboys are slowly rebuilding themselves into a better team.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not totally inclined to blame our troubles on Dak if our defense doesn't do their part in minimizing the pressure exacted on our QB. The Dallas offense is likely demanding enough to make it tough for him to be sufficiently calm under stress, although attempts have been made to "dumb" it down enough to help his cause. Having an improved defense this year might be helpful to ease his angst in the tough contests.

Watching Dak before big games vs. tough teams occasionally reveals excess tension in his visual appearance. Perhaps better pass protection by our OL might ease his angst in the games that worry him the most. Whatever helps him to the greatest extent must be found, otherwise, panic might continue to get the best of him vs. the defenses that threaten QBs the most. Something concrete must be found to ease his fears.

I've posted previously that perhaps a sports psychologist's help could serve Dak well enough to calm him down in stressful situations. I still can't help but to wonder if that might be beneficial to his cause. Not sure if that has been attempted until now or not . . . but it does seem worth a try.

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
History is a good indicator of future success…Big Mike was instrumental in Daks development to near mvp levels… and with ver little running game…. Dan Q has historic meltdowns in big games… check time in Seattle Super Bowl… Atlanta Super Bowl and now this past year vs newcomer GB… I would not be surprised if we do better this year if we improve the run game and if Zim instills that discipline in the defense that was lacking with Quinn
Perhaps you should check points allowed and defensive scoring during Quinns tenure.
Mike McCarthy couldn't even get penalties under control and never had the team prepared for big games.
Mike McCarthy brought in Nolan as a DC, that should tell you all you need to know about his judgment.
MM will be gone before you can spit this year as we actually have a challenging schedule, and oh yeah, the Commanders will be a much better football team.
Book it.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
3 straight 12-5 seasons... All getting knocked out early in playoffs. That's the ceiling of this team with Dak.
Yeah If anything that is making jerry and stephen happy right now it's the fact that we've won 36 games in the regular season, now TOTALLY, I wish it was 40+ games (which would include playoff wins, and wins against teams we shouldn't have lost to)

morasp

Reaction score
Like I've said before there is no way Zimmer's defense gives up 41 points to the Packers in that wild card game.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
History is a good indicator of future success…Big Mike was instrumental in Daks development to near mvp levels… and with ver little running game…. Dan Q has historic meltdowns in big games… check time in Seattle Super Bowl… Atlanta Super Bowl and now this past year vs newcomer GB… I would not be surprised if we do better this year if we improve the run game and if Zim instills that discipline in the defense that was lacking with Quinn
This is a great post. Lots of Dan Quinn fans here. I can’t understand why? I never liked him as a coach. He built his reputation working with a great defensive head coach and had 4/5 probable Hall o Famers on that Seattle D. Guy plays one way - downhill. Sure he can beat up a QB but good teams figure his garbage out. I think Zimmerman is a big upgrade.

The problem is the roster. Too many key guys left. DT is a major issue. RB is a major issue.

shabazz

Reaction score
It all goes back to roster, roster,roster.......these coaches can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

This WILL be the weakest roster we've had in overall decade with a lame duck coach and possibly quarterback and discontented top WR...... Is this a recipe for a great year?

let's be real here.

Aven8

Reaction score
I'm not totally inclined to blame our troubles on Dak if our defense doesn't do their part in minimizing the pressure exacted on our QB. The Dallas offense is likely demanding enough to make it tough for him to be sufficiently calm under stress, although attempts have been made to "dumb" it down enough to help his cause. Having an improved defense this year might be helpful to ease his angst in the tough contests.

Watching Dak before big games vs. tough teams occasionally reveals excess tension in his visual appearance. Perhaps better pass protection by our OL might ease his angst in the games that worry him the most. Whatever helps him to the greatest extent must be found, otherwise, panic might continue to get the best of him vs. the defenses that threaten QBs the most. Something concrete must be found to ease his fears.

I've posted previously that perhaps a sports psychologist's help could serve Dak well enough to calm him down in stressful situations. I still can't help but to wonder if that might be beneficial to his cause. Not sure if that has been attempted until now or not . . . but it does seem worth a try.
A good running game would help that psyche as well. Unfortunately we don’t have a good back.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This is a great post. Lots of Dan Quinn fans here. I can’t understand why? I never liked him as a coach. He built his reputation working with a great defensive head coach and had 4/5 probable Hall o Famers on that Seattle D. Guy plays one way - downhill. Sure he can beat up a QB but good teams figure his garbage out. I think Zimmerman is a big upgrade.

The problem is the roster. Too many key guys left. DT is a major issue. RB is a major issue.
Who do you consider to be the key guys that left?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is plenty of blame to go around, but Dak fails to deliver against quality opponents.
So Philly and Detroit were not quality opponents. I mean, fans on here like the Eagles better than their own team.

They beat the Rams, Seattle when they had winning records, They put 30 points on the 1-0 Jets team, which supposedly had one of the best defenses in the NFL.

I know what you mean, but come on, not every loss is on Dak, it is a team game.
Now do I wish they would move on if the can, yes. I want to see a young up coming QB. But I will root for Dak as long as he is our QB.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Big Mike was instrumental in the WC loss to GB too lol , and where was mvp dak in that game?
Big Mike had historic meltdown in NFC Title game with seattle, had the game won and let seattle come back with miracle win.
He is also a coach who got to playoffs every year with GB and Rodgers, but lost every time . Get to playoffs and lose, doing the same thing
here 3 years in a row.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We will see what zimmer can do while on his 1 year contract. Y'all might want to temper expectations though. Thinking zimmer can Instill discipline on a group that has been purposefully undisciplined by Zimmer's bosses for years is a tough task. The owners and players have vastly different goals than coaches and fans.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Not really.

No run game. Only 1 legit WR. No run Defense. Very hard to win any playoff game with such limitations no matter who your QB is.

This year's draft was very interesting. Going hard to improve our Oline, Dline, a LB, WR and a CB is going to make a big difference down the road, especially come playoff time.
The run defense didn't throw those INT's in a panic..he wasn't even pressured. That was a big time choke job against GB, similar to the SF game the year before.

The QB is supposed to elevate the team, not put it in a hole and expose it's weakness

Creeper

Reaction score
Discipline will help, but the Cowboys just do not have the roster on defense. Unless their 7th round pick and UDFAs are shocking surprises, I expect the DL to get pushed around.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Seeing what Dak might do with better pass protection in the upcoming season might prove interesting. Let's just hope that'll happen! :grin:

gtb1943

Reaction score
MM is certainly the best coach we have had since BP; but that is not saying a lot. HE has a ring; and his GB teams were usually competitive at a higher level then the boys have seen since the 90's.

Bottom line though is that Dak is no Aaron Rodgers. Our D has to be able to make stops when it matters.

This years team baring a near miracle is not as good as last years team. BUT sometimes better coaching can make the difference and Zimmer has an excellent record with D's.

Discipline as a whole needs to be emphasized; stupid mistakes and penalties have been deadly for us and that needs to be cut back.

quickccc

Reaction score
what happen in Seattle SB vs Dan Quinn ?

JBS

Reaction score
No that’s the ceiling with that team. Weakest team up the middle I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen a lot.
Yeah and we aren’t going to be that much better up the middle this season