Coby Fleener?

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I swear we're going to need a "kick the tires" tip jar around here.
I think we "The Zone" have already doled out 14 veteran minimum one million-dollar contracts to players... worth a look...kick the tires...why not... couldn't hurt cast offs. time to trust the player selection and coach them up:)

Last edited:

links18

Reaction score
We need a Safety or a DT before we need to bring in a TE. We have a guy that has already been anointed to the HOF after one preseason, someone the Eagles tried to steal off our practice squad, a 4th round rookie and a professional journeyman already on the roster. Where's the need?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I swear we're going to need a "kick the tires" tip jar around here.
I think we "The Zone" have already doled out 14 veteran minimum one million-dollar contracts to players... worth a look...kick the tires...why not... couldn't hurt cast offs. time to trust the player selection and coach them up:)

Key word in all of this post is "coach".

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We need a Safety or a DT before we need to bring in a TE. We have a guy that has already been anointed to the HOF after one preseason, someone the Eagles tried to steal off our practice squad, a 4th round rookie and a professional journeyman already on the roster. Where's the need?
It's not like we can't do both. Let's talk TE's in this thread, okay?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looks like he may get cut. A one year bridge as our "move" pass-catching TE?

https://www.nola.com/expo/erry-2018/05/19d9e054f59546/7_saints_players_in_jeopardy_o.html

It would be good to include some background on players.

He has 3.4M of his salary guaranteed.

He ended the season with a concussion.

Benjamin Watson is back. He was the starter before going to Baltimore for 2 seasons.

The starters in 2017 were:
Michael Hoomanawanui
Josh Hill

Fleener didn't start in 2017.

A draft report:
STRENGTHS

Fleener has steadily improved during his time at Stanford and turned into a technical, effective route runner who is able to separate at the top of routes. He's an obvious target for the QB and has a good feel for defenders around him. He will go up for the ball, especially in the red zone, where Fleener had 10 touchdowns in 2011 (heading into the team's bowl game). He is a smooth athlete who looks natural running deep down the field, even at his height. He is able to anticipate the throw, find it in the air, and rarely does he not come down with it.

WEAKNESSES
Fleener has struggled as a blocker on the line of scrimmage throughout his collegiate career, although he continues to improve. While he is an explosive athlete with the ball or running in the open field, he is somewhat stale at the line and needs to improve his strength to become a more complete player. His strength can also effect him somewhat in the pass game as he tends to get jammed at the line and can have trouble getting back into his route.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I would feel more comfortable running with the players we selected for the TE position already. No sense of taking snaps away from the players at that position for a cast off just cause he is a veteran at this point in the TE position. It isn’t a good move after Mr. Cowboy retired in my opinion anyway.