Coby Fleener?

Maxmadden

Reaction score
If after training camp, we aren't satisfied with the TE position, you can actually call up the 1-800 number for a blocking TE.

No worries. We lost Witten the leader, not so much as Witten the TE.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is putting his eggs in the Blake Jarwin basket.
I don't understand that answer at all considering the depth of the TE corp the Cowboys have. He will get a lot of snaps but to say he is putting his eggs in Jarwin's basket is discounting the impact of the other TE's.

CWR

Reaction score
3 additions this team can make to make them serious contenders.

Coby Fleener a receiving TE that can stretch the field down the seems.

Jonathan Hankins 1 tech who can eat up double teams.

Tre Boston FS who can give you a veteran playmaking S that is much needed.

Dead on, balls accurate.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I disagree. Without Dez and Witten, expect a lot more diversity in our offense. And at the TE position, we NEED a strong blocker for our run offense. If we didn’t have Swaim and Schultz’s blocking wasn’t as good as advertised, then we would need a progress stopper to fill the gap.

But as a receiver, let’s see what we have
Agree to disagree.

Swaim is adequate at blocking, but he's not some blocking extraordinaire by any means, and Schultz blocking is suspect at the moment.

But this is also completely ignoring the receiving aspect of TE duties.

At this point we know what Swaim and Rico are, and Jarwin and Schultz shouldnt stop anyone from signing a solid vet TE.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Fleener has averaged more yards per reception and a higher 1st down % than Witten 3 of the past 4 years. *Ducks*

Fleener was in his prime during the last 4 seasons. Fleener totaled 177 receptions compared to Witten's 273 receptions over the last 4 years. Witten during the back end of his career has many more receptions than Fleener has during his prime. In fact, Witten had more receptions the last 4 seasons than Fleener has had his entire career(255 receptions).

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Fleener was in his prime during the last 4 seasons. Fleener totaled 177 receptions compared to Witten's 273 receptions over the last 4 years. Witten during the back end of his career has many more receptions than Fleener has during his prime. In fact, Witten had more receptions the last 4 seasons than Fleener has had his entire career(255 receptions).
Stop it facts do not count

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
That's the misleading thing about Witten's stats though. Yeah, he's been a Top-10 TE the past 3-4 years when it comes to receptions but his yards per reception and his 1st down percentages are some of the lowest in the NFL for qualifying TEs. The guy gets a lot of catches because he gets a lot of targets but those catches are mainly underneath and not really challenging defenses over the air. For a guy that is always Top-10 in targets/receptions at his position, for the past three years he's been ranked in the lowest yards per catch among his position...combine that with Dez's lack of big play ability and it's no wonder why the passing game has been stale. Some of that can be attributed to Witten's age and also that Dak is not on the level of Romo yet but either way, we don't have a time machine that can make Witten younger or bring Romo back to 2014.

joseephuss

Reaction score
That's the misleading thing about Witten's stats though. Yeah, he's been a Top-10 TE the past 3-4 years when it comes to receptions but his yards per reception and his 1st down percentages are some of the lowest in the NFL for qualifying TEs. The guy gets a lot of catches because he gets a lot of targets but those catches are mainly underneath and not really challenging defenses over the air. For a guy that is always Top-10 in targets/receptions at his position, for the past three years he's been ranked in the lowest yards per catch among his position...combine that with Dez's lack of big play ability and it's no wonder why the passing game has been stale. Some of that can be attributed to Witten's age and also that Dak is not on the level of Romo yet but either way, we don't have a time machine that can make Witten younger or bring Romo back to 2014.

There is nothing misleading about getting open. That is what Witten did. Fleener doesn't. Especially last season. I think it says quite a bit about Fleener that the Saints are bringing in a 37 year old to be their starting tight end. Dallas doesn't need to rush to bring in a vet. Wait until training camp and pre-season shows you what you got.

exciter

Reaction score

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Well, there’s always an opportunity cost, so that’s how it could hurt. And he may be worth it, but there are only so many reps to be had in mini camp, training camp and during the season
What are you talking about? Bringing him in for a look-see is basically nothing.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I'm thinking the Cowboys will see what they have in training camp before adding anything else. It would not surprise me to see them stand pat. That, and I'm guessing TE usage will decrease with the new offensive scheme they are attempting to move to, which will feature more spread concepts. I'm guessing that is why they are throwing alot of new receivers at the roster.
I think they try to get a guy that used to play for the Chargers !!!!

glimmerman

Reaction score
We will see more than 1 TE brought in and more than 1 on there way out. Swaim and Jerwin and Rico will eventually battle it out. And we drafted one and I believe have another on the udfa.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I rather sign

Gary Barnidge
6'6' / 250
32-year-old free agent TE Gary Barnidge hopes to continue his career despite going unsigned in 2017.

Rec 178
Yds 2258

Barnidge, 31, led the Browns with 79 receptions, 1,043 yards and nine touchdowns in 2015

but may be a progress stopper

I thought this guy was going to be a star a few years ago. Not so much, I guess.