Coby Fleener?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I don't know why it would hurt to at least kick the tires. Bring him in for a look-see.

Well, there’s always an opportunity cost, so that’s how it could hurt. And he may be worth it, but there are only so many reps to be had in mini camp, training camp and during the season

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
If there's one position that we need a "progress stopper" its at the TE position.

I disagree. Without Dez and Witten, expect a lot more diversity in our offense. And at the TE position, we NEED a strong blocker for our run offense. If we didn’t have Swaim and Schultz’s blocking wasn’t as good as advertised, then we would need a progress stopper to fill the gap.

But as a receiver, let’s see what we have

bodi

Reaction score
I rather sign

Gary Barnidge
6'6' / 250
32-year-old free agent TE Gary Barnidge hopes to continue his career despite going unsigned in 2017.

Rec 178
Yds 2258

Barnidge, 31, led the Browns with 79 receptions, 1,043 yards and nine touchdowns in 2015

but may be a progress stopper

DuDa

Reaction score
I rather sign

Gary Barnidge
6'6' / 250
32-year-old free agent TE Gary Barnidge hopes to continue his career despite going unsigned in 2017.

Rec 178
Yds 2258

Barnidge, 31, led the Browns with 79 receptions, 1,043 yards and nine touchdowns in 2015

but may be a progress stopper

I think he has more concussions than games played the last few seasons. That is the reason he went unsigned.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Coby Fleener doesn't fit cause he don't block. Also, Drew Brees is one of th great QBs playing today an he couldn't get much out of Fleener. Gotta block to play n DAL.

Fans always get nervous when there's no clear starter, but having a real competition is th best thing to do...trust a guy n house can do th job.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Looks like he may get cut. A one year bridge as our "move" pass-catching TE?

https://www.nola.com/expo/erry-2018/05/19d9e054f59546/7_saints_players_in_jeopardy_o.html

He's a bit more of a "known commodity" than the 4 we currently have. As fans we may be underestimating the 4 we have though. With Witt's retirement it's time to stop guessing and find out what we have in the current 4. For that reason alone I'd say pass on Fleener. I think the coaches know what they have in Swaim, Jarwin and Rico now they need to find out about Shultzie. Is there room for another "find out guy:?

jday

Reaction score
Looks like he may get cut. A one year bridge as our "move" pass-catching TE?

https://www.nola.com/expo/erry-2018/05/19d9e054f59546/7_saints_players_in_jeopardy_o.html
I'm thinking the Cowboys will see what they have in training camp before adding anything else. It would not surprise me to see them stand pat. That, and I'm guessing TE usage will decrease with the new offensive scheme they are attempting to move to, which will feature more spread concepts. I'm guessing that is why they are throwing alot of new receivers at the roster.

Knotamus

Reaction score
The players we have on the roster already are worth more of a look than Fleener. Let’s give them a chance before people start hyperventilating.

bodi

Reaction score
He's a bit more of a "known commodity" than the 4 we currently have. As fans we may be underestimating the 4 we have though. With Witt's retirement it's time to stop guessing and find out what we have in the current 4. For that reason alone I'd say pass on Fleener. I think the coaches know what they have in Swaim, Jarwin and Rico now they need to find out about Shultzie. Is there room for another "find out guy:?

then we got that one as UDFA

Cowboys signed San Diego State TE David Wells.

Wells (6’6/256) was primarily a blocker for SDSU’s run-heavy offense, managing a career 38/449/11.8/6 receiving line but earning second-team All-Mountain West in each of his final two seasons based almost strictly on Wells’ ability to open holes for Donnel Pumphrey and Rashaad Penny. Wells showed potential to become something more by running 4.75 at the Combine with a 33-inch vertical and 20 reps on the bench. Wells profiles as a trusty role player with some developmental room for growth

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Glorified WR that happens to be playing TE. Not a good blocker but hey neither is Rico. May be a better option than Rico as a route runner and understand defenses and hot reads. Heck Why not bring him in? But for the right price.....provided he really gets cut.