News: Cole: Cowboys trade for Cassel

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
@Alexander @Risen Star

I don't mean to pick you guys out of a crowd, but, well, yeah I kinda do.

You two are both obviously unhappy with the Cowboys swapping late round picks in 2 years for Cassel.

If you were the GM, what would you do differently? Going back in time and signing someone previously is not an option. Time travel machines haven't been invented yet. Would you roll with Weeden and Moore? I don't mean for this post to be snarky (well like 10% snarky). I'm truly interested in your perspective, and how you, as a GM, would handle the situation.

Well after Orton turned them down?

AbeBeta

Reaction score

• Just let them stir in their rueage on draft day two and half years from now when we dont have that all vital 5th rounder

But we will have an extra 7th. Allowing us to pass twice on their pet cat of the year. So we got that to look forward to

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
New England plugged him in for Brady and made the playoffs.

I don't see why the Cowboys couldn't do the same, except for the fact he needs to learn the playbook and start working on timing with the receivers.

He better get here and get to work pronto..

Well, actually NE didn't make the playoffs. But they did go 11-5. Figure that one out

windjc

Reaction score
That right there is scary as can be and shows you a little state of panic.

LOL @ you thinking Garrett is panicking. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. The only one panicking is you. That's why you are so dang grumpy. Garrett is preaching a system and mantra he believes in and is 100% invested in. The last thing Garrett is doing is panicking. He is game planning for Atlanta.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I gave you a like. Who would you pick up off the street?

Flynn. Though it doesn't matter. They all suck. The benefit here is not losing draft capital. Cassel is garbage. Like the guys on the street.

Bonus question (only if you want to answer): What would you have done this offseason (or the offseason before even) to have a better backup than Weeden? Anyone in particular?

(Edit: fat finger on small screen create typo)

Well two years ago I would have drafted Landry Jones, who went one pick after B.W. Webb in that 4th round. But he's an unknown. I'd still take that unknown over the known suck that is Weeden. I've been barking for burning some late round picks on a QB for years now. We're in this position because we've basically been ignoring QB for years.

As for a vet, Shaun Hill would have been my guy. Matt Moore and Drew Stanton were other options. All these guys interest me more than what we have.

You aren't going to paint a picture for me where Bradon stinkin Weeden was our best option.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Good move. This guy has won games in the nfl and has performed at a high level.

I feel a lot better about the situation now.

Well, high level is relative. High level compared to other QBs available at this point, yes

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
LOL @ you thinking Garrett is panicking. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. The only one panicking is you. That's why you are so dang grumpy. Garrett is preaching a system and mantra he believes in and is 100% invested in. The last thing Garrett is doing is panicking. He is game planning for Atlanta.

Did I mention Garrett?

Alexander

Reaction score
Sure. Whatever.

He is the coach. He approved the acquisition.

I get really confused sometimes.

Sometimes it is Garrett. Then McClay. Sometimes Stephen. Then Jerry every now and then.

At any rate, my original comment about panic was about Orton.

So you are saying Garrett was the one calling him from the owner's box?

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Flynn. Though it doesn't matter. They all suck. The benefit here is not losing draft capital. Cassel is garbage. Like the guys on the street.

Well two years ago I would have drafted Landry Jones, who went one pick after B.W. Webb in that 4th round. But he's an unknown. I'd still take that unknown over the known suck that is Weeden. I've been barking for burning some late round picks on a QB for years now. We're in this position because we've basically been ignoring QB for years.

As for a vet, Shaun Hill would have been my guy. Matt Moore and Drew Stanton were other options. All these guys interest me more than what we have.

You aren't going to paint a picture for me where Bradon stinkin Weeden was our best option.

I'm no artist, just a curious passerby.

And kudos to you for giving me a well thought out response. Everyone on this board can say what they will about you; I generally really enjoy your posts and respect your football knowledge and insight. I respect people whose perspective differs from mine whenever they can explain why they feel that way reasonably.

I have zero respect for "This sucks, that sucks, team sucks, every decision is horrible, this front office is a bunch of jokes, blah blah blah..."

Typically, I come across as a homer, and that's fine. Deep down I'm fully aware of the gaffes and shortcomings of this organization, I just choose to comment and talk about things in a positive light, and pick my topics carefully.

BTW, I wouldn't mind having Landry Jones around here either.

Alexander

Reaction score
For what?

There is value in insurance. What's the value here? Suck gets hurt, more suck comes in? What does Cassel save you from exactly?

Someone saying you did not do whatever was necessary at the time.

All in.

No stone unturned.

But nevermind the indifference to the position in free agency or the draft.

Reaction. That is what this was about.