Video: Colin Cowherd reacts to Dak's contract

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A ring and 2 SB appearances with key moments put Wilson there. He’s had no line and no D for 2+ years.
D Watson is on probably the most mismanaged team in football and has still singlehandedly won games.....even when they gutted to offense around him.

What has Russ done since the Legion of Boom has been gone?
Deshaun Watson won 4 games last year. Some great wins there....That's 2 more than Dak who played 5 games lol. But let me guess...the Cowboys are managed well? You guys make excuses for everyone but your quarterback.

Trendnet

Reaction score
We got our Dak discount his first 4 years so it all evens out - no one mentions that he was on pace for nearly ~7,000 yards & ~40 TDs when he got hurt last year.

He was also on pace for 4-12, so yea.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
What has Russ done since the Legion of Boom has been gone?
Deshaun Watson won 4 games last year. Some great wins there....That's 2 more than Dak who played 5 games lol. But let me guess...the Cowboys are managed well? You guys make excuses for everyone but your quarterback.

He got a lot of money and they had to completely rebuild and he still consistently makes the playoffs.

He has carried that franchise on his shoulders since about 2017.

Plus.. He already has a Superbowl.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He got a lot of money and they had to completely rebuild and he still consistently makes the playoffs.

He has carried that franchise on his shoulders since about 2017.

Plus.. He already has a Superbowl.

And what has he won since 2017?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He was also on pace for 4-12, so yea.
What type of math are you doing to where 2-3 is on pace for 4-12? The hell?

Mind you.....Dak went 2-3 only facing the Giants. He had 5 more games with the NFC East and we know those were going to be W's.

GMO415

Reaction score
When the FO cannot tell the difference between good and great, they will continue to pay great for good. This is nothing new. It is the reason what they are what they are.

The evaluation of talent and pricing of that talent is the Achilles Heel of this franchise and I do not see that changing.
Tank
Jaylon
EzE
and counting......

kskboys

Reaction score
At some point, and I think it started with Romo, fans started to become more fans of certain players then the actual team.

You see so many people happy that Dak got paid, but there not getting a dime of that money, and all they'll get out of it is more years of failure.

Another argument I hate is the "You wouldn't take less at your job either to make the "team better". I hate that argument for a few reasons. Does my job lead to endorsement deals that also pay me millions upon millions a year? Does my job have some way to publicly recognize me as the one of the greatest ever at my job leading to more opportunities to make more millions once I retire in my late 30s?
And many many people work for less in order to do the job they want to do, or be where they want to be.

I've always thought that the people who claim that are not capable of making more and are simply wishing.

Creeper

Reaction score
First, I think Cowherd is a giant tool and he is wrong almost all the time. But I have to agree with him in this case. Dallas is paying too many players too much for what they are. Fans get too invested in the guys on their team and so does Jerry. I use Amari Cooper as an example. He is a good player. He is a good route runner, but is he a top 5 WR? No. He is just getting paid like one. I will give you another example, CeeDee Lamb. Lamb is a good receiver, but who here thinks he is ready to be a WR1? He is not. Right now he is a good slot receiver who looks a little frail and while quick, is not particularly fast. We as fans tend to favor our guys. Jerry does too. I know the reactions to my post will be somewhat harsh but they will prove my point.

Cowherds point about comparing good and great is spot on. Just because I don't believe Cooper is worth $20 million a year does not mean I don't think he is a good receiver. It just means I think that if we spent $15 million on another WR and used the $5 million savings to pay a better S for example, the TEAM may wind up better off.

Which brings us to Dak. Dak is getting more money in 4 years than Patrick Mahomes. Dak is nowhere near as good as Mahomes. Mahomes will average about $36 million over the first 4 years of his contract. Dak will average at least $40 million. Mahomes got a $10 million bonus and $63 million guaranteed and his deal is 10 years. Dak got a $66 million bonus, $126 million guaranteed and Dak will be getting a new contract from someone in 4 years. Over the same 10 years period Dak will make more than Mahomes. The argument is in 4 years Dak's contract will look like a bargain. No, Mahomes contract will look like a bargain. Dak will be getting a new contract for even more money, or maybe he grows up and realizes he'd rather have a ring.

The deal Jerry made with Dak is beyond irresponsible. It is irrational. If Dak held out for this contract then the Cowboys may be better off without him. And again, for clarity, I am a Dak fan. I think he is a very good QB who can lead this team to become a Super Bowl contender. But this contract is too much and what's worse is it means Dallas will have to do this again in 4 years. Overpaying 4 or 5 players is not a good recipe for winning a Super Bowl. To me, it is a recipe for a 8-8 or 9-7 team.

kskboys

Reaction score
First, I think Cowherd is a giant tool and he is wrong almost all the time. But I have to agree with him in this case. Dallas is paying too many players too much for what they are. Fans get too invested in the guys on their team and so does Jerry. I use Amari Cooper as an example. He is a good player. He is a good route runner, but is he a top 5 WR? No. He is just getting paid like one. I will give you another example, CeeDee Lamb. Lamb is a good receiver, but who here thinks he is ready to be a WR1? He is not. Right now he is a good slot receiver who looks a little frail and while quick, is not particularly fast. We as fans tend to favor our guys. Jerry does too. I know the reactions to my post will be somewhat harsh but they will prove my point.

Cowherds point about comparing good and great is spot on. Just because I don't believe Cooper is worth $20 million a year does not mean I don't think he is a good receiver. It just means I think that if we spent $15 million on another WR and used the $5 million savings to pay a better S for example, the TEAM may wind up better off.

Which brings us to Dak. Dak is getting more money in 4 years than Patrick Mahomes. Dak is nowhere near as good as Mahomes. Mahomes will average about $36 million over the first 4 years of his contract. Dak will average at least $40 million. Mahomes got a $10 million bonus and $63 million guaranteed and his deal is 10 years. Dak got a $66 million bonus, $126 million guaranteed and Dak will be getting a new contract from someone in 4 years. Over the same 10 years period Dak will make more than Mahomes. The argument is in 4 years Dak's contract will look like a bargain. No, Mahomes contract will look like a bargain. Dak will be getting a new contract for even more money, or maybe he grows up and realizes he'd rather have a ring.

The deal Jerry made with Dak is beyond irresponsible. It is irrational. If Dak held out for this contract then the Cowboys may be better off without him. And again, for clarity, I am a Dak fan. I think he is a very good QB who can lead this team to become a Super Bowl contender. But this contract is too much and what's worse is it means Dallas will have to do this again in 4 years. Overpaying 4 or 5 players is not a good recipe for winning a Super Bowl. To me, it is a recipe for a 8-8 or 9-7 team.
Very well stated.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He started 1-3, which is on pace for 4-12. I'm not sure where you are getting lost.
dk.png

dckid

Reaction score
Why can’t the Dak heads see this simple fact.
Exactly!!!
Dak is a system QB plain and simple. There is nothing wrong with that. It is not a bad thing. It isn't a 40 million dollar a year thing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Just watch the Seattle game that replayed on NFL network the other day. Dak's looking great until their last drive. He gets down to the 25 yard line, 4 minutes left and lofts 3 straight crap passes into the endzone. One a throw away, one a couple feet out of bounds. Settles for the field goal. Wilson goes down the field, scores a TD and wins the game. That's why he's great. That happens so many times with Dak. Great numbers and they lose a close game. He needs to take that next step. At the very least, change the play, bleed the clock more, manage the game better when you know your defense sucks. Not that it ultimately mattered, but Seattle could have started their drive with just over 2 minutes instead of 4.
Which Seahawks game are you referencing?