Twitter: Colin: Gap between Dak and Dalton is not massive

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I didn’t scream anything about not wanting Dak.
I want him for a reasonable cost.
And I want the cap space as well but it’s gone if they sign Dak.
no its not...maybe in 2021...given that EVERY team has to deal with the same lower cap space. in 2022 it will go back to what was the annual projection and same with 2023 and will jump significantly in 2024 after TV contracts..

Dak's asking price based on rumors and articles and write ups last summer was about 35/year, along the same lines of all the other QBs who signed prior to his signing. with actually one huge difference, they all signed prior to their contracts ending....in fact making it getting ton of money in advance.....

and you can not build a team through signing FAs....good ones don't hit the market. or you have to trade for them (ala cooper). most in FA that their teams decide not sign them are garbage, older, injured, head cases. or they will be super expensive.....

its just not reality that you keep mentioning....

USArmyVet

Reaction score
no its not...maybe in 2021...given that EVERY team has to deal with the same lower cap space. in 2022 it will go back to what was the annual projection and same with 2023 and will jump significantly in 2024 after TV contracts..

Dak's asking price based on rumors and articles and write ups last summer was about 35/year, along the same lines of all the other QBs who signed prior to his signing. with actually one huge difference, they all signed prior to their contracts ending....in fact making it getting ton of money in advance.....

and you can not build a team through signing FAs....good ones don't hit the market. or you have to trade for them (ala cooper). most in FA that their teams decide not sign them are garbage, older, injured, head cases. or they will be super expensive.....

its just not reality that you keep mentioning....

Can you guarantee that the cap goes back up after 2021? No, you can't so given the state of the Dallas franchise dedicated high dollars ($100M+) is not a wise move even if it is for a QB. This team needs a major rebuilding year or two and needs to start making the tough decisions by ridding itself of overpaid, underperforming players or players that can get back decent draft picks: Prescott, Zeke, Lawrence, J. Smith, et all.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Dalton made more for this season to be a back-up than Dak made for 4 seasons to be our starter. Let that wash over you while you contemplate how much Dak should get in his next contract.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Can you guarantee that the cap goes back up after 2021? No, you can't so given the state of the Dallas franchise dedicated high dollars ($100M+) is not a wise move even if it is for a QB. This team needs a major rebuilding year or two and needs to start making the tough decisions by ridding itself of overpaid, underperforming players or players that can get back decent draft picks: Prescott, Zeke, Lawrence, J. Smith, et all.
yes, I will guarantee .....I will bet on it what ever amount you are willing to put down. I will put up my house against yours...ready to make a deal?

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Dalton made more for this season to be a back-up than Dak made for 4 seasons to be our starter. Let that wash over you while you contemplate how much Dak should get in his next contract.

You do realize that Dak was given $31M this season to play 4-1/2 games, right?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Can you be any more of a drama queen? Besides, I already have a dog house but thanks for the offer.
oh, I see you have no ball my son....you talk big when nothing is on the line, now you resort to insults....like I said...put your money down or shut your yap..and if you think my house is a dog house, how about we put some real money down? wipe that lip stick off and grow some balls Army cook

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Franchise him again. Maybe the Jets want him. I'll take the 2nd overall pick and Q. Williams for Dak and our 3rd, 4 and 5th.

Take Sewell with the 2nd and hope Zach Wilson is sitting there at 10.

O-line and QB settled for the future. Totally talented young offensive players around the rookie.

D-line would be settled for 2 seasons minimal.

Cap space all in tact. 2nd rounder on LB, Safety or CB.

FA 2 good defensive players and young.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How has that worked out? Have we been "rolling" since they got drafted? Serious question...
The Cowboys were 13-3 in Dak and Zeke's rookie season, and that was essentially conceding a loss to Philly in the last game while they rested players. That's a pretty good roll.

But sure, the team has fallen short of where it, and we, want it to be. Dak and Zeke have to take some of the heat for that, but it's on a lot more than just those two.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Franchise him again. Maybe the Jets want him. I'll take the 2nd overall pick and Q. Williams for Dak and our 3rd, 4 and 5th.

Take Sewell with the 2nd and hope Zach Wilson is sitting there at 10.

O-line and QB settled for the future. Totally talented young offensive players around the rookie.

D-line would be settled for 2 seasons minimal.

Cap space all in tact. 2nd rounder on LB, Safety or CB.

FA 2 good defensive players and young.
:facepalm:

so Jets give up 2nd over all pick for a QB that you think is bad....if Dak is worth a 2nd over all pick, wouldn't it be better to keep him?

this was by far one of the stupidest posts on this subject.

and let me ask you....are you willing to gaurantee zach wilson is going to be a top 10 QB in the NFL?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You do realize that Dak was given $31M this season to play 4-1/2 games, right?
Neither one of these facts is relevant to the contract negotiation with Dak, which is about how the Cowboys see his value going forward, not what Dak got paid after signing as a 4th round rookie, or what he got paid in 2020 after an unforeseen injury.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
:facepalm:

so Jets give up 2nd over all pick for a QB that you think is bad....if Dak is worth a 2nd over all pick, wouldn't it be better to keep him?

this was by far one of the stupidest posts on this subject.

and let me ask you....are you willing to gaurantee zach wilson is going to be a top 10 QB in the NFL?

Lmao! I think Dak is a very good QB for 1 and that is why he is worth a 2nd overall pick at least. If Lawrence was not there, it would be no question who teams would take #1 overall.

There are 20 plus teams that would take Dak with a top 5 pick in this league if they fell into that draft category.

You did not read the details of my post well.

It's about the cap and what Dak and his agent want for Dak incentive wise as much as any variable in this whole equation that has gone on for years now.

You're looking at a QB that wants and can warrant $40+ million per year on the open market probably.

I'm not saying get rid of him. I'm saying Dak and everyone else involved may not be able to get a deal done to make him happy so we need to get something for him and find a viable trade partner that he would want to go to and that is willing to pay him.

As of now we do not own Dak to get rid of him anyways. We can franchise tag him but you're looking at $40 + million now for the 2nd tag. So you do it and work on a trade partner if he won't do a deal. This is factually the only leverage we now have in negotiating with Dak and his representation. Dak can just about leave on his own and we get nothing if that happens. There's a detail for you.

He would also want to be in a big market for endorsements and yes state tax is included. Big markets need big name players.

So there you go about stupid posts. Football is a business and deals are involved. Market value and leverage is everything.

Another thing, I said hope Zach Wilson is there at 10. Not guarantee.

You're welcome.

P.S - I'm pretty sure you're responding post is the most stupid post in this thread. Happy New Year!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lmao! I think Dak is a very good QB for 1 and that is why he is worth a 2nd overall pick at least. If Lawrence was not there, it would be no question who teams would take #1 overall.

There are 20 plus teams that would take Dak with a top 5 pick in this league if they fell into that draft category.

You did not read the details of my post well.

It's about the cap and what Dak and his agent want for Dak incentive wise as much as any variable in this whole equation that has gone on for years now.

You're looking at a QB that wants and can warrant $40+ million per year on the open market probably.

I'm not saying get rid of him. I'm saying Dak and everyone else involved may not be able to get a deal done to make him happy so we need to get something for him and find a viable trade partner that he would want to go to and that is willing to pay him.

As of now we do not own Dak to get rid of him anyways. We can franchise tag him but you're looking at $40 + million now for the 2nd tag. So you do it and work on a trade partner if he won't do a deal. This is factually the only leverage we now have in negotiating with Dak and his representation. Dak can just about leave on his own and we get nothing if that happens. There's a detail for you.

He would also want to be in a big market for endorsements and yes state tax is included. Big markets need big name players.

So there you go about stupid posts. Football is a business and deals are involved. Market value and leverage is everything.

Another thing, I said hope Zach Wilson is there at 10. Not guarantee.

You're welcome.

P.S - I'm pretty sure you're responding post is the most stupid post in this thread. Happy New Year!

again, my point. if you already have a QB that's top 5 and NFL proven, why go back to the drawing board? you like to gamble? you like the thrill of the unknown? you like uncertainty?

and if he is a top 5 QB, a franchise type QB, then why isn't he worth the money?

and the notion that average 40M (which last year was 35M), but now 40M (whatever) is going to stop us from what? signing anyone? we have 7 of the highest paid position players on the team. more than any other team and that with Dak at 32M on the books this year....

but I find it funny, that we are willing to go back to the drawing board. gambling on finding a QB, which fails more often than not, because if Dak was at 34M people don't mind, but at 40M (if that's market value) heck no, I must go back to the drawing board...is 6M going to be the difference between a championship team and not a championship team? is 10M going to be that difference?

market value and leverage and Dak has both.

I am not sold on Zach Wilson. nothing says that Zach Wilson is the "it" at QB for the draft. ther is a bigger chance for him to be a bust than success...ala Darnold, Mayfield, Josh Rosen.

happy new year and you are welcome...

AKATheRake

Reaction score
again, my point. if you already have a QB that's top 5 and NFL proven, why go back to the drawing board? you like to gamble? you like the thrill of the unknown? you like uncertainty?

and if he is a top 5 QB, a franchise type QB, then why isn't he worth the money?

and the notion that average 40M (which last year was 35M), but now 40M (whatever) is going to stop us from what? signing anyone? we have 7 of the highest paid position players on the team. more than any other team and that with Dak at 32M on the books this year....

but I find it funny, that we are willing to go back to the drawing board. gambling on finding a QB, which fails more often than not, because if Dak was at 34M people don't mind, but at 40M (if that's market value) heck no, I must go back to the drawing board...is 6M going to be the difference between a championship team and not a championship team? is 10M going to be that difference?

market value and leverage and Dak has both.

I am not sold on Zach Wilson. nothing says that Zach Wilson is the "it" at QB for the draft. ther is a bigger chance for him to be a bust than success...ala Darnold, Mayfield, Josh Rosen.

happy new year and you are welcome...

BECAUSE HE MAY BELIEVE HE CAN GET MORE ELSEWHERE & IS NOT AS HAPPY AS HE LET'S ON. HIS AGENT TALKS TO THE WHOLE LEAGUE!!!!!! KNOWS THE MARKET!!!!! THAT'S HIS JOB!

WE CAN'T HOLD ONTO HIM OTHER THAN A 2ND FRANCHISE TAG & LOOK WHAT HAPPENED WITH LAWRENCE WHEN WE DID THAT!!!!!

IMAGINE A QB!!!!!!! WE HAD OUR CHANCE 2 YEARS AGO!!!! WE SIGNED ZEKE INSTEAD!!!!!!!! TODD FRANCE IS THE 2ND MOST POWERFUL AGENT IN THE NFL!!!!!!!!

THIS IS A BUSINESS!!!!!!!!

EVEN JERRY SAYS DAK HAS ALL THE LEVERAGE!!!!!!!!!

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ZACH WILSON!!!!!!!!!

EVERYTHING TO DO WITH DAK HAVING ALL THE LEVERAGE!!!!!!

IF WE DON"T GIVE HIM EVERYTHING HE CAN GET ELSEWHERE HE WON"T SIGN!!!!!!!!

THEN THE ONLY WAY TO KEEP HIM 1 YEAR, A PISSED OFF TEAM CAPTAIN IS TO TAG HIM AGAIN & HE KILLS YOUR CAP AND MAKES EVEN MORE THE 1 YEAR ANYWAYS!!!

SO IF WE CAN'T MAKE A DEAL GET SOMETHING FOR HIM!!!!!!!

WE DID'NT SIGN THE GUY WHEN WE SHOULD HAVE & MAY NOT BE ABLE TO BEYOND CAP REASON'S!!!!!!!!

THAT"S ALL!!!!!!!!!

csirl

Reaction score

One of the keys to success in the NFL is paying players what they are worth today (or less if you can get away with it). Giving a player more now because they were underpaid in the past is a recipe for losing. You cant be sentimental with a salary cap.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
BECAUSE HE MAY BELIEVE HE CAN GET MORE ELSEWHERE & IS NOT AS HAPPY AS HE LET'S ON. HIS AGENT TALKS TO THE WHOLE LEAGUE!!!!!! KNOWS THE MARKET!!!!! THAT'S HIS JOB!

WE CAN'T HOLD ONTO HIM OTHER THAN A 2ND FRANCHISE TAG & LOOK WHAT HAPPENED WITH LAWRENCE WHEN WE DID THAT!!!!!

IMAGINE A QB!!!!!!! WE HAD OUR CHANCE 2 YEARS AGO!!!! WE SIGNED ZEKE INSTEAD!!!!!!!! TODD FRANCE IS THE 2ND MOST POWERFUL AGENT IN THE NFL!!!!!!!!

THIS IS A BUSINESS!!!!!!!!

EVEN JERRY SAYS DAK HAS ALL THE LEVERAGE!!!!!!!!!

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ZACH WILSON!!!!!!!!!

EVERYTHING TO DO WITH DAK HAVING ALL THE LEVERAGE!!!!!!

IF WE DON"T GIVE HIM EVERYTHING HE CAN GET ELSEWHERE HE WON"T SIGN!!!!!!!!

THEN THE ONLY WAY TO KEEP HIM 1 YEAR, A PISSED OFF TEAM CAPTAIN IS TO TAG HIM AGAIN & HE KILLS YOUR CAP AND MAKES EVEN MORE THE 1 YEAR ANYWAYS!!!

SO IF WE CAN'T MAKE A DEAL GET SOMETHING FOR HIM!!!!!!!

WE DID'NT SIGN THE GUY WHEN WE SHOULD HAVE & MAY NOT BE ABLE TO BEYOND CAP REASON'S!!!!!!!!

THAT"S ALL!!!!!!!!!
why are you screaming....didn't mean to make you mad. relax. breath. sit. close your eyes for a couple of minutes...

Dak said he wants to be with Dallas. in fact he wanted to sign the contract that was there, before the deadline... he has said he is happy. he wants to be back...but are you saying he is lying?

we can give him a contract, 3, 4 or 5 years....terms to be worked out.

Lawrence didn't deserve a contract. neither did Jaylon. neither did Zeke with two years left on his contract. separate issues with Jerry.

btw, I maybe supportive of signign Dak now. but 2 years ago I was opposed to it. I had concerns. I wanted to wait, see him another year. see him improve. I even said, its better to wait and slightly over pay for a proven QB, than pay a smaller contract and the QB fails. the impact would be worse....so now, I am ok with paying dak, market value is great....the market is what the market is as you said.

and the business side has nothing to do with the football side. you want a team that has the best chance to win. once contracts are done, its all about the team you field given parameters of a cap...to even the playing field.

he can get franchised a second time.....gives both sides another year to negotiate...that's always an option.

and he didn't seem pissed off when he was franchised. he played his heart out....its you who seems to be pissed off. apparantley Dak can separate the business side from playing side. you are trying to mix the two and seemingly quite emotional about it.

I am confident a deal will get done.... otherwise, if Dak is gone, then we need to trade all our other assets, tank. start over....without a QB, your chances of success diminish, so until you find your QB, no sense in wasting time with Cooper, Gallup and the few years with CD.....

AKATheRake

Reaction score
why are you screaming....didn't mean to make you mad. relax. breath. sit. close your eyes for a couple of minutes...

Dak said he wants to be with Dallas. in fact he wanted to sign the contract that was there, before the deadline... he has said he is happy. he wants to be back...but are you saying he is lying?

we can give him a contract, 3, 4 or 5 years....terms to be worked out.

Lawrence didn't deserve a contract. neither did Jaylon. neither did Zeke with two years left on his contract. separate issues with Jerry.

btw, I maybe supportive of signign Dak now. but 2 years ago I was opposed to it. I had concerns. I wanted to wait, see him another year. see him improve. I even said, its better to wait and slightly over pay for a proven QB, than pay a smaller contract and the QB fails. the impact would be worse....so now, I am ok with paying dak, market value is great....the market is what the market is as you said.

and the business side has nothing to do with the football side. you want a team that has the best chance to win. once contracts are done, its all about the team you field given parameters of a cap...to even the playing field.

he can get franchised a second time.....gives both sides another year to negotiate...that's always an option.

and he didn't seem pissed off when he was franchised. he played his heart out....its you who seems to be pissed off. apparantley Dak can separate the business side from playing side. you are trying to mix the two and seemingly quite emotional about it.

I am confident a deal will get done.... otherwise, if Dak is gone, then we need to trade all our other assets, tank. start over....without a QB, your chances of success diminish, so until you find your QB, no sense in wasting time with Cooper, Gallup and the few years with CD.....

Lol! Let me know when Dak Prescott actually signs a long term deal with the Dallas Cowboys and then the possibility of a draft pick trade can factually be off the table and not be remarked as a stupid possibility.

Enjoy the forum.