Twitter: Colin - Hard to evaluate Dak

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Romo was nothing special but he was a far better QB than Dak will ever be.
How can you possibly make a statement like that. Prescott’s career is just beginning. You don’t see a Super Bowl in our future with him. All of that not even make him better than Romo

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you see the statistics Mahomes versus Prescott last season. Almost identical. And we had Jason Garrett and far less of a defense and zero special teams. In fact Prescott has more touchdowns career than Mahomes. So yeah I like him better Character and everything
Best case for never letting stats do your thinking for you because if anyone here would take Prescott over Mahomes after watching them play, we may need to get them an eye exam.

Swagger

Reaction score
You had closure on Romo he didn't slide in a preseason game. That's it. His body gave up on him. This team was rolling with him on the bench. It became prescott's team. The playoffs wouldn't be any different because Dak's game in 2016 was better than anything romo has ever done in the playoffs. Even though our defense gave up the game. Get over it. Slobbering over a QB who couldn't stay healthy and wasn't a winner is unhealthy. And if you are one of those fans that became a cowboys fan because of Romo I feel really bad for you.

The 2016 play off game against the Packers was partly lost due to the defense (mainly in the first half) and the inept performance of the offense during the first quarter and half of the second quarter when it was imperative that the offense kept us in the game. The Green Bay secondary was woeful, absolutely horrific and got put to the sword a week later when exposed by Matt Ryan throughout the game not just in the second half after the damage had been done.

To claim that the 2016 play offs wouldn't have been any different regardless if Romo had started misses the point. A rookie QB coached by Garrett or an offense led by Romo who by that point was changing plays and if necessary, calling his own plays at the line of scrimmage. Given that the latter is now paid $17 million a season to describe a game including how to read a defense then I'm rolling with that guy. Further, for all the people blaming coaching as the main reason for Prescott's results including only winning 8 games last season in what was an awful division and at least an 11-5 roster, then that's even more reason why Romo should have come back in. He would have effectively taken the coaching of Garrett out of the equation by just being on the field like in 2014.

A QB described as a winner with one play off win over four seasons playing in an elite offense and good/average defense backed up by a front office that has drafted well and managed the roster very efficiently. Wow you are easily pleased!

Your love for Prescott is rubbed off from your hatred towards Romo. Sad really.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm talking about football fans in general and the talking heads. How can you not have an opinion on other teams players? Any evaluation of a player on your team is in comparison to players on other teams in the league that play that position.

Your not talking about other teams players, in terms of playing. Your talking about other teams contracts, which is an entirely different discussion, if I'm not mistaken. I don't even like having to talk about our teams players contracts. Why in hell would I want to talk about other teams player contracts? Who would?

Your idea of how it works does not match up with mine. I don't judge players on how other teams pay there players. I judge players on who well they work on our team. I believe it to be foolish to look at a situation and base what we should play a position player, based on what other teams do. All teams are different. Some teams focus on certain parts of the game to be successful. If you are a throw first team, outscore you offense, then maybe you pay a really good QB more then others might because that's the key to winning for you. If you are a Defensive team that plays TOP and field position to win, maybe you sign a really, really good kicker and pay him more then other teams might because he's going to be a big part of winning and losing games for you. It's not the same for every team and treating your salary cap as if it were is insane IMO.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Regardless of your feelings toward Cowherd, there shouldn't be any disagreement that Dak is hard to evaluate.
This board of die hard fans is very divided on him.
Every video i have seen where someone breaks down film, leaves them saying "I just don't know". They all admit that the good & the bad of his game are maddening to analyze and that he has been surrounded by a lot of favorable conditions.
Yep, couldn't agree more and for me it's because I will see him make a throw dead on in a difficult situation and then miss a simple throw that's QB 101. The consistent accuracy has never been there and I watched him his last two seasons at Miss St and it was the same thing. It was the reason he was the 7th QB taken in that draft. But that doesn't mean he can't lead his team to a SB but consistently contend? Not so sure about that.

The most impressive element to Prescott's passing to me is the lack of turnovers. When he misses, he doesn't miss badly like a lot of QB's. Once he got a little better on his ball protection in the pocket with regards to fumbling, he's a good QB when it comes to not creating negative plays.

We debate the guy like there is a choice, he is the QB, whether some like it or not. Want to feel better about him, take a look at that rogue's gallery after Aikman. Anyone here want these people picking QB's? I don't think we spend enough time appreciating what we do have at QB.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm thinking Colin is correct in saying it's tough to evaluate Dak at this point in time!

It does seem to be the underlying cause of these negotiations being at an impasse.

Last edited:

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Best case for never letting stats do your thinking for you because if anyone here would take Prescott over Mahomes after watching them play, we may need to get them an eye exam.

Yeah, I can't say I've heard a more ridiculous attempt to defend Dak and put him on a pedestal he doesn't belong on. And there have been a ton of ridiculous excuses.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Did you watch the Super Bowl my cowboy brother. I’ve never seen Prescott play that bad . And I agree with you about statistics. I use them because someone told me Prescott we’re nowhere near Mahomes. That was the point of that

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah, I can't say I've heard a more ridiculous attempt to defend Dak and put him on a pedestal he doesn't belong on. And there have been a ton of ridiculous excuses.
Tell me you thought Mahomes was great in last year’s playoffs

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Did you watch the Super Bowl my cowboy brother. I’ve never seen Prescott play that bad . And I agree with you about statistics. I use them because someone told me Prescott we’re nowhere near Mahomes. That was the point of that
Tell me you thought Mahomes was great in last year’s playoffs

'Cause Dak performed really well in the playoffs and super bowl last season.

Oh wait........

At least Mahomes made it that far, much farther than your hero.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm thinking Colin is correct in saying it's tough to evaluate Dak at this point in time!

It does seem to be the underlying cause of these negotiations being at an impasse.
According to the leaks, it's about the Cowboys wanting a longer term deal than Prescott so they seem to want him more than he wants them, especially in the long term.

He said coming in that being the DC QB was a lifelong dream of his but now he has realized that dream. They all know the likelihood of remaining with one team for their entire career.

The other thing we do not know is how does he truly feel about the organization? If he were a QB for any other team in the league, there would not be this level of coverage and there have been some leaks, by design, that have been made to look him look greedy. Has anyone considered that his reluctance to anything beyond 4 years might not be only money related.

Consider this. What if Prescott sees the future of the team when Booger is gone and doesn't like what he sees? Booger will be 81 or 82 when this 4 year deal is up. Maybe Prescott wants options and tagging a QB in 2024 is going to be prohibitive?

One thing we do know. A lot of players come into the league with favored teams they'd like to play for but once they're in for a couple of years, it's all about who will pay the most guaranteed money.

I do believe Prescott is a top 10 QB right now but in 4 years? The competition seems to be heating up as evidenced by the poor FA market for QB's this off season.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
'Cause Dak performed really well in the playoffs and super bowl last season.

Oh wait........

At least Mahomes made it that far, much farther than your hero.
No you’re talking about a team effort. You still didn’t answer the question. How well do you think he played . Hero don’t put words in my mouth. You don’t have no idea what I consider a hero

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
According to the leaks, it's about the Cowboys wanting a longer term deal than Prescott so they seem to want him more than he wants them, especially in the long term.

He said coming in that being the DC QB was a lifelong dream of his but now he has realized that dream. They all know the likelihood of remaining with one team for their entire career.

The other thing we do not know is how does he truly feel about the organization? If he were a QB for any other team in the league, there would not be this level of coverage and there have been some leaks, by design, that have been made to look him look greedy. Has anyone considered that his reluctance to anything beyond 4 years might not be only money related.

Consider this. What if Prescott sees the future of the team when Booger is gone and doesn't like what he sees? Booger will be 81 or 82 when this 4 year deal is up. Maybe Prescott wants options and tagging a QB in 2024 is going to be prohibitive?

One thing we do know. A lot of players come into the league with favored teams they'd like to play for but once they're in for a couple of years, it's all about who will pay the most guaranteed money.

I do believe Prescott is a top 10 QB right now but in 4 years? The competition seems to be heating up as evidenced by the poor FA market for QB's this off season.
I think Prescott can repeat his rookie season. Especially with McCarthy. We had zero special teams last year. Started almost every drive well we talked about this. LOL I just don’t think he’s a scrub that people trying to make him out to be. I don’t think Mahomes is the hero people are trying to make him out to be. There’s a balance between the two obviously

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The 2016 play off game against the Packers was partly lost due to the defense (mainly in the first half) and the inept performance of the offense during the first quarter and half of the second quarter when it was imperative that the offense kept us in the game. The Green Bay secondary was woeful, absolutely horrific and got put to the sword a week later when exposed by Matt Ryan throughout the game not just in the second half after the damage had been done.

To claim that the 2016 play offs wouldn't have been any different regardless if Romo had started misses the point. A rookie QB coached by Garrett or an offense led by Romo who by that point was changing plays and if necessary, calling his own plays at the line of scrimmage. Given that the latter is now paid $17 million a season to describe a game including how to read a defense then I'm rolling with that guy. Further, for all the people blaming coaching as the main reason for Prescott's results including only winning 8 games last season in what was an awful division and at least an 11-5 roster, then that's even more reason why Romo should have come back in. He would have effectively taken the coaching of Garrett out of the equation by just being on the field like in 2014.

A QB described as a winner with one play off win over four seasons playing in an elite offense and good/average defense backed up by a front office that has drafted well and managed the roster very efficiently. Wow you are easily pleased!

Your love for Prescott is rubbed off from your hatred towards Romo. Sad really.
You mean a below average defense with a terrible special teams unit and bad coaching. I don't "hate" romo. He was just unreliable. And Dak had 300 passing yards in 2016 romo never had 300 yards in a playoff game. What would he have done differently? romo had plenty of opportunities with more talent and never succeeded. Would he have made the refs not call the "huddle" call on us. Have the refs throw the flag when witten got tackled in the endzone? Like I said the people that love romo probably became fans of the team because of him and it's actually really sad that that's the guy you love. The rest of us have real champions and better players that we rallied behind cheering for this team.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You mean a below average defense with a terrible special teams unit and bad coaching. I don't "hate" romo. He was just unreliable. And Dak had 300 passing yards in 2016 romo never had 300 yards in a playoff game. What would he have done differently? romo and plenty of opportunities with more talent and never succeeded. Would he have made the refs not call the "huddle" call on us. Have the refs throw the flag when witten got tackled in the endzone? Like I said the people that love romo probably became fans of the team because of him and it's actually really sad that that's the guy you love. The rest of us have real champions and better players that we rallied behind cheering for this team.
People forget so fast. It was Dak Prescott who threw Jason Witten and Bryant there first ever playoff touchdown catches

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
People forget so fast. It was Dak Prescott who threw Jason Witten and Bryant there first ever playoff touchdown catches
It just makes me laugh when I think of romo fans. I think of suburb kids with the #9 jersey with their hats cocked to the side. I never owned a Romo jersey it was never even a thought.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It just makes me laugh when I think of romo fans. I think of suburb kids with the #9 jersey with their hats cocked to the side. I never owned a Romo jersey it was never even a thought.
I have the starting offense of the 92 cowboy season. 6 x 9 autographed photographs in my gym. Roger Staubach Deion sanders. Woodson. I’m thinking of getting Jason Witten. Nope no consideration for getting romo . In fact if you look at my avatar you can see three of them hanging up high

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I have the starting offense of the 92 cowboy season. 6 x 9 autographed photographs in my gym. Roger Staubach Deion sanders. Woodson. I’m thinking of getting Jason Witten. Nope no consideration for getting romo . In fact if you look at my avatar you can see three of them hanging up high
Yessir!!!!