Colin:Will Cowboys use 1st pick to replace Dak?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah sure, take the risk when we already have a franchise option. And continue to ignore the interior defensive line for another 20+ years.

uvaballa

Reaction score
If there is a top defensive player they better take him. No QB is going to make the D better. I’d keep Dak. Then cut Zeke and Jalen the following year to save some money.

dckid

Reaction score
I'm 54 years old and have lived a full, but tough life. I'm too damn old to rebuild. Screw you young pups that have plenty of years to wait....
What are you talking about? We have been rebuilding since 1994 but just didn't know it. If Jerry every got any common sense we would have been to a couple of SB's by now.
If we don't rebuild now you will be waiting another 25 years... By the way a rebuild is not what it used to be. Rams went from Zero to SB in two years. Niners went from bad to good very quickly also.

leeblair

Reaction score
I'm 54 years old and have lived a full, but tough life. I'm too damn old to rebuild. Screw you young pups that have plenty of years to wait....
We're the same age, and we've both seen better from the Cowboys.
We've also seen the attitude problem and the poisonous culture that Dak was brought in under, and it has affected his game.
The guy is a great athlete- I mean that- and I like him.
But he's just not a top quarterback.
He'll play great when things are going his way, but when things get tough, he chokes every time.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, if Fields is on the board & they’re smart - they should be able to get at least 2 first rounders and a 2nd or 3rd for him. Usually bad teams that need a QB make those trades so it’ll behoove us to get as much as we can for an unproven QB. We have a proven QB & if you don’t realize that by now idk what to tell ya.

proven QB.......and yet we were 1-3 when he got injured and coming off an 8-8 campaign. The measure of a QB is wins not stats.........or Romo would be a first ballot HOFer.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
It would be the most foolish pick in franchise history.

You have a proven, bonafide QB on the roster already. I was down on him previously but I cannot ignore his importance to the team.

If we are in a position to draft Fields or even Lawrence, we shoudl trade down for a huge boatload of picks and try to build a contender the same way as Jimmy. I think Dak's price has remained the same...it went down because of the injury but then back up when we all witnessed how awful the team is without him.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Depending where we end up and it does look like top 5 or at least top 10, I just see them going on the D line unless Sewell the OT is there then I could see offense. They aren't going to let Dak just walk and hope (because I don't care what any one says, a rookie QB is always a crap shoot) a rookie can lead them. Also Jerry doesn't want to wait for a chance at a playoff/Super Bowl and whether the Dak haters agree or not, Dak gives us the best chance.

Also the Jets best chance at a win is this week against New England and Jacksonville has to be underdogs in the rest of their games, so there is your 1st and 2nd picks or Mitch and Justin no matter how you look at it. And Atlanta and Dallas both have possibly one or two wins left in them and if we are tied then they draft before us because of head to head. Anyone think Atlanta will pass on a QB, not me. Then there is Washington who is doing their best to tank and definitely need a QB.

For those thinking we take a QB, well could happen, but more likely is we go CB or DE or OT unless we trade down and that is a real possibility.

Sorry just trying to keep it real.
Dak haters lol. He hasn't lead us close to the Super Bowl so outside of you sniffing on that hopium there is no clue of this best chance you dream of. Matter of fact outside of one outlier season he's been more of a Garrett type QB record wise hovering between 8-8/10-6. You're not keeping it real you're keeping it pro Dak. If we get a top 1/2 pick its a decent chance we take a QB with Dak not being signed esp if we get the top pick somehow.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It would be the most foolish pick in franchise history.

You have a proven, bonafide QB on the roster already. I was down on him previously but I cannot ignore his importance to the team.

If we are in a position to draft Fields or even Lawrence, we shoudl trade down for a huge boatload of picks and try to build a contender the same way as Jimmy. I think Dak's price has remained the same...it went down because of the injury but then back up when we all witnessed how awful the team is without him.

Valid point, but there are a couple of issues to consider before just dismissing the Lawrence/Fields/Lance pick.

1) Has Dak signed long term.
2) If Dak insists on 3 years are we able to compete in those years? - taking into account the poor Cap situation which could/will only get worse as restructure bad contracts to scrape together for money to pay for the Poe, Clinton-Dix type FA's.
3) If Dak will only sign 3 years, what do we do in the 4th year?....our CAP in that year will again be an issue (due to restructuring mentioned above) and we wont have a top draft pick to seek his replacement.

phildadon86

Reaction score
If you like Dak you should like Fields.

Fields is Dak with a little more upside.

I'm not a fan so far. I could change my mind but i'm not there yet.

I'm not calling him a bust. I just see a guy that has a ceiling of being a really solid QB.
Considering your opinion on Dalton you your opinion on anything Quarterback should be taken out with the trash.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Cowboys need to draft a QB like they needed to draft a WR. The Cowboys have the worst defense in Dallas Cowboys History (a former expansion team), and have broken NFL records for poor defensive performance.

Cowboys need to sign the QB they have, and draft DL, OL, DL, CB, LB, S, DL, CB, and rinse and repeat it for the next 4 years.

Anybody who is saying to draft Trevor Lawrence versus signing your 3 time Pro Bowl, 2 time Division winning, former NFL rookie of the year with a 13 win season, who has never had a losing season in the NFL, college, high school, and Jr. High School, and was leading passer in the NFL is just asinine and dumb as Jerry Dumbo GM Jones. QB is the most important position on a football team. When you have a winner and a leader at QB, you don't Jerry ball at football team like Jerry Dumbo GM Jones by franchise tagging a franchise QB.

Go watch your Trevor Lawrence vs. LSU and watch Dak Prescott vs. LSU for a comparison. Lawrence is not a sure upgrade and he is not definitely not John Elway or Andrew Luck. Who was the best QB on the field when Lawrence went up against Burrow? Who is Trevor Lawrence going to tackle?

You guys are comical.
Why don't we watch Trevor Lawrence against Alabama and Dak against Alabama? You Dak stans are so silly it isn't even funny. Using one random game to decide something. Using your silly logic guess Lawrence should also be a 4th rd QB like. Dak? Stay off the sauce with your one hit wonder QB. He hasn't been close to that 13-3 since. Tired if you Al Bundy types bringing up that season from years ago. Record wise hasn't been close to that since smh.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Here's a funny thing, not ha ha funny, that all those who keep bringing up the 40 mil or more have never sat in on any of the negotiations so only continue to repeat what sportswriter have SPECULATED what the amount is. Oh wait, back on July 15th in the final hour or so to negotiate a contract with a player that was tagged Prescott himself was negotiating and they agreed on 35 mil but couldn't get the guaranteed amount settled before the time ran out.
Look at this person claim nobody has sat in on negotiations but then themselves mention something that nobody would know for sure unless they were sitting in on the negotiations themselves. The cognitive dissonance with this one strong lol. Smoking on that Dakium must do things to users posting logic lol.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Valid point, but there are a couple of issues to consider before just dismissing the Lawrence/Fields/Lance pick.

1) Has Dak signed long term.
2) If Dak insists on 3 years are we able to compete in those years? - taking into account the poor Cap situation which could/will only get worse as restructure bad contracts to scrape together for money to pay for the Poe, Clinton-Dix type FA's.
3) If Dak will only sign 3 years, what do we do in the 4th year?....our CAP in that year will again be an issue (due to restructuring mentioned above) and we wont have a top draft pick to seek his replacement.

Even if a deal can't be made with Dak, I just feel the upside of aquiring talent all over the team outweighs either Lawrence or Fields. There are other QBs out there and if we actually have a complete team, we don't need to pour a bunch of money into the QB position.

What good is having one of these guys if we don't improve significantly on the OL and defense?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Considering your opinion on Dalton you your opinion on anything Quarterback should be taken out with the trash.

Yes let's discredit all the calls i've made right over the years because Dalton sucks behind a terrible Oline.

What a standard you hold me to. Perfection.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Same standard you held Dak to.
How does this logic work on non Dak "haters". Its a lot of silly logic being used by alleged adults in these threads. Does Dak pay y'all? Hell have y'all even at least shook that mans hand or something?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Look at this person claim nobody has sat in on negotiations but then themselves mention something that nobody would know for sure unless they were sitting in on the negotiations themselves. The cognitive dissonance with this one strong lol. Smoking on that Dakium must do things to users posting logic lol.

Except Prescott doing his own negotiating in the final hour and the amount per year actually was reported when Stephen told a reporter that. But bad try though.