Colts' LB Darius (Shaq) Leonard released

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Derrick Henry is fast though lol. How many people run him down that aren't cornerbacks?
Zeke was running around him their last game like he was, literally an orange traffic cone, it was sad to see........
It was very Jaylon Smith-like

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
First you said they were the best roster in the league that's the point I was refuting....top 3? Probably. They are tops at a lot of positions for sure.
I said "probably the best roster" not "definitely the best roster". But they DEFINITELY have a top 3 roster or they wouldn't be 25-2 over their last 27 games with Hurts, 13-0 against the last 13 winning teams they've played and 6-0 the last 6 games they were down double digits.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I said "probably the best roster" not "definitely the best roster". But they DEFINITELY have a top 3 roster or they wouldn't be 25-2 over their last 27 games with Hurts, 13-0 against the last 13 winning teams they've played and 6-0 the last 6 games they were down double digits.
They've done what you guys accuse the Cowboys of doing. Beating dog teams.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
They've done what you guys accuse the Cowboys of doing. Beating dog teams.
13-0 against the last 13 teams they've played with winning records. The Dolphins, the Cowboys, the Chiefs. We will see how they do in this tough bunch of upcoming games...
Dallas W
Chiefs W
Bills?
49ers?
Cowboys?
Seahawks?

And I've never said anything about Dallas beating poor teams because Dallas has been annihilating teams. Dallas is easily a top 5 team IMO

Loso86

Reaction score
Zeke was running around him their last game like he was, literally an orange traffic cone, it was sad to see........
It was very Jaylon Smith-like
Not that good in coverage anymore, but what he brings that we don't have is an aggressive LB who hits the whole and makes the tackle in the run game

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would still take him...how about you?
I reviewed him in 4 full games. One in each of 2020 to 2023.

Physically he looks fine in 2023 but he is definitely playing to avoid injury.

He is big, fast and instinctive but missed many many tackles in the 2023 games.

He should retire if he is worried about getting injured.
- He got 52.5 million guaranteed just a couple of years ago.
- Why play for 2 or 3 million more...?

From Wiki:
On August 8, 2021, Leonard signed a five-year, $99.25 million contract including a $52.5 million guaranteed extension with the Colts, making him the highest-paid outside linebacker in the NFL.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I reviewed him in 4 full games. One in each of 2020 to 2023.

Physically he looks fine in 2023 but he is definitely playing to avoid injury.

He is big, fast and instinctive but missed many many tackles in the 2023 games.

He should retire if he is worried about getting injured.
- He got 52.5 million guaranteed just a couple of years ago.
- Why play for 2 or 3 million more...?

From Wiki:
On August 8, 2021, Leonard signed a five-year, $99.25 million contract including a $52.5 million guaranteed extension with the Colts, making him the highest-paid outside linebacker in the NFL.
Sometimes, a once great athlete has to rededicate. Dallas coaching know him on a player's level.

Thank you swalker, for you insight and time spent in analysis. I'm still tempted but don't more than the this season's $6M tryout renegotiated. He should follow his heart and not overload his pants seat.

CCBoy

Reaction score
That sound you heard when ascending star Markquese Bell went down on the second play of the second quarter was Cowboys Nation gasping in unison. The safety/linebacker hybrid had himself been part of the injury replacement plan for Leighton Vander Esch, who was already leading a thin position group after the preseason loss of promising rookie DeMarvion Overshown.

With Bell in the medical tent, the team was suddenly looking at having to depend on the newly-signed Rashaan Evans to possibly carry a heavy load alongside Damone Clark. Malik Jefferson and Buddy Johnson are the only options on the practice squad.

Bell was able to return, the victim of just a stinger, and he finished the day with four tackles and a defended pass that he nearly picked off. But the nervous moments mid-game will likely stir up even more interest from the fanbase in free agent Shaq Leonard or another veteran who can step in and provide experienced depth down the stretch.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-good-bad-ugly-week-12-commanders/

This was putting the top post into context:

CCBoy

Reaction score
[URL='https://twitter.com/WerderEdESPN']https://thelandryhat.com/posts/cowboys-fans-love-shaquille-leonard-rumors-markquese-bell-injury-scare-01hfz26vzfdh

Ed Werder
[/URL]
@WerderEdESPN

My sense is #Cowboys defensive coaches have encouraged front office to sign Shaq Leonard. Cowboys, Eagles and Broncos have shown interest, per source. Cowboys view as instinctive, role player. Source with another team believes his movement/speed diminished by back surgeries.

3:17 PM · Nov 23, 2023

Replying to @BryanBroaddus

Front office have any interest??

Was told yes.

8:25 AM · Nov 23, 2023

These reports are exciting and relieving all at the same time, but they don't mean anything if the Cowboys don't sign Leonard.

The Colts sent shockwaves around the NFL this week when they released Leonard after five seasons. A three-time All-Pro and former Defensive Rookie of the Year, Leonard's playing time and production plummeted this year after he underwent multiple surgeries to address a back/nerve issue.

Now healthy, Leonard is free to sign with any team. Werder noted that the Eagles (!) and Broncos are among the teams interested in the 28-year-old. That -- plus Dallas' sheer need for more proven linebackers behind Clark and Bell after Leighton Vander Esch's season-ending injury -- should be all the incentive Jerry Jones needs to get this done.

All told, it shouldn't take a Bell injury scare to light a proverbial fire under the Cowboys. While Bell and Clark have impressed in the wake of Vander Esch's injury, Dallas plays with fire each and every week they don't sign another LB.

Zman5

Reaction score
His Wikipedia page says he signed with the Eagirls on November 24th.