Combine Chatter Thread

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Keyarris Garrett and Charone Peake > 34" arms. Peake has long speed too. He's going to be a riser after the combine. Possibly like Demaryius Thomas.

Garrett has always seemed to me like a Marques Colston with a bit more speed. Great catch radius. Great body control. Hands and high points the ball. Been a pet cat for a while. There are going to be a lot of good WR prospects that will still be there in RD3, 4 & 5.

I wonder if De'Runnya Wilson will be moved to TE. Too much of a plodder for WR but could be a severe matchup problem if he can add 25 lbs over the next 2-3 years. Measured in at 6-5/224.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
A) But Zack Martin was an NFL G projection in the draft. So that's irrelevant.

B) Actually what "we" are talking about is whether you can just take the simplistic approach of looking at a value board and determining that the OTs at the top every year are the best OL prospects. You can't. Not if you really know the draft.

C) I bet if you did that study you'd find it to be a mixed bag. It makes zero sense to think OT usually are better prospects than Gs and Cs every year. They are valued more but that doesn't make them better at their position.

Like I said before, you're right about positional bias. That doesn't mean, however, that it is always the determining factor in a player being considered a better prospect. I see elite, perennial Pro-Bowl potential with Stanley. I see a great anchor and a good lineman for a long time in Kelly. That has nothing to do with position. It's based on athleticism and projection of what I saw during the games.

It's near-sighted to dismiss someone else's evaluations because you claim it's based on a bias. The fact of the matter is, unless you actually engage in discussion,you have no idea what the evaluation is based on.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Keyarris Garrett and Charone Peake > 34" arms. Peake has long speed too. He's going to be a riser after the combine. Possibly like Demaryius Thomas.

Garrett has always seemed to me like a Marques Colston with a bit more speed. Great catch radius. Great body control. Hands and high points the ball. Been a pet cat for a while. There are going to be a lot of good WR prospects that will still be there in RD3, 4 & 5.

I wonder if De'Runnya Wilson will be moved to TE. Too much of a plodder for WR but could be a severe matchup problem if he can add 25 lbs over the next 2-3 years. Measured in at 6-5/224.

I think if Funchess (6'5" 236) who played TE at Michigan, can play wideout, Wilson should be able to.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
A) But Zack Martin was an NFL G projection in the draft. So that's irrelevant.

B) Actually what "we" are talking about is whether you can just take the simplistic approach of looking at a value board and determining that the OTs at the top every year are the best OL prospects. You can't. Not if you really know the draft.

C) I bet if you did that study you'd find it to be a mixed bag. It makes zero sense to think OT usually are better prospects than Gs and Cs every year. They are valued more but that doesn't make them better at their position.

Most of the time the best OL prospects are college OT as you've made so clear with your example with Martin and your statement B), and it makes sense because of the position bias. Most kick-*** G in the NFL played OT in college, IIRC even Pouncey played some T at college.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
I think if Funchess (6'5" 236) who played TE at Michigan, can play wideout, Wilson should be able to.

It's not just about size. It's about how they run and change direction, foot quickness, how weight is distributed, etc. A lot of players measure in smaller than their college bio. His official size spurred the comment but it's also based on his film. He doesn't run well. Funchess did/does.

And his face and frame make it look like he has some potential for adding weight.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

Different players but same position change idea.. every time I watched UCLA's Thomas Duarte play, I thought of Jordan Reed. I wouldn't mind him on Day 3 as a pass-catching TE.

Thomas Duarte 6-3/225
StephenDunnDuarte__1441492205.jpg

Jordan Reed 6-2/237
488066948-tight-end-jordan-reed-of-the-washington-gettyimages.jpg

Commanders uniforms are ugly

Last edited:

texbumthelife

Reaction score
It's not just about size. It's about how they run and change direction, foot quickness, how weight is distributed, etc. A lot of players measure in smaller than their college bio. His official size spurred the comment but it's also based on his film. He doesn't run well. Funchess did/does.

And his face and frame make it look like he has some potential for adding weight.

Oh I know what you meant. They're both long striders without much short area quickness. Funchess may be a little big faster though.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Yes, these poor kids. Auditioning to play football for a living.

Maybe we can put a support group together so they can talk about their feelings.

Pfffffft.

I don't think he was asking for sympathy or was attempting to make anyone feel sorry for him

Daillest88

Reaction score
Listening to Sirius XMs NFL station and the Jags GM said teams are already calling them about moving up for a QB.

hmm considering they pick right after us.. god I hope all the qbs are there at 4.. and we get some crazy deal offered to us..

Reactions: BAT

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Every person I know (after having worked at Gold's Gym and been a four-sport athlete for six years) that used 'roids or other PED's, had hands disproportionately small to their bodies and massive heads. I believe it's due to the bone structure in your hands. They aren't effected the same by growth hormones etc. It is a bunch of tiny bones, instead of one or two long bones.

I don't throw this around lightly and I'm not saying he does anymore, but Henry absolutely screams PEDs. Awful complexion. Greatly receding hairline/thinning hair. Disproportionate body. He looks like a poster for PED side effects.

:hammer:

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Best athlete, not best football player.

Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews and/or Taylor Lewan were not superior OL prospects than Zack Martin. They were just selected higher due to position bias.

If you think the best OL prospects are OTs every year, have at it. I know better. Ronnie Stanley is not in any way better at his position than Kelly is at his.

Positional bias definitely factors in, but who's to say that Jake Matthews wouldn't be an all pro guard? I think tackles tend to guy higher because if all else fails, they usually can play guard at a high level. Robert Gallery was a colossal bust at LT, but was actually a pretty good guard. Same for Leonard Davis. I can't think of anyone who was a bust at guard, moved to tackle and had not just more success, but pro-bowl/all-pro success.

Aven8

Reaction score
Starting (and former) NFL QB Hand Sizes (via Rotoworld):

Drew Brees (10.25 inches)

Russell Wilson(10.25 inches)

Paxton Lynch (11.5 inches)

Brett Favre (10.38 inches)

Michael Vick (historically small 8.5-inch hands)

Colin Kaepernick (9.13 inches)

Cam Newton (9 7/8)

Andy Dalton (9 1/2 inches)

Robert Griffin III (9.5 inches)

Joe Flacco (9.63 inches)

Daunte Culpepper (9.5 inches)

Tom Brady (“enormous hand,” according to NFL guy Scott Pioli)

Aaron Rodgers (9.38 inches)

Teddy Bridgewater (9 1/4)

Tony Romo (8.86 inches)

AJ McCarron (10 inches)

Cardale Jones (9 3/4)

Derek Carr (9 1/8)

Ryan Tannehill (9 inches)

Johnny Manziel (9 7/8)

Good grief, Wilson and Brees with that big of hands. They would be great doing a Hamburger Helper ad!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said before, you're right about positional bias. That doesn't mean, however, that it is always the determining factor in a player being considered a better prospect. I see elite, perennial Pro-Bowl potential with Stanley. I see a great anchor and a good lineman for a long time in Kelly. That has nothing to do with position. It's based on athleticism and projection of what I saw during the games.

It's near-sighted to dismiss someone else's evaluations because you claim it's based on a bias. The fact of the matter is, unless you actually engage in discussion,you have no idea what the evaluation is based on.

See, this is the thing with you guys. You always change the argument when you're wrong. Always.

This is how it went down....

You - Stanley is the 2nd best OL prospect and closing in on Tunsil on many boards.

Me - He's actually not. He's ranked 2nd along the OL because of position bias. Kelly's just as good at his position.

You - Yeah, okay. On everyone's board he's #2 but in Risen Star's world he's not. Contrarian.

Me - That's position bias. T's will always be graded higher than an equally skilled G or C. They are valued more.

-

You've now went from saying he was the clear cut #2 because everyone's board reflected it to the other extreme where it doesn't always mean it's just position bias (something I don't think you even knew and considered in the first place).

I never said it's always the case that the 2nd ranked T has to be lesser than the best G. I said Ts will always have a grade bump. LTs even more. It's just a fact. So you can not simply look at a value board at the top, skip an OL to the next and declare that player the 2nd best OL prospect in the draft. It doesn't work that way. It could, depending on the year, but it doesn't always work that way. In fact, I'd say it's often not the case. Like 2014. When Zack Martin was only the 4th or 5th ranked OL prospect simply because he was projected to play inside in the NFL. Robinson isn't a better player. Neither is Matthews or Lewan. Yet you would have looked at those boards at that time and assumed that they were.

Now, of course, me saying Kelly is as good if not better is opinion. Yours may be different but you didn't use that as any vindication. You said the boards proved it and they do not prove that at all.

Last edited: