Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score

Complete photoshop - here's the actual pic:

pope-manila-mass.jpg

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
Yes. Long shot odds.

Of course believing your highly intelligent, paint by numbers theory I would have to believe that practically every single year the 2 or 3 best OL prospects in the entire class are OTs. It has nothing to do with position bias why the best of those tend to go in the top 12 and the best Gs and Cs go later. No. The OTs are always better players than the OG and Cs. Every year!

Sorry, tex. I know better. When you catch up with me we can talk about it.

Position bias exists in college too, that's why they put their best athlete out at LT, hence odds are the best prospects will come from that position...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yes, these poor kids. Auditioning to play football for a living.

Maybe we can put a support group together so they can talk about their feelings.

Pfffffft.

I am the last to care about an athlete not being able "feed their family", but I thought this was a little harsh.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The thing with Henry is how does he age in the NFL? I can foresee a very Marion Barber-ish type career where the pick looks good initially and then the player falls off a cliff by the end of his first contract. If he is truly a one contract RB, I don't think you want to burn a 1st or 2nd round pick on him. He's straight line-ish, you'll have to worry about his weight. I'm just not all that much of a fan of his NFL potential.

I've been saying the same thing since last year.

RS12

Reaction score
muttley.gif
Fisher carnival barking on twitter his premium content for the combine.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Position bias exists in college too, that's why they put their best athlete out at LT, hence odds are the best prospects will come from that position...

Best athlete, not best football player.

Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews and/or Taylor Lewan were not superior OL prospects than Zack Martin. They were just selected higher due to position bias.

If you think the best OL prospects are OTs every year, have at it. I know better. Ronnie Stanley is not in any way better at his position than Kelly is at his.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I coached a player who bounced back from Eastern Washington and know a few of their coaches. The book on Adams is that he is overly competitive (which I know doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world) but also shuts down like a child when things don't go his way.

That is interesting considering the adversity he actually did overcome in his college career.

Not taking anything away from your sources.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews and/or Taylor Lewan were not superior OL prospects than Zack Martin. They were just selected higher due to position bias.

If you think the best OL prospects are OTs every year, have at it. I know better. Ronnie Stanley is not in any way better at his position than Kelly is at his.

Zack Martin is an interesting example considering many actually projected him as an OT. All these claims are also much easier in retrospect. It would not have been difficult to substantiate claims at that point, that Robinson and Matthews were better prospects than Martin.

I get what you're saying and I don't disagree with it at all. However, just because a bias exists, doesn't mean that's always the underlying reason for a certain player/position being ranked higher.

I actually think Ronnie Stanley is right there with Tunsil. My evaluation of him is obviously based somewhat on his position, which some would deem more important than interior OL guys, but it's also based simply on his talent and athletic ability and how I project him to the pros. If his head is right and the motor is there, I honestly think he could become a better pro than Tunsil because I think he's a better all around athlete. Obviously, the upcoming drills will shed more light on that and I may be proven wrong, but at this point we are all projecting based on opinions, ALL of which have some amount of bias factored in.

To me, Kelly is a great athlete for his position and a very good prospect, but he needs to add some bulk and needs to show an ability to be more of a drive blocker. He's taller than I would like my C to be, but he has an accommodating frame which is a huge bonus. I really want to see his arm length and bench reps. Then again, by most accounts Frederich bombed the combine... He flat out doesn't look as impressive or like he has as much upside in the pros as Stanley does to me, though.

Last edited:

L-O-Jete

Reaction score

A)Zack Martin was a T in college.
B) We are talking about prospects and seeing how athleticism is pretty relevant to sports, usually better athlete=better prospect, but you are absolutely correct that better athlete doesn't mean better football player.
C) I said "odds are" not an absolute, like you stated, but if you go back a number of years I'm pretty sure 7 out of 10 times the best prospect was a T

gmoney112

Reaction score
Martin played Tackle in college, but it was pretty unanimous he'd be kicked inside to G in the NFL. That's one reason he took, if not all, the majority of his snaps at G in the Senior Bowl.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A)Zack Martin was a T in college.
B) We are talking about prospects and seeing how athleticism is pretty relevant to sports, usually better athlete=better prospect, but you are absolutely correct that better athlete doesn't mean better football player.
C) I said "odds are" not an absolute, like you stated, but if you go back a number of years I'm pretty sure 7 out of 10 times the best prospect was a T

A) But Zack Martin was an NFL G projection in the draft. So that's irrelevant.

B) Actually what "we" are talking about is whether you can just take the simplistic approach of looking at a value board and determining that the OTs at the top every year are the best OL prospects. You can't. Not if you really know the draft.

C) I bet if you did that study you'd find it to be a mixed bag. It makes zero sense to think OT usually are better prospects than Gs and Cs every year. They are valued more but that doesn't make them better at their position.