Combine Chatter Thread

Gaede

Reaction score
I like Henry. I'm OK with him early. Would like to see more quickness, but there is no doubt he can prove valuable to the team that picks him. Must be the right scheme

reddyuta

Reaction score
I will be posses if we use our top picks on RBs when talented Dlinemen are there for the taking.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very good prospect from ND. Second best OL prospect in the draft that has been closing the gap lately.

He's actually not. It's just position bias that creates that perception. Stanley is not any better at his position than Kelly is at his.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
He's actually not. It's just position bias that creates that perception. Stanley is not any better at his position than Kelly is at his.

And then you have Risen Star's take which wouldn't be his if it didn't want to cash in on hyperbole and the long shot odds of being right, while being against the grain.

Stanley was the best offensive linemen on one of the best lines in college football. He is absolutely the second best offensive line talent in the draft.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And then you have Risen Star's take which wouldn't be his if it didn't want to cash in on hyperbole and the long shot odds of being right, while being against the grain.

Yes. Long shot odds.

Of course believing your highly intelligent, paint by numbers theory I would have to believe that practically every single year the 2 or 3 best OL prospects in the entire class are OTs. It has nothing to do with position bias why the best of those tend to go in the top 12 and the best Gs and Cs go later. No. The OTs are always better players than the OG and Cs. Every year!

Sorry, tex. I know better. When you catch up with me we can talk about it.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Yes. Long shot odds.

Of course believing your highly intelligent, paint by numbers theory I would have to believe that practically every single year the 2 or 3 best OL prospects in the entire class are OTs. It has nothing to do with position bias why the best of those tend to go in the top 12 and the best Gs and Cs go later. No. The OTs are always better players than the OG and Cs. Every year!

Sorry, tex. I know better. When you catch up with me we can talk about it.

I haven't and wouldn't argue positional bias. Of course OT's carry more value. Never said they didn't. The fact of the matter is, they are more valuable. However, just because a bias exists, doesn't mean it is the only merit for a players rank as a prospect. As I said, Stanley was the best offensive lineman on one of the best offensive lines in college football.

Stanley has a long, athletic frame and good girth. He has experience at both tackle spots, and excelled at both. He's got tremendous athleticism to keep athletic defenders from getting around the corner. He's still young and learning, but his upside is definitely on par with some of the better LT's in the pros. His measurements are tremendous and I expect great numbers in the drills to further illustrate his athleticism for the position.

It's not a slight to OG's, who I absolutely appreciate the importance of, particularly as a man who loves the smash mouth, power running game. I truly believe Stanley is the second best OL prospect in the draft, regardless of position and I think when all is said and done he may push Tunsil on some boards.

My comment to you was purely in jest. Perhaps I should have included a winky face to lighten the tone.

Knowing about a bias that everyone acknowledges doesn't mean you know better. I rank the players without bias, as I am not personally running a team. When you apply your your methodology, you're simply showing bias yourself.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Stanley will likely go top ten; a team like the Ravens could take him quite early.

Sydla

Reaction score
Bucky Brooks (LOL, I know) ranked the Top 5 offensive lineman in the draft:

Tunsil
Stanley
Conklin
Whitehair
Decker

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Elliott would, in my opinion, be the most impactful rookie we could draft in regards to his rookie season. If the Cowboys determine that none of the top 3 QBs are worthy of the pick, I'd love an 8-10 pick trade down to net an extra 2nd and draft Elliott.

Zeke is a perfect fit, love the kid and his size is just right for this team.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Zeke is a perfect fit, love the kid and his size is just right for this team.

Definitely. I don't think he's a realistic target for the Cowboys though. I think McFadden will be the starter next year. I think if the Cowboys draft a RB this year, it won't be any higher than our 4th round comp pick.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Definitely. I don't think he's a realistic target for the Cowboys though. I think McFadden will be the starter next year. I think if the Cowboys draft a RB this year, it won't be any higher than our 4th round comp pick.

Sadly you are probably right. Zeke is a safe pick for sure but as you say, I doubt it happens.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
LeRaven Clark is criminally underrated. LONG arms, good feet. That guy will start for a long time in the NFL.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
One cut runners still need exceptional balance. Very seldom are you going to cut and go with no contact. Any runner that runs as high as Henry needs to show he can make that cut and go not only without losing speed, but without losing balance.

Personally, I don't think his balance is an issue. We've all seen him take huge shots and not fall down. My biggest concerns are his vision and ability to hit the right hole in a zone scheme, and his lateral quickness to make something happen when the play breaks down.

Exactly. Watch any of his games, you can divine more of his future production from on past on field performance than measured drills. As for whether Henry can succeed in ZBS at next level, will very much depend on his vision like you mentioned. But his experience in ALA does bode well since their OL uses both zone and man, similar to what the Cowboys do now.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I've read grumblings that the difference between Stanley and Tunsil is negligible. If the distance was as slim as some projected, I wonder if some might see Stanley as a better prospect if he performs/measures better at the combine. You could legitimately see two OT's go before two QBs in this draft.

Honestly...I've liked Stanley better all along. When I watched Boise State vs Ole Miss 2 years ago...and during the broadcast they said Tunsil showed up to school over 400lbs....that's a major red flag IMO. Credit to him for getting down in weight...but you always worry...he could balloon up once he gets paid.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
He might drop, but it wont be out of the second round.

I mean seriously, there is going to be a lot of Mike Jenkins syndrome going around when Henry breaks a run outside. I might take him just so my defenders don't have to tackle him.

It would not shock me it 3 years...some team tries to turn him into a guard...He's gonna be that fat