Combine Chatter Thread

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
And then you have Risen Star's take which wouldn't be his if it didn't want to cash in on hyperbole and the long shot odds of being right, while being against the grain.

Stanley was the best offensive linemen on one of the best lines in college football. He is absolutely the second best offensive line talent in the draft.

2nd???? He's top on my list.....

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
LeRaven Clark is criminally underrated. LONG arms, good feet. That guy will start for a long time in the NFL.

Really??? Watch him during the SR Bowl...and I thought he was undraftable......He was that bad. But I did learn a lesson last year.....don't put too much stock into the Sr Bowl practices. I wouldn't have touched Sentrel Henderson after watching him get worked for 3 days....then the Bills drafted him 7th round....and then he beat out the 2nd round pick from Alabama to start @ RT

...so to say
your wrong...Who knows....But from what I saw those 3 days....It would be hard to draft him.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Derrick Henry's hands...third smallest among RBs. It's one thing for a 5-10 guy to have 8 3/4" hands. On a 6-3 guy they must look like baby hands.

Glad to see Kenneth Dixon didn't come in shorter than the size listed in his LA Tech bio.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hackenburg also has 9' hands as well.

That is the basic cut off, so it is doubtful they get dinged severely.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Really??? Watch him during the SR Bowl...and I thought he was undraftable......He was that bad. But I did learn a lesson last year.....don't put too much stock into the Sr Bowl practices. I wouldn't have touched Sentrel Henderson after watching him get worked for 3 days....then the Bills drafted him 7th round....and then he beat out the 2nd round pick from Alabama to start @ RT

...so to say
your wrong...Who knows....But from what I saw those 3 days....It would be hard to draft him.

I watched him play 30+ games. He is very, very good. He is a RT on the next level after playing LT in college and at the Sr Bowl. He is a massive guy at 6'6" and 315 with insanely long arms.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
LeRaven Clark is criminally underrated. LONG arms, good feet. That guy will start for a long time in the NFL.

He has the tools, but I don't think he is underrated. Some are putting him at the bottom of the first round in some mocks.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hackenburg also has 9' hands as well.

That is the basic cut off, so it is doubtful they get dinged severely.

If they throw it well on tape and at the combine the only issue will be a few more fumbles.
It's worth noting but I wouldn't write anyone off for it.

Goff is a quick release, quick read guy. Not sure I care about hand size if he doesn't have the ball when the defense gets there.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Winners

1. Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame
notre-dame-ronnie-stanley-stance.jpg
Stanley figures to be under a microscope this week with recent questions arising about his love for the game and tenacity on the field, so it was good to see him kick off the week with impressive measurables. Tipping the scales at 6-5, 312 pounds with 35 5/8-inch arms and 10 5/8-inch hands, Stanley checked all the tangible boxes for teams. The interview process will be important for him this week as well.

2. Vadal Alexander, LSU
490144876.jpg
It’s no secret that I think Alexander’s game has a long way to go before he’s ready to start in the NFL, but dropping to 326 pounds was a good decision for the LSU product. Alexander is definitely a guard in the NFL, but 35 1/4-inch arms and 10 1/2-inch hands will aid him greatly inside, despite his athletic deficiencies.

3. Hal Vaitai, TCU
hal-vaitai.jpg
This draft needs depth at offensive tackle, and while I’m not high on many of the potential second- and third-day linemen this class offers, Vaitai could be flying under the media’s radar right now. At 6-6, 320 pounds, with 34 1/4-inch arms and 10-inch hands, Vaitai has the measurables to project at either guard or tackle in the NFL. He just needs some technical work and coaching.

4. Ryan Kelly, Alabama
456261924.jpg
On a day when a number of centers weighed-in short and light, Kelly’s measurables did not disappoint. At 6-4, 311 pounds, 33 5/8-inch arms and 9 5/8-inch hands, Kelly was the second-heaviest center at the combine, with arms shorter than only Duke’s Matt Skura. I expect Kelly to impress this week and emerge as the top center at the combine for most NFL teams, if he isn’t already

5. Max Tuerk, USC
458516678.jpg
Rumored to have played at 280 or lighter at USC (he was listed at 269 pounds on NFL.com), Tuerk checking in at 6-5, 298 was a big win for his draft stock. If he can carry that weight well during his workouts (pro day) and obtain clean medical reports during his time in Indy, his stock will skyrocket among zone-blocking teams.

Losers

1. Austin Blythe. Iowa
505579960.jpg
Blythe is a tough kid who found ways to win in college despite his size, but weighing in at 6-2, 291 pounds with just 30 1/4-inch arms and 9 3/8-inch hands isn’t desirable. Blythe was the second lightest offensive lineman at the combine, and had by far the shortest arms.

2. Jack Allen, Michigan State
503036652.jpg
Measuring just a tad over 6-1 and 294 pounds, Allen actually lost weight since the Senior Bowl, despite reports he was trying to climb to at least 300. He’s a decent athlete, but at the end of the day he may not be outstanding enough in any one area for teams to roll the dice on his size during the draft’s second day. I still think he can and will start in the NFL for a long time.

3. Spencer Drango, Baylor
460959278.jpg
You should expect some nitpicking when you’re reading about weigh-in winners and losers, but Drango’s 32 3/4-inch arms are a little peculiar for a 6-6, 320-pound man. His hands were also smaller than expected at 9 1/2-inches.

4. Denver Kirkland, Arkansas
denver-kirkland.jpg
It isn’t necessarily a negative that Kirkland weighed in as the heaviest player at the combine at 6-4, 335 pounds, but the way he carries it this week in workouts will be closely monitored by NFL teams. Many think Kirkland had issues with balance and weight distribution on tape, so he’ll be under a microscope as teams watch his positional exercises in earnest.

5. Willie Beavers, Western Michigan
willie-beavers.jpg
I don’t necessarily think it is right, but NFL teams value length a lot in their offensive tackles, and Beavers is gonna be right on the cusp of that barometer. At 6-4, 324 pounds with 33 1/2-inch arms, Beavers may be asked to kick inside to guard by some teams, where he looked less than sterling during Senior Bowl week.

http://thedraftwire.usatoday.com/2016/02/24/nfl-combine-offensive-line-weigh-in-winners-and-losers/

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I really the idea of drafting Adams to be the backup QB. I spend a 5th

I like Prescott as a developmental guy.

I think he has a lot of the tools you want, he's played in big games, and can probably be had in the 4th round.

Honestly though it's Wentz or pass on QB for me.