Comics and Movies

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not an "anti-Larsonist", I've seen her in a couple other roles and liked her well enough. For me, it's a combination of the character and the actress. I'm not a big Captain Marvel fan, I don't dislike the character, but in general I'm not a fan of overpowered superheroes (eg. Superman). I'm more of the "take it or leave it" crowd and to really get into the character would take a stellar performance by the actor, something that sparks my curiosity.

Larson wasn't bad and I didn't dislike her performance, but the combination of character/actor doesn't make me say "Wow, I can't wait to see more!"

She’s definitely ‘overpowered’, and essentially a deus ex machina for any battle. That makes for uninteresting stories lacking legitimate conflict.

I’m hoping they fix that and power her down somehow.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never thought of Ben Affleck as a replacement for Christopher Bale either.
Christopher Nolan and Bale agreed to a trilogy, and i thought it ran it’s course accordingly. Nolan had already made it clear he planned to call it quits after the 3rd one.
My bad. You introduced Spider-Man, Superman and Batman into the discussion and I misunderstood since I did not see any correlation.
Now Don Cheadle immediately “replacing” the fired Terrence Howard as Rody in the Iron Man trilogy ..that was a replacement.!
Apparent bad blood boiling over betwixt producer director Jon Favreau vs supporting actor Howard as i heard it.
That was abruptly right in the middle (per sequel IM 2) of the series production
Now Terrence Howard for Don Cheadle was a 100% replacement, so I agree. That was unfortunate in my opinion because I really like Howard.

However, Rhodey is a supporting character in the Iron Man franchise. That change would not be equivalent to the transition of a main character. I doubt many of the franchise's audience base thought very much of the switch. And Cheadle has done a fantastic job after taking over.
However Shurki (Letithia Wright) is replacing T’Challa (Boswick) as the new Black Panther, and of course as very well known, this is a different, and very unusual exception.
The huge key is how director Ryan Coolgler is gonna be how he sets the stage around the main character Shuri, as well as how the actress herself performs as the lead,

As studios hire directors, directors tend to seek out their own preferred actors in both lead and supporting roles.
That’s where the various actors, (per names as you’ve already previously posted) comes in.
No. I disagree.

Shuri is not replacing T'Challa. Letitia Wright will not be assuming Chadwick Boseman's role.

Shuri would be taking up the mantle of the Black Panther, just as her brother and their ancestors did before her. Perhaps that is the point I am not communicating very well. Disney, Marvel and Coogler are not allowing another actor to assume the role of T'Challa, King of Wakanda, who was played by Boseman. That is what my comments have been based upon and underscore why I agreed with the decision to not replace Boseman in the MCU.
Frankly that is why I also was utterly ‘ Stunned “ that Disney made the decision to bring over the leftover cast from Netflix in their respective hero series.

Usually a studio opts to go with a entirely different a with a new fresh from scratch approach, a totally clean slate.
But something compelled Disney to actually keep the crew of Daredevil, - by far the most popular of the Netflix superhero series.
Still to this day, i'd be interested to see how and why Disney decided differently.
Honestly, I am confused by that assumption. I was under the impression that most fans of al the Netflix series did not understand Disney's delay incorporating those shows into its streaming service library.

After Disney rectified that circumstance, I thought public discourse centered upon whether the studio would revive those series and their cast under its streaming umbrella. Then

appearances by Charlie Cox as Matt Murdoch in Spider-Man: No Way Home and Vincent D'Onofrio in Hawkeye

...seemingly squashed all speculation about the integration of the Netflix shows into the Disney MCU. I thought overall reaction changed from doubt to satisfaction that Disney was finally doing "the right thing."

However, you were stunned. I am curious. I mean, yeah. It is a fact that Disney revamps their stuff all the time. Sleeping Beauty. Cinderella. The Lion King. Beauty and the Beast. The Little Mermaid next year. Etc. There is no denying Disney's retro tendency but they have been applying the process to re-energize and attract newer and bigger audiences.

Yet, that tendency has historically involved its own previously produced material. These series were under the Netflix umbrella. And they were worked for Netflix. Why would the studio redo what worked, with actors and characters audiences well-remembered from a very recent past?

Heck. I would be very puzzled why Disney would re-cast Charlie Cox. To me, he is very "Disney friendly." I think the same of Mike Colter and Krysten Ritter (even with the alcoholism).

Now, Jon Bernthal is debatable as Disney friendly. The question is still unanswered whether the studio will assimilate Bernthal's series level of violence into a reboot of that series. I would think they would be utter ignorant to "revamp" The Punisher but it would not be surprising they would replace Bernthal within the show's continuity to "lighten" its viewing quality (vomit).

I am really rambling.

Disney can re-cast Finn Jones for Iron Fist. Although I like Jones, a replacement would not surprise me and I doubt many in the audience would care. I would care if they replaced Jessica Henwick though. :mad:

Yeah. I'm rambling bad. :laugh:

quickccc

Reaction score
I found this article:

https://insidethemagic.net/2022/09/brie-larson-captain-marvel-interview-dr1/

There are six or so additional articles linked to it. Does it and the others provide a reasonable summary describing public resentment with Brie Larson in your opinion?

Per the article link that @DallasEast just posted,

On screen persona “ perception is likely describes most felt about Laurson’s presence and performance.

Ironically I posted a similar article link in this thread with much of the same issues in regards to fans dismay and unpopularity, a couple of weeks or so.
- At least now with the criticism, I know that it’s not just lonesome me. :p

Meanwhile this other his gripe about “ Capt. Marvel being too powerful “ ..either I didn’t notice or overlook before.
But that one was very far and distance from my distaste about her and the film, as in fact i would enjoy seeing a female
being so powerful that it makes her such a difficult task for her villains to overcome.

Such in case, Scarlett Johannson's " Lucy "

With Capt- Marvel, I had problems with several key points, which most of all, (by far) is how the great Nick Fury lost his eye to Heathcliff the cat !
- Worst idea Marvel ever decided to implement !
:thumbdown:

quickccc

Reaction score
She’s definitely ‘overpowered’, and essentially a deus ex machina for any battle. That makes for uninteresting stories lacking legitimate conflict.

I’m hoping they fix that and power her down somehow.

" Power her down less ? " ... especially since Capt. Marvel has now been transformed into the Binary ?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
My bad. You introduced Spider-Man, Superman and Batman into the discussion and I misunderstood since I did not see any correlation.
Now Terrence Howard for Don Cheadle was a 100% replacement, so I agree. That was unfortunate in my opinion because I really like Howard.

However, Rhodey is a supporting character in the Iron Man franchise. That change would not be equivalent to the transition of a main character. I doubt many of the franchise's audience base thought very much of the switch. And Cheadle has done a fantastic job after taking over.
No. I disagree.

Shuri is not replacing T'Challa. Letitia Wright will not be assuming Chadwick Boseman's role.

Shuri would be taking up the mantle of the Black Panther, just as her brother and their ancestors did before her. Perhaps that is the point I am not communicating very well. Disney, Marvel and Coogler are not allowing another actor to assume the role of T'Challa, King of Wakanda, who was played by Boseman. That is what my comments have been based upon and underscore why I agreed with the decision to not replace Boseman in the MCU.
Honestly, I am confused by that assumption. I was under the impression that most fans of al the Netflix series did not understand Disney's delay incorporating those shows into its streaming service library.

After Disney rectified that circumstance, I thought public discourse centered upon whether the studio would revive those series and their cast under its streaming umbrella. Then

appearances by Charlie Cox as Matt Murdoch in Spider-Man: No Way Home and Vincent D'Onofrio in Hawkeye

...seemingly squashed all speculation about the integration of the Netflix shows into the Disney MCU. I thought overall reaction changed from doubt to satisfaction that Disney was finally doing "the right thing."

However, you were stunned. I am curious. I mean, yeah. It is a fact that Disney revamps their stuff all the time. Sleeping Beauty. Cinderella. The Lion King. Beauty and the Beast. The Little Mermaid next year. Etc. There is no denying Disney's retro tendency but they have been applying the process to re-energize and attract newer and bigger audiences.

Yet, that tendency has historically involved its own previously produced material. These series were under the Netflix umbrella. And they were worked for Netflix. Why would the studio redo what worked, with actors and characters audiences well-remembered from a very recent past?

Heck. I would be very puzzled why Disney would re-cast Charlie Cox. To me, he is very "Disney friendly." I think the same of Mike Colter and Krysten Ritter (even with the alcoholism).

Now, Jon Bernthal is debatable as Disney friendly. The question is still unanswered whether the studio will assimilate Bernthal's series level of violence into a reboot of that series. I would think they would be utter ignorant to "revamp" The Punisher but it would not be surprising they would replace Bernthal within the show's continuity to "lighten" its viewing quality (vomit).

I am really rambling.

Disney can re-cast Finn Jones for Iron Fist. Although I like Jones, a replacement would not surprise me and I doubt many in the audience would care. I would care if they replaced Jessica Henwick though. :mad:

It's doubtful Bernthal would agree to play Disney's Punisher as they would no doubt Disneyify the character

“So I was really grateful, respectful and weary of the places where that role took me and the world in which I had to live in. That being said, that’s where that character needs to be. It needs to be a level of darkness. I think if there’s any let up on that character, you do a disservice to the character, to every iteration of the character, to every comic book that’s come before, and to all of the unbelievable fans of the character. This character means so much to people in the military. So like I said before, it’s not about whether you do the character; it’s about whether you can do it right, and I’m only interested in doing it right.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...e-mcu-rosario-dawson-reveals/?sh=629df09b42e7

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Batman is a different story, it's been well established going back 30 years of different actors portraying the Dark Knight, kinda like James Bond. The mantle gets passed after that actor's run of the character.
My thing is that the Batman character has gone through different types of actor transitions. Christian Bale and Ben Affleck is one kind. They made uninterrupted runs as the Dark Knight and have not actually been replaced by another actor.

Even Robert Pattinson is not technically a replacement for Affleck UNLESS Warner Brothers Discovery truly switches gears, reconstructs its DCEU to some extent and go with another Bruce Wayne within its DCEU. Additionally, they could just trash its DCEU and build around Pattinson and Joaquin Phoenix as an Elseworld universe going forward. Even in that case, Pattinson would not be replacing Affleck.

Now the other transition kind happened with Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney. I would agree that was loosely Bond like for 007s up-and-until the Daniel Craig era, which was a total reboot. In my opinion, the pre-Craig transitions were better done than the Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney Batmans. And my opinion includes George Lazenby's quick intro and exit too.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

No. I disagree.

I am really rambling.

The trick is to scan ahead, and look for keywords, then move on to the next post.
:muttley:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not an "anti-Larsonist", I've seen her in a couple other roles and liked her well enough. For me, it's a combination of the character and the actress. I'm not a big Captain Marvel fan, I don't dislike the character, but in general I'm not a fan of overpowered superheroes (eg. Superman). I'm more of the "take it or leave it" crowd and to really get into the character would take a stellar performance by the actor, something that sparks my curiosity.

Larson wasn't bad and I didn't dislike her performance, but the combination of character/actor doesn't make me say "Wow, I can't wait to see more!"
Understood. I get that. Me? I want the entire gambit of characters that I have read over the years, from Nightwing to The Beyonder. From base person to omnipotent being. I enjoyed Larson's take in the movies thus far.

The Ms. Marvel end credits cameo showed her quirkiness, that endeared her to me more.

I am eager to see where Carol Danvers goes from here.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meanwhile this other his gripe about “ Capt. Marvel being too powerful “ ..either I didn’t notice or overlook before.
But that one was very far and distance from my distaste about her and the film, as in fact i would enjoy seeing a female
being so powerful that it makes her such a difficult task for her villains to overcome.

Such in case, Scarlett Johannson's " Lucy "
I thought pre-1985 Superman was overpowered. I do not think the same of 2012's comic book and 2019's movie version of Captain Marvel. The character is not on par with a Celestial for instance. She would get swatted away by one of them. They would have been subdued by the old Superman though in my opinion.

Please do not distract me with Lucy. Love that movie. :p

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
" Power her down less ? " ... especially since Capt. Marvel has now been transformed into the Binary ?

I cannot see the image but the movie version of Danvers has not been transformed into the comic book character Binary. There are distinct differences in those two characters' powers. It is true that the comic book version links Binary and Captain Marvel within the continuity but there is no comparable transformation seen in the MCU.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's doubtful Bernthal would agree to play Disney's Punisher as they would no doubt Disneyify the character

“So I was really grateful, respectful and weary of the places where that role took me and the world in which I had to live in. That being said, that’s where that character needs to be. It needs to be a level of darkness. I think if there’s any let up on that character, you do a disservice to the character, to every iteration of the character, to every comic book that’s come before, and to all of the unbelievable fans of the character. This character means so much to people in the military. So like I said before, it’s not about whether you do the character; it’s about whether you can do it right, and I’m only interested in doing it right.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...e-mcu-rosario-dawson-reveals/?sh=629df09b42e7
I would fully respect and endorse Bernthal's decision to not reprise the role. It is totally within Disney's capabilities to implement proper "parental controls" and shield that portion of its streaming service who could not cope with who the Punisher is. Neutering the character "too much" would be too much for a comic book fan like me to accept easily.

quickccc

Reaction score
I cannot see the image but the movie version of Danvers has not been transformed into the comic book character Binary. There are distinct differences in those two characters' powers. It is true that the comic book version links Binary and Captain Marvel within the continuity but there is no comparable transformation seen in the MCU.

220px-Carol_Danvers_-_%28evolution%29.jpg

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Understood. I get that. Me? I want the entire gambit of characters that I have read over the years, from Nightwing to The Beyonder. From base person to omnipotent being. I enjoyed Larson's take in the movies thus far.

The Ms. Marvel end credits cameo showed her quirkiness, that endeared her to me more.

I am eager to see where Carol Danvers goes from here.
I get that too. Fans that read the comic books probably love the movies and that's cool. I read a lot of comics, Captain Marvel just wasn't one of them. I tended towards more of the Earth bound heroes vs Galactic traveling types, but there were a few exceptions.

Diversity is great for comics based movies, there should be something for all fans regardless of the heroes, genres, or age groups.