Comics and Movies

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Understood. I get that. Me? I want the entire gambit of characters that I have read over the years, from Nightwing to The Beyonder. From base person to omnipotent being. I enjoyed Larson's take in the movies thus far.

The Ms. Marvel end credits cameo showed her quirkiness, that endeared her to me more.

I am eager to see where Carol Danvers goes from here.
Maybe it's because I never read the comics, but I liked her character, and I thought she did a great job in the role. I never even got the sense of "female empowerment" being a big thing with her, because all the flashbacks of her falling and getting back up didn't seem like it was "in spite of, or because of her being a girl". It was just who she was as a person.

quickccc

Reaction score
My thing is that the Batman character has gone through different types of actor transitions. Christian Bale and Ben Affleck is one kind. They made uninterrupted runs as the Dark Knight and have not actually been replaced by another actor.

Even Robert Pattinson is not technically a replacement for Affleck UNLESS Warner Brothers Discovery truly switches gears, reconstructs its DCEU to some extent and go with another Bruce Wayne within its DCEU. Additionally, they could just trash its DCEU and build around Pattinson and Joaquin Phoenix as an Elseworld universe going forward. Even in that case, Pattinson would not be replacing Affleck.

Now the other transition kind happened with Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney. I would agree that was loosely Bond like for 007s up-and-until the Daniel Craig era, which was a total reboot. In my opinion, the pre-Craig transitions were better done than the Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney Batmans. And my opinion includes George Lazenby's quick intro and exit too.

Ugggh .. Val Kilmer and George Clooney era ..... :thumbdown:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get that too. Fans that read the comic books probably love the movies and that's cool. I read a lot of comics, Captain Marvel just wasn't one of them. I tended towards more of the Earth bound heroes vs Galactic traveling types, but there were a few exceptions.

Diversity is great for comics based movies, there should be something for all fans regardless of the heroes, genres, or age groups.
I am definitely an outlier when it comes to overall comic book character appreciation. For example, Guardians of the Galaxy was one of my favorite titles decades before it was revamped with Groot and Rocket. :)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe it's because I never read the comics, but I liked her character, and I thought she did a great job in the role. I never even got the sense of "female empowerment" being a big thing with her, because all the flashbacks of her falling and getting back up didn't seem like it was "in spite of, or because of her being a girl". It was just who she was as a person.
Well said.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
220px-Carol_Danvers_-_%28evolution%29.jpg

We’re talking about MCU Captain Marvel.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@quickccc, the best way to think of Brie Larson's character is to forget everything in the comics you know of Carol Danvers before 2012.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't Capt M became "Binary" at end of film
And in "Binary" mode in Avengers End game s Thanos in final battle?
Is it the light show surrounding Danvers that gives you the impression she is displaying Binary powers?

If so, that imagery is the Infinity Space Stone/Tesseract energies manifesting itself around her.

Remember in this film version, Carol was infused with cosmic power when Mar-Vell's experimental starship engine exploded when she shot it to prevent Yon-Rogg getting his hands on it.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
My thing is that the Batman character has gone through different types of actor transitions. Christian Bale and Ben Affleck is one kind. They made uninterrupted runs as the Dark Knight and have not actually been replaced by another actor.

Even Robert Pattinson is not technically a replacement for Affleck UNLESS Warner Brothers Discovery truly switches gears, reconstructs its DCEU to some extent and go with another Bruce Wayne within its DCEU. Additionally, they could just trash its DCEU and build around Pattinson and Joaquin Phoenix as an Elseworld universe going forward. Even in that case, Pattinson would not be replacing Affleck.

Now the other transition kind happened with Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney. I would agree that was loosely Bond like for 007s up-and-until the Daniel Craig era, which was a total reboot. In my opinion, the pre-Craig transitions were better done than the Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney Batmans. And my opinion includes George Lazenby's quick intro and exit too.
I don't know if it's really necessary to try and build a singular Batman into a DCEU type world, that seems to be in vogue these days however.. He may be the only hero that I can say that about. The character has been explored in comics in about every conceivable way, different versions, timelines, time periods etc. and trying to limit him to one timeline seems too confining. I like seeing different interpretations of the character, the Kilmer/Clooney versions were regrettable though :facepalm:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know if it's really necessary to try and build a singular Batman into a DCEU type world, that seems to be in vogue these days however.. He may be the only hero that I can say that about. The character has been explored in comics in about every conceivable way, different versions, timelines, time periods etc. and trying to limit him to one timeline seems too confining. I like seeing different interpretations of the character, the Kilmer/Clooney versions were regrettable though :facepalm:
I agree IF Warner Brothers Discovery abandons the DCEU and fully adopts an Elseworld type strategy. Then they can have as many unique Batman stories and multiple actors to play the character as often as they want because there is no continuity to link anything together.

Thing is, there is another Elseworlds movie already established along with the recent The Batman in Joker. And it is headed for a sequel (a musical :facepalm:) with the same male lead actor playing the villain. If that will become WBD's strategy, it would suggest Robert Pattinson will get more movies as Batman also. Not saying Joker and Batman will intersect with each other. Just saying it would be doubtful multiple actors would play Batman within a short timespan because the actor would finish their run first before another actor would take over.

nobody

Reaction score
I found this article:

https://insidethemagic.net/2022/09/brie-larson-captain-marvel-interview-dr1/

There are six or so additional articles linked to it. Does it and the others provide a reasonable summary describing public resentment with Brie Larson in your opinion?

My opinion is that I don't really care. She was on the attack since before Captain Marvel came out. She earned some of the dislike. She didn't deserve all of it and still doesn't. I'm just not a fan. I have no desire to see her fail or succeed. I'm indifferent.

nobody

Reaction score
Is it the light show surrounding Danvers that gives you the impression she is displaying Binary powers?

If so, that imagery is the Infinity Space Stone/Tesseract energies manifesting itself around her.

Remember in this film version, Carol was infused with cosmic power when Mar-Vell's experimental starship engine exploded when she shot it to prevent Yon-Rogg getting his hands on it.

Given what we've seen her do, she's much closer to her Binary level power than her Captain Marvel level power.. That's fine. It's not a big problem but it does present a challenge and gives her some of the same problems as Superman movies.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

quickccc

Reaction score
My bad. You introduced Spider-Man, Superman and Batman into the discussion and I misunderstood since I did not see any correlation.
Now Terrence Howard for Don Cheadle was a 100% replacement, so I agree. That was unfortunate in my opinion because I really like Howard.

However, Rhodey is a supporting character in the Iron Man franchise. That change would not be equivalent to the transition of a main character. I doubt many of the franchise's audience base thought very much of the switch. And Cheadle has done a fantastic job after taking over.
No. I disagree.

Shuri is not replacing T'Challa. Letitia Wright will not be assuming Chadwick Boseman's role.

Shuri would be taking up the mantle of the Black Panther, just as her brother and their ancestors did before her. Perhaps that is the point I am not communicating very well. Disney, Marvel and Coogler are not allowing another actor to assume the role of T'Challa, King of Wakanda, who was played by Boseman. That is what my comments have been based upon and underscore why I agreed with the decision to not replace Boseman in the MCU.
Honestly, I am confused by that assumption. I was under the impression that most fans of al the Netflix series did not understand Disney's delay incorporating those shows into its streaming service library.

After Disney rectified that circumstance, I thought public discourse centered upon whether the studio would revive those series and their cast under its streaming umbrella. Then

appearances by Charlie Cox as Matt Murdoch in Spider-Man: No Way Home and Vincent D'Onofrio in Hawkeye

...seemingly squashed all speculation about the integration of the Netflix shows into the Disney MCU. I thought overall reaction changed from doubt to satisfaction that Disney was finally doing "the right thing."

However, you were stunned. I am curious. I mean, yeah. It is a fact that Disney revamps their stuff all the time. Sleeping Beauty. Cinderella. The Lion King. Beauty and the Beast. The Little Mermaid next year. Etc. There is no denying Disney's retro tendency but they have been applying the process to re-energize and attract newer and bigger audiences.

Yet, that tendency has historically involved its own previously produced material. These series were under the Netflix umbrella. And they were worked for Netflix. Why would the studio redo what worked, with actors and characters audiences well-remembered from a very recent past?

Heck. I would be very puzzled why Disney would re-cast Charlie Cox. To me, he is very "Disney friendly." I think the same of Mike Colter and Krysten Ritter (even with the alcoholism).

Now, Jon Bernthal is debatable as Disney friendly. The question is still unanswered whether the studio will assimilate Bernthal's series level of violence into a reboot of that series. I would think they would be utter ignorant to "revamp" The Punisher but it would not be surprising they would replace Bernthal within the show's continuity to "lighten" its viewing quality (vomit).

I am really rambling.

Disney can re-cast Finn Jones for Iron Fist. Although I like Jones, a replacement would not surprise me and I doubt many in the audience would care. I would care if they replaced Jessica Henwick though. :mad:

Yeah. I'm rambling bad. :laugh:

Please understand that I wasn’t referring to Disney taking over the netlix library of Marvel series, I was more referring to Disney Studio aimed at
producing (rebooting?) their own version of Marvel series including Daredevil - while retaining and returning the actors from the Netflix’s’ DD series.

With Shuri, I meant her as regarding to taking the lead role, both as a character lead as Shuri, and in her Panther armor.
Admittedly I dunno anything about her Letitia Wright, and her acting background, either the studio and Coogler are very
well aware, familiar and confident with Wright to entrust her to be the immediate and long term lead, .or they are ‘gambling’ all out
to entrust her in a lead role.

And you know that lead role will likely include Non-Panther armor fighting scenes.
And I’m assuming she has had “ workout” trials ? To see if she is up to par for such a task ?

Hey I didn’t realize Geena Davis could wonderfully seized and portray the role of a female opened-up can of whoop Aaaa feline
as she was in “ The Long Kiss Goodnight “, Ditto for Zoe Salandor in her " Columbiana" flick., ..so maybe same willl hold for a non- Panther armored Letitia Wright, too ?

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
Honestly, I am confused by that assumption. I was under the impression that most fans of al the Netflix series did not understand Disney's delay incorporating those shows into its streaming service library.

After Disney rectified that circumstance, I thought public discourse centered upon whether the studio would revive those series and their cast under its streaming umbrella. Then

appearances by Charlie Cox as Matt Murdoch in Spider-Man: No Way Home and Vincent D'Onofrio in Hawkeye

...seemingly squashed all speculation about the integration of the Netflix shows into the Disney MCU. I thought overall reaction changed from doubt to satisfaction that Disney was finally doing "the right thing."

However, you were stunned. I am curious. I mean, yeah. It is a fact that Disney revamps their stuff all the time. Sleeping Beauty. Cinderella. The Lion King. Beauty and the Beast. The Little Mermaid next year. Etc. There is no denying Disney's retro tendency but they have been applying the process to re-energize and attract newer and bigger audiences.

Yet, that tendency has historically involved its own previously produced material. These series were under the Netflix umbrella. And they were worked for Netflix. Why would the studio redo what worked, with actors and characters audiences well-remembered from a very recent past?

Heck. I would be very puzzled why Disney would re-cast Charlie Cox. To me, he is very "Disney friendly." I think the same of Mike Colter and Krysten Ritter (even with the alcoholism).

Now, Jon Bernthal is debatable as Disney friendly. The question is still unanswered whether the studio will assimilate Bernthal's series level of violence into a reboot of that series. I would think they would be utter ignorant to "revamp" The Punisher but it would not be surprising they would replace Bernthal within the show's continuity to "lighten" its viewing quality (vomit).

I am really rambling.

Disney can re-cast Finn Jones for Iron Fist. Although I like Jones, a replacement would not surprise me and I doubt many in the audience would care. I would care if they replaced Jessica Henwick though. :mad:

Yeah. I'm rambling bad. :laugh:

Why would the studio redo what worked, with actors and characters audiences well-remembered from a very recent past ? “

As I previously mentioned before, studios tend to want, prefer to present their own versions.
Can you name and recall a Reboot where it returned and carried over previous leading starring actors from the original ?
That’s just not heard of. - Highly unusual.

Netflix Marvel series seemed more directed towards a more darker, more gore and more violent format, where as Disney aims to be more of a watered down to it’s more family oriented tolerant.
format.
We wont likely see an scene with Disney’s where Wilson Fisk is bashing and caving in a skull head with the car door. That was the Netflix format and style !
Disney will very likely be far lesser, far different.

With Jon Bernthal’s Punisher. i expect Disney will simply water down the more violent gore scenes that we experienced The Punisher in Netflix.
With returning Charlie Cox, Bernthal, etc. I’m just completely guess-working that the faces and names were so popular and attached to viewing ongoing Marvel fans
and new audiences that Disney is making the puzzling decision to keep the fan attachment.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I previously mentioned before, studios tend to want, prefer to present their own versions.
Can you name and recall a Reboot where it returned and carried over previous leading starring actors from the original ?
That’s just not heard of. - Highly unusual.
That's the thing. Why would reboots of the multiple Netflix series be considered? From my own personal perspective, I was not stunned because I did not expect Disney to produce reboots of them. Why would the studio fix what was not broken?

quickccc

Reaction score
That's the thing. Why would reboots of the multiple Netflix series be considered? From my own personal perspective, I was not stunned because I did not expect Disney to produce reboots of them. Why would the studio fix what was not broken?

Since they are returning the same original actors, I would have my doubts if they "reboot" the entire series, from scratch.
In this Disney case, My expectations is that Disney will make the decision and choose to pick up where competitor Netflix left off, instead of doing a complete from scratch of everything.

I am actually very elated and estatic ('stunned") that they decided to do.

My point again,, Whether series or movies, Studios generally want/prefer want a chance at remaking a successful film or popular genre figure in their own image and presentation- regardless
of success of the original.