Comics and Movies

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never realized (or maybe I just forgot) that Bishop absorbs energy. I don't remember him being able to shoot electricity or whatever that was from his hands either.
zYfAHzj.gif

Bishop's main mutant ability is absorbing and redirecting energy. He is a bad matchup for an opponent like Gambit, lol.

Days of Future Past did not do a great job (among other things) of translating it. The 90's series has the best example.

HIs redirected energy blasts are bio-kinetic. He can absorb lightning but he does not projected it in that form.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Confused about Marvel's new direction?

Here are some Youtubes I found showing what is confirmed. More cancellations confirmed than anything. All those post-credit sequences and large timelines they like to present at conventions mean squat now. If a movie flops, they don't continue. Disney Plus is the big loser. They say it costs too much to do the FX on those with no theater profit. They are trimming the fat. Most of the obscure characters or spin-offs are going away unless it was already made. Keeping it simple, more like the first Marvel movies.

Deadpool 3 is the only movie this year and they're using the famous Deadpool 4th wall comedy as a device to also redesign the storylines. Was the only movie they were confident enough to release this year as they scrap and re-do the whole MCU franchise.

Confirmed cancelled movies:
  • Antman 4 (Antman 3 didn't do well enough)
  • Eternals 2 (First one didn't receive well. Was only supposed to be an X-Men alternative, but they have rights to it now.)
  • Avengers 5: Kang Dynasty (Avengers 5 still on, Jonathan Majors out but rumors of re-casting, Avengers 5 still on but no one knows official story)
  • A-Force (the female Avengers movie, think of that scene in last Avengers movies where they are all fighting together, Captain Marvel 2 was the girl power test and didn't do well)
  • Captain Marvel 3 (see above)
Confirmed cancelled Disney Plus series:
  • Ironman Armor Wars (too expensive
  • She-Hulk Season 2 (too expensive)
  • Echo Season 2 (too obscure)
Confirmed cancelled one-shots (these were supposed to be short movies on Disney Plus, mostly cancelled because too expensive or just want to simplify):
  • Silver Surfer
  • Scarlett Witch vs Agatha
  • Sentry (was supposed to be origin story to setup Thunderbolts movie, will be merged into it)
  • Ghost Rider (rumor is goes to Doctor Strange sequel or Midnight Sons movie)
  • Vision
Confirmed greenlight movies: (but could change or be cancelled, still greenlit for now though)
  • Shang-Chi 2
  • Captain America 4 (many re-shoots, pushed back, supposedly Nomad's Capt America character and Captain Marvel the new leaders of Avengers like Iron Man and Capt America were, Red Hulk confirmed)
  • Avengers 5 and 6 (supposed to still be doing Secret Wars story, but no Kang, rumor is Doctor Doom is new big bad guy)
  • Midnight Sons (see video game, the "dark" avengers)
  • Nova (rumor is they may cancel though and merge into the better producing Guardians of Galaxy IV)
  • Fantastic Four (see posts here on official cast)
  • X-Men
  • Spider-Man 4
  • Venom 3 (rumor is Spider-Man will be in it too, confirmed as last one but Marvel will keep Kevin Hardy/Venom in other stuff)
  • Thor 5
  • Thunderbolts (pushed back, but still greenlit)
  • Blade (actor reportedly didn't like all the scripts, and finally have one they agree on)
Confirmed greenlight Disney Plus series: (rumor is anything already finished, they will go ahead and release, unlike DC)
  • Ironheart (young Ironman version, already finished)
  • Daredevil
Supposedly greenlit:
  • Young Avengers
  • solo Scarlett Witch movie
Craziest rumor:
  • DC's Superman actor Henry Cavill is confirmed for a Marvel role but no one knows what it is yet. Some rumors are saying he might be the new Wolverine.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
zYfAHzj.gif

Bishop's main mutant ability is absorbing and redirecting energy. He is a bad matchup for an opponent like Gambit, lol.

Days of Future Past did not do a great job (among other things) of translating it. The 90's series has the best example.

HIs redirected energy blasts are bio-kinetic. He can absorb lightning but he does not projected it in that form.
I watched the 90's series, and read several issues of the comics around that time, so I must have just forgotten. I was thinking he was from the future and just used weapons. I guess I was thinking of Cable?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched the 90's series, and read several issues of the comics around that time, so I must have just forgotten. I was thinking he was from the future and just used weapons. I guess I was thinking of Cable?
Maybe so. The 90's show did focus more on Nathan Summers futuristic arsenal than his mutant abilities if I recall. I do not remember his appearances showing him using telepathy (maybe he did whenever he was talking with his ship..?) or telekinesis. Cable wields some wicked psionic blasts, on par with Psylocke.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Maybe so. The 90's show did focus more on Nathan Summers futuristic arsenal than his mutant abilities if I recall. I do not remember his appearances showing him using telepathy (maybe he did whenever he was talking with his ship..?) or telekinesis. Cable wields some wicked psionic blasts, on par with Psylocke.
I don't know, I guess it's probably just that, because he carries a weapon, I never thought of him as being one.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know, I guess it's probably just that, because he carries a weapon, I never thought of him as being one.
Do you mean not thinking of Nathan as a mutant? The character breakdown was fairly simple in regards to the 90's series. Senator Kelly and the 'human first' proponents (e.g. protestors, students' parents, etc.) were non-mutants. Practically everyone else were mutants. :)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you mean not thinking of Nathan as a mutant? The character breakdown was fairly simple in regards to the 90's series. Senator Kelly and the 'human first' proponents (e.g. protestors, students' parents, etc.) were non-mutants. Practically everyone else were mutants. :)
I remember making ‘investments’ in X-MEN comics back when Gambit and then Bishop debuted (The Uncanny X-Men #282). I think I still have a few copies.

:laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Don't forget, while I liked the X-MEN, I don't go that deep into anything. I only read the comics that my roommate had, and watched the TV show. I was never really concerned with back stories and specifics about every character and their abilities...I had a life at the time.
:muttley:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't forget, while I liked the X-MEN, I don't go that deep into anything. I only read the comics that my roommate had, and watched the TV show. I was never really concerned with back stories and specifics about every character and their abilities...I had a life at the time.
:muttley:
Understood. A reader must really get into the books to discern differences between regular superheroes and supervillains from their mutant counterparts. Another thing was how characters were presented back in the day by the two main publishers, Marvel and DC.

Marvel started with mutants from the beginning in the 60's. The concept did not catch on as far as popularity until the mid-70's, when new mutant characters like Wolverine, Storm and Thunderbird were introduced into the comic book title franchise. That was when the mutant concept finally started branching out into popular culture.

Everyone copycats rivals. I do not remember when exactly but DC eventually got around to introducing its version of mutants. They called them metahumans instead.

DC was not satisfied with jumping on the mutant train late, so they remade some old characters' origins as meta-gene based instead. Beast Boy is a good example. The old story was Garfield getting his animal changing powers from a chemical that his father gave him to save his life. DC edited his origin to include his meta-gene being activated and that's what actually makes him morph into any animal he wants. DC has been so stupid through the years. :rolleyes:

Sorry about that. Nerded out for a sec. Or two or three. :laugh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • Eternals 2 (First one didn't receive well. Was only supposed to be an X-Men alternative, but they have rights to it now.)

Scratching my head for why Eternals would be made as an X-Men alternative. Disney acquired 20th Century Fox and started produection for Eternals in 2019 but the FOX takeover was announced in 2017. So, the studio knew it would have full rights to the X-Men characters two years prior to sinking money into Eternals? And several additional years before an Eternals sequel would be greenlit?

:huh:

I was more onboard with She-Hulk: Attorney At Law and Echo second seasons than Armor Wars. For me, Ironheart would be satisfying enough in that area.

Confirmed cancelled one-shots (these were supposed to be short movies on Disney Plus, mostly cancelled because too expensive or just want to simplify):
  • Silver Surfer

This turn shall NOT make @quickccc's day. :muttley:

Confirmed greenlight movies: (but could change or be cancelled, still greenlit for now though)
  • Shang-Chi 2
  • X-Men
  • Blade (actor reportedly didn't like all the scripts, and finally have one they agree on)

I may go to Hollywood, turn into the Hulk, and go on a rampage if ANY of the above four are cancelled. :mad: DallasEast smash.

Confirmed greenlight Disney Plus series: (rumor is anything already finished, they will go ahead and release, unlike DC)
  • Daredevil
:thumbup:

Craziest rumor:
  • DC's Superman actor Henry Cavill is confirmed for a Marvel role but no one knows what it is yet. Some rumors are saying he might be the new Wolverine.
Personally, I do not see Cavill as a Jackman successor but he is capable of pulling it off well.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Scratching my head for why Eternals would be made as an X-Men alternative. Disney acquired 20th Century Fox and started produection for Eternals in 2019 but the FOX takeover was announced in 2017. So, the studio knew it would have full rights to the X-Men characters two years prior to sinking money into Eternals? And several additional years before an Eternals sequel would be greenlit?

I was more onboard with She-Hulk: Attorney At Law and Echo second seasons than Armor Wars. For me, Ironheart would be satisfying enough in that area.

I may go to Hollywood, turn into the Hulk, and go on a rampage if ANY of the above four are cancelled. :mad: DallasEast smash.

Personally, I do not see Cavill as a Jackman successor but he is capable of pulling it off well.
Wasn't The Inhumans supposed to be the X-Men of the MCU prior to Disney landing FOX?

Cavill is linked to a few characters. Captain Britain and Hyperion are a couple I've heard rumored.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasn't The Inhumans supposed to be the X-Men of the MCU prior to Disney landing FOX?
I think that was Disney's original goal but the television series was pathetically bad. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. tried introducing the concepts of the Kree and Inhumans earlier but did not link the species to the royal family's story (at least not in a way I recall).

The setup was already poor. Then the series debuted in the fall of 2017. It flopped. Disney started the acquisition of FOX that December. Any likely chance of Inhumans being a serious MCU alternative for the mutants died with it.

Add in the Ms. Marvel element and Inhumans are even less likely. Kamala Khan's original Inhuman origin was hinted as changed to the X-Gene in her Disney+ series. It makes me wonder how strongly the studio will recognize the Inhuman series in relation to the MCU from this point forward.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Top YouTube link explains Eternals. Not only are movies in pre-production very early but no one expected the Disney/FOX merger and negotiations to happen so fast. They thought they were going to have wait longer (or may never happen) for X-Men to be in the fold, but it’s a no brainer for them to spend money on X-Men films instead of more Eternals sequels. Especially with their new (returned) CEO forcing them to focus on the proven marketable content.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Cavill is linked to a few characters. Captain Britain and Hyperion are a couple I've heard rumored.
Yeah, that is what everyone assumes on Cavill since he’s British, but more people are pushing the Wolverine rumor with the new CEO going away from obscure characters.

Main thing I would say is look at the ages on if it makes sense, isn’t Cavill in his early 40s and Jackman in his early 50’s? Feels that way based on how long I’ve seen both of them on movies and TV.

I’m not sure that’s a wise recasting if you’re not gaining much youth, and you truly are intent on producing a new long franchise?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Confused about Marvel's new direction?

Here are some Youtubes I found showing what is confirmed. More cancellations confirmed than anything. All those post-credit sequences and large timelines they like to present at conventions mean squat now. If a movie flops, they don't continue. Disney Plus is the big loser. They say it costs too much to do the FX on those with no theater profit. They are trimming the fat. Most of the obscure characters or spin-offs are going away unless it was already made. Keeping it simple, more like the first Marvel movies.

Deadpool 3 is the only movie this year and they're using the famous Deadpool 4th wall comedy as a device to also redesign the storylines. Was the only movie they were confident enough to release this year as they scrap and re-do the whole MCU franchise.

• Antman 4 (Antman 3 didn't do well enough)
  • Avengers 5: Kang Dynasty (Avengers 5 still on, Jonathan Majors out but rumors of re-casting, Avengers 5 still on but no one knows official story)
  • A-Force (the female Avengers movie, think of that scene in last Avengers movies where they are all fighting together, Captain Marvel 2 was the girl power test and didn't do well)
  • Captain Marvel 3 (see above)
  • Silver Surfer
  • Scarlett Witch vs Agatha
  • Sentry (was supposed to be origin story to setup Thunderbolts movie, will be merged into it)
  • Ghost Rider (rumor is goes to Doctor Strange sequel or Midnight Sons movie)
  • Vision
  • Shang-Chi 2
  • Captain America 4 (many re-shoots, pushed back, supposedly Nomad's Capt America character and Captain Marvel the new leaders of Avengers like Iron Man and Capt America were, Red Hulk confirmed)
  • Avengers 5 and 6 (supposed to still be doing Secret Wars story, but no Kang, rumor is Doctor Doom is new big bad guy)
  • Midnight Sons (see video game, the "dark" avengers)
  • Nova (rumor is they may cancel though and merge into the better producing Guardians of Galaxy IV)
  • X-Men
  • Spider-Man 4
  • Venom 3 (rumor is Spider-Man will be in it too, confirmed as last one but Marvel will keep Kevin Hardy/Venom in other stuff)
  • Thor 5
  • Thunderbolts (pushed back, but still greenlit)
  • Daredevil
Supposedly greenlit:
  • Young Avengers
  • solo Scarlett Witch movie
Craziest rumor:

It looks to me like there’s a lot of rumors here without confirmation.

Last thing I read stated that Vision Quest is still happening.

Armor Wars as well, now a movie rather than a TV series.

Others listed as cancelled were never announced.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, that is what everyone assumes on Cavill since he’s British, but more people are pushing the Wolverine rumor with the new CEO going away from obscure characters.

Main thing I would say is look at the ages on if it makes sense, isn’t Cavill in his early 40s and Jackman in his early 50’s? Feels that way based on how long I’ve seen both of them on movies and TV.

I’m not sure that’s a wise recasting if you’re not gaining much youth, and you truly are intent on producing a new long franchise?
I’m wondering if it’s not just some joke one-off like John Krazinski as Reese Richards in Doctor Strange.

I would definitely that they signed Cavill for a more important role but Wolverine isn’t it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Top YouTube link explains Eternals. Not only are movies in pre-production very early but no one expected the Disney/FOX merger and negotiations to happen so fast. They thought they were going to have wait longer (or may never happen) for X-Men to be in the fold, but it’s a no brainer for them to spend money on X-Men films instead of more Eternals sequels. Especially with their new (returned) CEO forcing them to focus on the proven marketable content.
Can you give a timestamp on the video? I tried Emergency Awesome's stuff several years ago but was not fond of his style of wild speculation. I am interested in what he had to say about Eternals specifically. The confirmed Eternals timeline so far:
April 2015: Marvel taps writer-producer John Ridley for an Eternals television series [link]. Ridley confirms the series identity in 2024 [link]​
January 2017: A script re-write was corroborated [link]​
December 2017: Disney announces the beginning of its $52 merger of FOX/acknowledges regulatory review may take as long as 18 months [link]​
April 2018: Kevin Feige verifies Eternals' development phase [link] stating: "Eternals’ is one of many, many, many things that we are actively beginning to have creative discussions about to see if we believe in them enough to put them on a slate. We have started working on what are the films post-phase 3."​
May 2018: Writers Matthew and Ryan Firpo hired for Eternals' script [link]​
September 2018: Director Chloé Zhao brought on board [link]​
Granted, any corporate merger is not a certainty when it is initiated. Government bureaucracy has dissolved a number of attempts in history. However, extensive planning is done prior to any merger, especially for those involving tens of billions of dollars to cement deals. Details like the acquisition and eventual use of intellectual properties is investigated thoroughly beforehand.

Spit-balling.

Ridley has an idea for an Eternals television series. He pitches the idea but it gets put into Hollywood limbo. That is not an unusual occurrence but it does make Feige aware of Eternals TV possibility.

Two years past. Disney removes all doubt it wants X-Men and all other intellectual properties under 20th Century Fox's roof. Feige knows Disney is making a $52 billion dollar play for the X-Men franchise in relation to his Marvel Cinematic Universe.

However, Feige initiates plans (e.g. pre-production) for utilizing Eternals as an X-Men alternative as a post-Phase 3 movie? Within four months of the merger announcement? A course of action that he has convinced his studio to invest $100 - $200 million to produce? And Feige already knows the studio is '$52 billion dollars certain' it will own the real deal in the very near future?

Yes. I am interested in hearing Emergency Awesome's spin. Not to the degree of watching thirteen minutes of his stuff to get to only what I would like to hear but interested. :) [Edit] I tried going to YouTube to scan the video's transcript for the specific passage instead but he has the transcript feature turned off.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It looks to me like there’s a lot of rumors here without confirmation.

Last thing I read stated that Vision Quest is still happening.

Armor Wars as well, now a movie rather than a TV series.

Others listed as cancelled were never announced.
I am not as familiar with The Cosmic Wonder's YouTube channel but Emergency Awesome used to post really... elaborate... video commentary when I came across his stuff in the past. Maybe that has changed since then.

I am also not a fan of creators making fake trailers. Some put out stuff good enough to look like the actual studio product. It bites the second I realized, "What the hell? I have seen this before." :muttley:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I’m wondering if it’s not just some joke one-off like John Krazinski as Reese Richards in Doctor Strange.

I would definitely that they signed Cavill for a more important role but Wolverine isn’t it.
I know Dallas East stated that the emergency awesome videos are not always accurate, but this just confirmed what Henry Cavill is playing. I have no idea what his sources are but I’m going to put it as a spoiler. You’re right on though about your speculation.

Cavill is playing Wolverine, mainly as a joke to the fan videos that had him casted as Wolverine for a long time, same as Krasinski as Reed Richards. Video also says there will be several joke versions of Wolverine in Deadpool 3, including the Harry Potter actor, Daniel Radcliffe as Wolverine. LOL. I guess he was another one that fans speculated in role a lot on those trailer fakes.

quickccc

Reaction score

(sigh) ..yeh who would have ever thought Disney, with all of their many quantities of average ho-hum superhero gumps, would find Silver Surfer as " too expensive" .

That's probably what is adding to the deflated backlash of superhero burnt out that the public is apparently feeling right now.
Way too many quantity of the ho-hum superheroes, and not enuff of the sure fire well known hits such as Silver Surfer.

BTW, .. if done properly, a seriously well done Green Lantern would an ideal hit, imo. (Not the comical Sci-Fi channel joke Ryan Reynolds did)

* I'm just hoping Disney has a near future Silver Surfer film saved in it's back pocket, until they finally release the Reboot and new introduction of the new (and improved ?) Fantastic 4, .. which is critical to spin offs such as Silver Surfer ,and introduction of Galactus - and the real Galactus not a mere ridiculous ,dark cosmic rain cloud (per Tim Story) - Uuugh !)

ffbedcb27e2ea1beabb395d4d782d80f.jpg