Comics and Movies

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Love the Joseph Quinn pick for Johnny Storm. :starspin:

Holding my breath on Pedro Pascal as Dr. Richards. He is a very good pick if the script is sound AND he is allowed to play the role within his acting strengths. He will be a dumb pick if they make him into something he is not on screen, like in Wonder Woman 1984. Then again, that would apply to any actor.

Iffy too on Vanessa Kirby as Sue Storm. I have seen her in Fast & Furious but I have not watched her Mission: Impossible or The Crown roles. I *think* she can handle the action part of her role but *seeing* her as The Invisible Woman* might take me a sec. She will not make me forget how good Jessica Alba looked as Susan but she should easily beat her predecessors dramatically (unless the script is pathetic).

Ebon Moss-Bachrach does give me a good vibe as Benjamin Grimm. The role has been filled, so I am now concerned just how often they will show an NON mutanted The Thing. I will be okay with seeing him outside of costume during flashbacks, bonding with Reed for instance. I will be pissed if they go against canon, like Dr. Fate in Black Adam, where actor swaps from character to alter ego back to character, yada yada yada. Also hope they stay AWAY from canon and start The Thing in brick form instead of his mud form.
Yeah, I just can't picture Pascal in the role at all. But then, I probably would have thought the same of Heath Ledger as Joker.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I just can't picture Pascal in the role at all. But then, I probably would have thought the same of Heath Ledger as Joker.
Off-topic but I would put Heath Ledger's portrayal of The Joker (although brief) right there with everything Robert Downey Jr. did as Tony Stark/Iron Man. For me, both actors put 1000% effort into making their characters true, live-action reflections of their paperback counterparts.

Heck. Just thinking back on The Dark Knight still gives me goosebumps. Jack Nicholson was great in a slapstick sort of way. Joaquin Phoenix showed who The Joker was down deep.

Ledger? That man killed it. His death was a true tragedy. His rendition was a supporting role but it was a legendary performance also.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Off-topic but I would put Heath Ledger's portrayal of The Joker (although brief) right there with everything Robert Downey Jr. did as Tony Stark/Iron Man. For me, both actors put 1000% effort into making their characters true, live-action reflections of their paperback counterparts.

Heck. Just thinking back on The Dark Knight still gives me goosebumps. Jack Nicholson was great in a slapstick sort of way. Joaquin Phoenix showed who The Joker was down deep.

Ledger? That man killed it. His death was a true tragedy. His rendition was a supporting role but it was a legendary performance also.
Oh I'd put Ledger's performance above Downey's. RDj was great, but in some ways, he was probably being himself. Ledger was scaring his costars. Lol

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh I'd put Ledger's performance above Downey's. RDj was great, but in some ways, he was probably being himself. Ledger was scaring his costars. Lol
Agreed but I was referring more to the making their characters' authentic at the highest level. Many of their peers have done great jobs too but I think they are at the top of the heap.

Perhaps I should not have excluded Ryan Reynolds. I do not want to end up on his deadpool. :laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Agreed but I was referring more to the making their characters' authentic at the highest level. Many of their peers have done great jobs too but I think they are at the top of the heap.

Perhaps I should not have excluded Ryan Reynolds. I do not want to end up on his deadpool. :laugh:
Until the Deadpool movie, my only knowledge of the character was that horrible fight with Wolverine. If that's how the character was written, Reynolds was created in a lab to play the part, because that's exactly what his personality and sense of humor is.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Until the Deadpool movie, my only knowledge of the character was that horrible fight with Wolverine. If that's how the character was written, Reynolds was created in a lab to play the part, because that's exactly what his personality and sense of humor is.
Bold> Are you referring to X-Men Origins: Wolverine? If so, take my advice and scrub that scene and movie from your brain. Reynolds was perfectly cast as Wilson but that movie did his character, and pretty much everything else, wrong.

Reynolds captures Wilson's personality and humor perfectly--straight from the comic book page--in the Deadpool movies. It is the primary reason why I hold both Deadpool movies in higher regard than some of their audience.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It seems like it was kinda reversed in a way, it's not that Reynolds was born/created to play Deadpool, but the character was actually created based on Reynolds himself. He's not really playing Deadpool, he's just playing himself.

nobody

Reaction score
It seems like it was kinda reversed in a way, it's not that Reynolds was born/created to play Deadpool, but the character was actually created based on Reynolds himself. He's not really playing Deadpool, he's just playing himself.
That's inaccurate. The scripted movie version was based on Reynolds himself. But Deadpool first appeared in comics in 1990. Ryan Reynolds was 14 in 1990 and not famous...ergo Deadpool could not have been based on Reynolds. :)

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
That's inaccurate. The scripted movie version was based on Reynolds himself. But Deadpool first appeared in comics in 1990. Ryan Reynolds was 14 in 1990 and not famous...ergo Deadpool could not have been based on Reynolds. :)
I did know he first appeared in 1990, I didn't say he was based on Reynolds, but it just seems that way. His personality just seems to match the character to the point it feels like he's portraying an alter ego of himself.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did know he first appeared in 1990, I didn't say he was based on Reynolds, but it just seems that way. His personality just seems to match the character to the point it feels like he's portraying an alter ego of himself.
I have told this story in the past. Ryan Reynolds gave me two impressions in 2004 playing Hannibal King in Blade: Trinity. He did not give me the impressions playing Van Wilder in National Lampoon earlier.

Reynolds gave me Hal Jordan and Wade Wilson vibes. I could *see* him playing both perfectly BUT Green Lantern needed a dramatic portrayal, which he was not really known for at the time. Or at least not what I knew he was capable of.

Needless to say, I was a little excited he would do Deadpool first in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. My disappointment would be an understatement. "Let's put Hugh Jackman in another movie! Yeah! And a few more characters we don't understand too! YEAH!"

Whatever. A few years later, my other impression came true BUT it ended up Van Wilder playing as The Emerald Crusader. smh.

Reynolds was proactive in getting Deadpool done the right way. It paid off for him. Thank goodness the third time around was the charm, lol.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cyclops saying, "To me, my X-Men." just sounded so wrong.
The new series is a continuation of the first one, so I took it as a tribute to his professor per the final episode. As such, I have a feeling Scott will not be saying it too often ;) but I could be wrong also.

I am just happy to see a firm release date. :)

quickccc

Reaction score
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl1379697409/weekend/?ref_=bo_rl_tab#tabs

MV5BYWJkY2Q4NmYtOGRlMi00YTg5LWE2ZmQtY2NkYzk3YTRmNWZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY3ODkyNDkz._V1_SY139_CR1,0,92,139_.jpg

What a knuckle head I am ... i assumed Madame Web would be a Disney series .. not a full featured movie.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Love the Joseph Quinn pick for Johnny Storm. :starspin:

Holding my breath on Pedro Pascal as Dr. Richards. He is a very good pick if the script is sound AND he is allowed to play the role within his acting strengths. He will be a dumb pick if they make him into something he is not on screen, like in Wonder Woman 1984. Then again, that would apply to any actor.

Iffy too on Vanessa Kirby as Sue Storm. I have seen her in Fast & Furious but I have not watched her Mission: Impossible or The Crown roles. I *think* she can handle the action part of her role but *seeing* her as The Invisible Woman* might take me a sec. She will not make me forget how good Jessica Alba looked as Susan but she should easily beat her predecessors dramatically (unless the script is pathetic).

Ebon Moss-Bachrach does give me a good vibe as Benjamin Grimm. The role has been filled, so I am now concerned just how often they will show an NON mutanted The Thing. I will be okay with seeing him outside of costume during flashbacks, bonding with Reed for instance. I will be pissed if they go against canon, like Dr. Fate in Black Adam, where actor swaps from character to alter ego back to character, yada yada yada. Also hope they stay AWAY from canon and start The Thing in brick form instead of his mud form.
Pascal will be fine. He’s a bad arse actor. I hope they get a real thespian to play Doctor Doom too. There should be epic drama between those two if you want to do the FF right.

I’m guessing The Thing will be all CGI now? Looking forward to that. More like The Hulk in the new Marvel movies.

Human Torch going to look better now too with today’s CGI, and be able to show some cool power effects now for Sue Storm although a naked Jessica Alba is hard to beat. ;)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1pJA5yx.png

Thought about posting this in the streaming television thread but thought it may be better suited for this thread. Avatar: The Last Airbender (different avatar/no tall blue people lol) is the live-action adaptation of the children's Nickelodeon animated series from nearly 20 years ago. The original show was targeted for the network's main audience but has garnered a cult following among adults as well. It had underlining themes that dealt with, as co-creator Bryan Konietzko said, genocide, totalitarianism, systemic injustice, abuse, etc.

Personally, I give Nickelodeon credit for allowing such a well-made, almost a relatively sweeping epic, dealing with stuff children do not normally see like it, into its programming lineup. No one should get me wrong. It is a kids' show. It is also much more than that.

(Rambling) That is why I had much trepidation in M. Night Shyamalan directing a feature movie of the show. It expectedly bombed (and added to my dislike of the man's work since The Sixth Sense and Signs). The new attempt, in series form, is a much MUCH better animation-to-live action translation. I am four episodes in and it is getting better as it goes along. I found a good but fair review of the new series (link):

3 1/2 of 5 stars
Based on the acclaimed animated Nickelodeon television series, Avatar: The Last Airbender is an action-adventure fantasy series developed by Albert Kim. The series follows Aang, a young man training to harness the four elements to live up to the title of Avatar - the one who will restore balance to the world.​
Pros
  • The live-action series gets the characters and story right overall
  • The fight sequences are great, as is the variety of bending
  • The cast is great and they really grow into their roles
Cons
  • The special effects are not always that great
  • The series has a shaky start due to heavy exposition

Heavy exposition is unfortunately true. Fans of the original show will have zero problem with picking up the backstory. We already know it. Then again, I hope old fans will be patient with any new fans this show may attract because the original series took its time explaining the backstory over a number of episodes during its first season.

quickccc

Reaction score
Pascal will be fine. He’s a bad arse actor. I hope they get a real thespian to play Doctor Doom too. There should be epic drama between those two if you want to do the FF right.

I’m guessing The Thing will be all CGI now? Looking forward to that. More like The Hulk in the new Marvel movies.

Human Torch going to look better now too with today’s CGI, and be able to show some cool power effects now for Sue Storm although a naked Jessica Alba is hard to beat. ;)
Frankly i really think they should follow the way of Thanos per Josh Brolin in last 2 Avengers movies, half makeup, body costume and half CGI,

We saw what happened with A.I image impression that rolled right over to the failure of the She Hulk series, imo.

and the last Thing in a movie that was featured (2015) was an abysmal look.

Maybe they can get away with a CGI Hulk in the Avengers movies since
1) he either does Not have speaking roles and is a pure CGI image.
2) or they try to make him " intellect" nerdy Hulk, ( and with eye glasses? .. whaaat ?!!)
which is still a very watered down, can't take serious Hulk that is a far different than enraged, rampage Hulk, .
Imo, that didn't fly in the comics,... nor the Avengers Earth mightiest heroes animation series,...
just as it did not fly in the last Avengers flick and She Hulk series, imo.

maybe it's an " to each to his own thang" , ..but Hulk easily has been the most the mishandled MCU character, imo

The Thing per Tim Story - FF movie
c39a8e3eaf863efd7cc01517b3efa9b5.jpg

Thing - per 2015 FF movie
10d9f9c87017353fa31c9eb2431bc25a.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score
I have told this story in the past. Ryan Reynolds gave me two impressions in 2004 playing Hannibal King in Blade: Trinity. He did not give me the impressions playing Van Wilder in National Lampoon earlier.

Reynolds gave me Hal Jordan and Wade Wilson vibes. I could *see* him playing both perfectly BUT Green Lantern needed a dramatic portrayal, which he was not really known for at the time. Or at least not what I knew he was capable of.

Needless to say, I was a little excited he would do Deadpool first in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. My disappointment would be an understatement. "Let's put Hugh Jackman in another movie! Yeah! And a few more characters we don't understand too! YEAH!"

Whatever. A few years later, my other impression came true BUT it ended up Van Wilder playing as The Emerald Crusader. smh.

Reynolds was proactive in getting Deadpool done the right way. It paid off for him. Thank goodness the third time around was the charm, lol.

maybe just me, but i'm not the biggest Ryan Reynold fan as per superhero movies. he strikes me as another Channing Tatum - who was slated to play Gambit for 2012, which fortunately never got off the ground.

Reynolds is just a face, imo. and brings nuthin' performance wise to any characters. He does not hit you acting impression wise such as Huge Jackson, Chadwick Bosman or Robert Downey Jr.

And Deadpool can be anyone hidden in his crimson costume, long as he continues his wild, quirky, jokingly ways of behavior -under the mask. As one who has been in 3 different superhero flicks (Green Lantern, Hannibal king, and Dead Pool) I think Reynolds gets a lot of calls to act super hero flicks, because romantically flick wise, he's a heart throb and maybe that attracts more of a audience among female teens, couples - just as maybe they attempted to do with Tatum - also once considered a heart throb ?