Comics and Movies

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not as familiar with The Cosmic Wonder's YouTube channel but Emergency Awesome used to post really... elaborate... video commentary when I came across his stuff in the past. Maybe that has changed since then.

I am also not a fan of creators making fake trailers. Some put out stuff good enough to look like the actual studio product. It bites the second I realized, "What the hell? I have seen this before." :muttley:
I have watched videos from both of the sources you mentioned and quickly realized that they add untrue things for attention and shock value. I quickly stopped watching.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I have watched videos from both of the sources you mentioned and quickly realized that they add untrue things for attention and shock value. I quickly stopped watching.
The only consistent fact in all those videos is that Marvel really doesn’t have much of a plan anymore. Shake up at Disney management, so they are definitely trimming a lot of the movies and TV shows, especially anything on Disney+. sounds like anything could be canceled or created though on the fly. Normally, I would be of the opinion, and I think history has shown, that when the studios get hyper-involved, it’s a big mess - look no further than DC’s attempts. In this case, though, I know it probably ruffles the feathers of comic book fans, but I do think they’re doing the right thing in simplifying it and getting rid of so many spin offs. I know I don’t want to have to watch a movie, but have to have seen the one shot special, the two Disney+ series, and maybe a few cameos just to understand the movie storyline.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In this case, though, I know it probably ruffles the feathers of comic book fans, but I do think they’re doing the right thing in simplifying it and getting rid of so many spin offs. I know I don’t want to have to watch a movie, but have to have seen the one shot special, the two Disney+ series, and maybe a few cameos just to understand the movie storyline.
You hit the nail on the head in my case. My feathers have been beyond ruffled.

My perspective is an outlier. I see comic book adaptations as live-action versions of the titles. And comic book publishers have many titles. Titles are occasionally one-shots. Characters have sporadic cameos across titles.

It bothers me how some storylines are presented (and directed) but not the volume of content thrown out for consumption. I am old enough to remember comic book standalone turnstiles at drugstores. Some racks would be stuffed with titles. I could tell not many copies, if any, were touched. Other racks were ravaged before I walked in and I was lucky enough to get a remaining copy. All-in-all, every title was sitting there for any customer to purchase--no matter whether each individual book contained a straight-forward story or a manically driven story.

I understand how anyone feels how the clutter is made available for audiences. Some of us appreciate the clutter though.

Going off-track a bit. At first, I really thought Disney+ would be a great venue for all the clutter. It definitely has not been. In hindsight, I wished Marvel content was separate and available, like via the old, pre-David Zaslav DC Universe type streaming service--except streamlined for hardcore comic book fans only.

It is a dumb idea. It would never accumulated enough subscribers to financially satisfy a studio. I can still dream though. One place for specific content, where subscribers main complaint would be something like, "How does someone like Simon Kinberg keeps getting work???" lol.

/rant

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only consistent fact in all those videos is that Marvel really doesn’t have much of a plan anymore. Shake up at Disney management, so they are definitely trimming a lot of the movies and TV shows, especially anything on Disney+. sounds like anything could be canceled or created though on the fly. Normally, I would be of the opinion, and I think history has shown, that when the studios get hyper-involved, it’s a big mess - look no further than DC’s attempts. In this case, though, I know it probably ruffles the feathers of comic book fans, but I do think they’re doing the right thing in simplifying it and getting rid of so many spin offs. I know I don’t want to have to watch a movie, but have to have seen the one shot special, the two Disney+ series, and maybe a few cameos just to understand the movie storyline.
I criticized their plans when they were first announced. And results have proven my skepticism to have been warranted.

By attempting to appeal to everyone, they alienated their core fanbase. They did what the corporation wanted, not what the fans wanted. And they paid a huge price for it.

I certainly think you can successfully manage a loosely-connected TV and film universe. Characters like Daredevil and the Defenders are great TV-level choices, and they can occasionally appear in the ‘big films’.

Conversely, you can cameo a film name here or there to show a connection. But trying to tie everything together is a big mistake. One they’ve paid for.

But as a subscriber, I don’t think cutting my content is the way to do it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m wondering if it’s not just some joke one-off like John Krazinski as Reese Richards in Doctor Strange.

I would definitely that they signed Cavill for a more important role but Wolverine isn’t it.
Maybe Sabretooth?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
(sigh) ..yeh who would have ever thought Disney, with all of their many quantities of average ho-hum superhero gumps, would find Silver Surfer as " too expensive" .

That's probably what is adding to the deflated backlash of superhero burnt out that the public is apparently feeling right now.
Way too many quantity of the ho-hum superheroes, and not enuff of the sure fire well known hits such as Silver Surfer.

BTW, .. if done properly, a seriously well done Green Lantern would an ideal hit, imo. (Not the comical Sci-Fi channel joke Ryan Reynolds did)

* I'm just hoping Disney has a near future Silver Surfer film saved in it's back pocket, until they finally release the Reboot and new introduction of the new (and improved ?) Fantastic 4, .. which is critical to spin offs such as Silver Surfer ,and introduction of Galactus - and the real Galactus not a mere ridiculous ,dark cosmic rain cloud (per Tim Story) - Uuugh !)

ffbedcb27e2ea1beabb395d4d782d80f.jpg

It doesn’t mean they’re going to cancel them, it just means that they won’t get their own media. So, for example, someone like Silver Surfer might be merged with the Fantastic 4, just like he was with the first films, or maybe even into a Guardians of the Galaxy IV since it’s the ongoing popular space franchise in Marvel Entertainment. At least that’s what the Tubers are saying, but they have CEO Bob Iger confirming the strategy, just not the specifics.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head in my case. My feathers have been beyond ruffled.

My perspective is an outlier. I see comic book adaptations as live-action versions of the titles. And comic book publishers have many titles. Titles are occasionally one-shots. Characters have sporadic cameos across titles.

It bothers me how some storylines are presented (and directed) but not the volume of content thrown out for consumption. I am old enough to remember comic book standalone turnstiles at drugstores. Some racks would be stuffed with titles. I could tell not many copies, if any, were touched. Other racks were ravaged before I walked in and I was lucky enough to get a remaining copy. All-in-all, every title was sitting there for any customer to purchase--no matter whether each individual book contained a straight-forward story or a manically driven story.

I understand how anyone feels how the clutter is made available for audiences. Some of us appreciate the clutter though.

Going off-track a bit. At first, I really thought Disney+ would be a great venue for all the clutter. It definitely has not been. In hindsight, I wished Marvel content was separate and available, like via the old, pre-David Zaslav DC Universe type streaming service--except streamlined for hardcore comic book fans only.

It is a dumb idea. It would never accumulated enough subscribers to financially satisfy a studio. I can still dream though. One place for specific content, where subscribers main complaint would be something like, "How does someone like Simon Kinberg keeps getting work???" lol.

/rant
Last I heard, sounds like DC is still going to do their streaming stuff. There’s a YouTube video floating around with James Gunn showing the game plan. Basically just a repeat of what Marvel does with their phase one through whatever. Seems like all these streamers are pulling back and rethinking their strategy. There was probably a bubble during the pandemic when everyone was staying home and subscriptions were going through the roof. Netflix though seems to have found its momentum. Last I read on them they were starting to make regular profits. They finally inserted ads and cut down on the double-use accounts, which probably gave them a huge boost. They already had the subscribers and the original content network set up. I’m just frustrated that all the streamers are turning into the same thing as free mobile apps. Ad city!

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Last I heard, sounds like DC is still going to do their streaming stuff. There’s a YouTube video floating around with James Gunn showing the game plan. Basically just a repeat of what Marvel does with their phase one through whatever. Seems like all these streamers are pulling back and rethinking their strategy. There was probably a bubble during the pandemic when everyone was staying home and subscriptions were going through the roof. Netflix though seems to have found its momentum. Last I read on them they were starting to make regular profits. They finally inserted ads and cut down on the double-use accounts, which probably gave them a huge boost. They already had the subscribers and the original content network set up. I’m just frustrated that all the streamers are turning into the same thing as free mobile apps. Ad city!
DC Universe was their streaming network several years ago and while the infrastructure and plans for the network didn't work out, the handful of original shows they produced were pretty good. Titans, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, Harley Quinn were all surprisingly good for their fledgling network, some made the jump to HBOMax. I'd like DC to have their own ongoing channel/subcategory over at Max, I guess they kinda do, but something more consistent.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X-Men '97 has started off with a bang. The animation is clean--evolved (pun intended) from the 90's art.

It has already touched upon several storylines from the comics that were around the time of the original series or before. That made me feel good since it was also the time I stopped collecting comics full-time.

The action is improved. It has toned down the theme music a bit (do not like that). Half of the voicework bites at this point in my opinion. Looks like the series may be laying the groundwork for either dedicated episodes or a spin-off showcasing The New Mutants (keeping fingers crossed).

All-in-all, a solid beginning. Umm. A solid second beginning, lol.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
X-Men '97 has started off with a bang. The animation is clean--evolved (pun intended) from the 90's art.

It has already touched upon several storylines from the comics that were around the time of the original series or before. That made me feel good since it was also the time I stopped collecting comics full-time.

The action is improved. It has toned down the theme's music a bit (do not like that). Half of the voicework bites at this point in my opinion. Looks like the series may be laying the groundwork for either dedicated episodes or a spin-off showcasing The New Mutants (keeping fingers crossed).

All-in-all, a solid beginning. Umm. A solid second beginning, lol.
I thought it was just a rerun of the original series. I'm glad we have you here to give us the skinny on all things nerd! Thanks, I'll have to check it out!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just had a doh! moment. Yeah that is not unusual for me. :p

I had already planned on commenting about Carrie-Anne Moss as one of the older Jedi (perhaps as a Jedi Master..?) seen in The Acolyte trailer. Not sure how often she will appear in the series. IMDB has her listed at a single episode.

Personally, I think her Matrix background makes her a perfect casting. Those movies and Star Wars are different but are similar in showing an individual do superhuman acts. Moss made the look seem effortlessly in the Matrix movies. I think she will translate using The Force seem just as natural in the show. And besides. It gives her another opportunity to make her appearance in The Matrix Resurrections disappear even more in her fans eyes. :D:(

Two things made me say doh! while scanning the series' IMDB page though--after watching the trailer about THREE times. Amandla Stenberg and Dafne Keen (left-to-right respectively below) are in the show also. Both are two young actresses, who have basically grown up in front of the camera. I have liked their work from early on as children actors. I'm getting old. :mad:

They were right there and I missed them. Perhaps I can hang my hat on Keen wearing a ton of costume makeup but Stenberg's face is totally unmasked in the scene below.

Maybe I can blame it on my eyes not adjusting to Keen and Stenberg turning 19 and 25. Neither are kids any longer. I hope their respective careers keep getting better and better. May The Force be with them both. ;)

uEkWKKk.gif

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could swear I heard the woman call him T'Challa. Maybe it was my imagination.

Edit: Just re-watched it. I missed the "grandfather" part the first time.
The one thing about anything associated with Marvel is attention to details, including games. Steve Rogers was kickin' it back in 1940's occupied France, which is the setting of the game in the video, but T'Challa, Black Widow, The Hulk, Nick Fury, Tony Stark, etc., were not around then.

quickccc

Reaction score
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/x-men-97-draws-4-144312066.html

X-Men ’97 Draws 4 Million Viewers in Disney+ Debut​

In its first five days of release, the first two episodes of X-Men ’97 amassed four million views, making it Disney+’s most-watched Season 1 premiere for a (Qualifier No. 1) full-length (Qualifier No. 2) animated series since Marvel’s What If…? anthology bowed back in August 2021.

5d33914a9149c296f3b4b9337b09c3c0.jpg